Thread: Studio Liverpool gone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    infoxicated

Unhappy Studio Liverpool gone

Not much more to add - news is emerging this morning that Sony have shut down development for good this time.

So you can all look forward to some kind of Motorstorm/WipEout hybrid in the future when Mick Hocking decides to resurrect it at Evolution.

Probably.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

What on earth... not again...

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Someone might want to close the other thread I made about this I am using my mobile and managed to miss this one sorry. Terrible news though we will miss you SL ...I'm not sure I'm looking forward to any Wipeout/Motorstorm cross bred game either it was a thought that crossed my mind when I saw the article .

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

It's true, it's been confirmed...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...verpool-report

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

sad panda
    kotaku writeup here

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I remember in 2009-2010 the same thing. And even was mixed with Evolution Studios. Nobody told anything more, just it was merged with Evolution Studios. Only in this site i saw that this "staff reduction" was not so big, and was only a few directors or chief programmers or whatever.
    And then, the following year i see the SL logo in the trailer of the newest WipEout 2048. What happened here?

I don't want to see the following sh*t again, even if really Sony confirmed it.

Really 2048 sales were too low? Or maybe that Vita is the one causing that trouble not selling the expected?

If is this really true, first party Sony's games decreased my interest. Well, i'm not even interested in Uncharted. Just WipEout is one.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Anything could've happened to them.

"It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years. Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements".

And of course, closing that studio down is the most smartest thing they could do(!)

"However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers."

Exciting new projects? Where are they? Subjective opinion aside, I don't see any real innovation from you, and I can't help but feel that we'll never see that again.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, maybe I'm longing for the days when we were customers and not consumers, but this just doesn't sit right.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    jaminjack

The video game markets have changed. Free to play games with with buy in game goods. Are putting a real hurt on the gaming industry.
    Wipeout may return in the new format, or it may return when 4K TV emerges with the PS4. Studio Liverpool has 12 to 18 months invested in a new Wipeout. Sony may release it for use on multiple platform or just shelve it.
    Wipeout set the standard for exciting futuristic racing game play. It has achieved a 28 year run making it a legend.
    I wouldn't count on Wipeout disappearing altogether.

I had a wonderful time racing with all the online competitors. I wasn't the fastest or the best. I raced to be part of a community that never could exist anywhere but in the imaginations of a select few. Thanks to all for allowing me to escape my mortal bounds.
    Death is not the end, a new adventure begins.
    shout out to Lurifaxflux

seems pretty abrupt, a sad undignified end to a company and its people that gave so much to help make the playstation what it is

hopefully all those affected can be relocated elsewhere, redundancy sucks big time.

long live the zone!

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Wipeout was one of those games that kept playstation fans loyal to them and now this?
    PS4 will be the final nail in the coffin for sony... even if another company picks Wipeout up i doubt it will ever be the same again.
    Boycott PS4, they may save a few quid by shutting down studio liverpool but hopefully sony will lose a huge number of loyal day 1 purchasers of there consoles.
    Goodbye studio liverpool lets bring sony to its knees.

Timezone
    GMT -6

This is potentially one of the reasons Studio Liverpool was closed: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...688#post219688

Quote Originally Posted by Blaey View Post
    Attachment 6609 Here's my tribute to the guys over at Studio Liverpool
    The forum says that it is an invalid attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGeeza22 View Post
    Wipeout was one of those games that kept playstation fans loyal to them and now this?
    PS4 will be the final nail in the coffin for sony... even if another company picks Wipeout up i doubt it will ever be the same again.
    Boycott PS4, they may save a few quid by shutting down studio liverpool but hopefully sony will lose a huge number of loyal day 1 purchasers of there consoles.
    Goodbye studio liverpool lets bring sony to its knees.
    I am starting to think WipEout 2048 was intentionally made half-baked. The rebellion has already begun...
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 22nd August 2012 at 06:22 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    GalaticTitan

To add insult to injury. This is unbelivable. After making the PS this famious, they decided to pull the plug? Even when they were making a game for them for the PS4? That's beyond stupid. It's one of the main reason's why I loved Sony, and now it feels like they ripped one of the hearts of their own.

No matter. In this; there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel. WipEout WILL come back. It's too famious to go away. I think in maybe from a year or a few months, someone will pick up the pieces eventually and make it alive again. I refuse to belive it'll go down like Extreme-G did. But not WipEout.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    This is potentially one of the reasons Studio Liverpool was closed: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...688#post219688
    NO!
    Please do not start such stupid rumours, you have mentioned this twice now on separate threads and it is completely pointless to do so, and serves no purpose whatsoever

Colin's death had nothing to do with the studio closing at all, end. period.

Colin had left studio Liverpool over 12months ago, he was working on other projects completely unrelated to Sony Liverpool. His death 2 weeks ago was a massive shock and HUGE loss, he was one of the best friends anyone could have.
    Please do not continue to speculate in such a manner, linking two completely separate things.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I started this little run in my pre-teens, walking by the electronics stores on my way home from school, and catching sight of this weird flying-ship racing game on a playable display that nearly gave me vertigo playing it. Every day, I'd stop in to take a run at this interesting game, playing until someone kicked me out.

That was seventeen years ago. Every game that's come out, I've gotten my grubby little mitts on, and driven myself to distraction with it. Wipeout had that certain something, that ability to hold your attention and make you push yourself to beat that time or master the airbrake timing on that curve, or hit that race line just perfectly. Even today, playing 2097 or WO3, I still have people stare at the game, as if hypnotized, those that have never seen it before, anyway.

Vaya con Dios, Studio Liverpool. You've made great works which have imprinted on us in so many ways. Well done.

PSN ID
    Blaey

Attachment 6609 Here's my tribute to the guys over at Studio Liverpool