Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio Liverpool gone

PSN ID
    apemax18

Just found out about this. I first played Wipeout 3 on PS1 and (apart from the fact that i wasn't very good at it) liked it ever since. I hope this isn't the end for the Wipout series.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SomeWhiteNoise

Gutted. Like xplud said above, Wipeout was one of the most influential aspects of my life. Turned me on to so much good music. I'm looking forward to a career in sound design, because of the music I listen to, because Wipeout introduced me to it. Such fantastic games to play. Fun and equally frustrating, but something I always have and always will come back to. I have a PSP for one reason, and that's for Pure and Pulse.

This is not how it's supposed to be.

PSN ID
    Yasir_Said

I really don't think (hope) it will be gone forever but just a while before we will see it again, but probably never the same again.

Was good while it lasted...

So sad.
    All the best to the Liverpool team and thanks for the many hours of entertainment.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    jaminjack

The video game markets have changed. Free to play games with with buy in game goods. Are putting a real hurt on the gaming industry.
    Wipeout may return in the new format, or it may return when 4K TV emerges with the PS4. Studio Liverpool has 12 to 18 months invested in a new Wipeout. Sony may release it for use on multiple platform or just shelve it.
    Wipeout set the standard for exciting futuristic racing game play. It has achieved a 28 year run making it a legend.
    I wouldn't count on Wipeout disappearing altogether.

I had a wonderful time racing with all the online competitors. I wasn't the fastest or the best. I raced to be part of a community that never could exist anywhere but in the imaginations of a select few. Thanks to all for allowing me to escape my mortal bounds.
    Death is not the end, a new adventure begins.
    shout out to Lurifaxflux

seems pretty abrupt, a sad undignified end to a company and its people that gave so much to help make the playstation what it is

hopefully all those affected can be relocated elsewhere, redundancy sucks big time.

long live the zone!

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Wipeout was one of those games that kept playstation fans loyal to them and now this?
    PS4 will be the final nail in the coffin for sony... even if another company picks Wipeout up i doubt it will ever be the same again.
    Boycott PS4, they may save a few quid by shutting down studio liverpool but hopefully sony will lose a huge number of loyal day 1 purchasers of there consoles.
    Goodbye studio liverpool lets bring sony to its knees.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I started this little run in my pre-teens, walking by the electronics stores on my way home from school, and catching sight of this weird flying-ship racing game on a playable display that nearly gave me vertigo playing it. Every day, I'd stop in to take a run at this interesting game, playing until someone kicked me out.

That was seventeen years ago. Every game that's come out, I've gotten my grubby little mitts on, and driven myself to distraction with it. Wipeout had that certain something, that ability to hold your attention and make you push yourself to beat that time or master the airbrake timing on that curve, or hit that race line just perfectly. Even today, playing 2097 or WO3, I still have people stare at the game, as if hypnotized, those that have never seen it before, anyway.

Vaya con Dios, Studio Liverpool. You've made great works which have imprinted on us in so many ways. Well done.

PSN ID
    Blaey

Attachment 6609 Here's my tribute to the guys over at Studio Liverpool

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel__Gaddafi View Post
    I just had a thought, what about online? Does this mean the HD and 2048 servers will be shut down?
    I was going to mention that as well. I think it's only a matter of time now before WipEout is shut off permanently.

This sort of thing disgusts me. How can Sony turn their back on a franchise that defined the PlayStation whilst other, more mediocre companies remain open? Oh well, my opinion isn't going to change anything, so thank you for everything SL. It's been a blast and we'll never forget you.

Timezone
    GMT -6

This is potentially one of the reasons Studio Liverpool was closed: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...688#post219688

Quote Originally Posted by Blaey View Post
    Attachment 6609 Here's my tribute to the guys over at Studio Liverpool
    The forum says that it is an invalid attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGeeza22 View Post
    Wipeout was one of those games that kept playstation fans loyal to them and now this?
    PS4 will be the final nail in the coffin for sony... even if another company picks Wipeout up i doubt it will ever be the same again.
    Boycott PS4, they may save a few quid by shutting down studio liverpool but hopefully sony will lose a huge number of loyal day 1 purchasers of there consoles.
    Goodbye studio liverpool lets bring sony to its knees.
    I am starting to think WipEout 2048 was intentionally made half-baked. The rebellion has already begun...
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 22nd August 2012 at 06:22 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    GalaticTitan

To add insult to injury. This is unbelivable. After making the PS this famious, they decided to pull the plug? Even when they were making a game for them for the PS4? That's beyond stupid. It's one of the main reason's why I loved Sony, and now it feels like they ripped one of the hearts of their own.

No matter. In this; there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel. WipEout WILL come back. It's too famious to go away. I think in maybe from a year or a few months, someone will pick up the pieces eventually and make it alive again. I refuse to belive it'll go down like Extreme-G did. But not WipEout.

Timezone
    GMT -6

WipEout Fusion was the second game they made when they were a part of Sony.
    In WipEout Fusion, Overtel took over the race commision, and Qirex became part of Tigron Enterprises, which if I'm not mistaken are part of Overtel.
    Tigron had uncovered all manner of illegal activities that Overtel were engaged in, so perhaps Studio Liverpool caught Sony doing something they shouldn't.
    A lot of times, I have seen works of fiction heavily influenced by real-life events, so perhaps the Post-Psygnosis WipEout games were Studio Liverpool's way of sending us a message.
    WipEout Fusion: The Race Commision has become corrupt.
    WipEout Pure: AG Racing will never die.
    WipEout 2048: It is the beginning of a new era. There will be mishaps along the road to greatness.

WipEout Fusion is Studio Liverpool telling us that Sony has become equally as corrupt as Overtel. WipEout Pure is Studio Liverpool saying that they will rise again. ANd finally, WipEout 2048 is Studio Liverpool's signal to begin the rebellion.

Basically, the Post-Psygnosis WipEout games were just an interactive Science-Fiction Satire. It would also explain why WipEout HD was based on WipEout Pure and WipEout Pulse, since they most likely wanted it to represent the future resurrection of AG racing.
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 22nd August 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

Just read the news on Facebook. Terrible to say the least. My sentiments are echoed in many previous comments here. I've played every console version of WipEout and have enjoyed them all especially HD. I bought versions on launch day and got my PS3 on launch day with the idea of getting WOHD when it released. I hope the servers for this game are maintained. Great Series, Great Team, and terribly sorry to see them be shut down like that. I'm torn between being angry and sad. I hope this isn't the end of WO. Wishing the SL team the best and quick future employment.

PSN ID
    LJtheZombie/RichardDastardIy

Well, there goes any lingering prospect of another G-Police game.

Rest in peace, Psygnosis.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

I don't know what I will do if they shut down the servers aswell. Racing against you guys or random people has always been lots of fun. I even created a video channel with Cipher because we wanted to fill it up with [online] HD races. The online gaming was at least 40% of the joy for the game. So I really hope that at least the servers will stay alive.
    When I am looking for an online opponent for Fatal Inertia, I found one guy racing with me in half a year. And another race with Mega just because I met him here. But whenever I check the lobbies for Wipeout, there are ALWAYS people playing it. Sure, the list is not full and I think games like Battlefield or whatever are uncomparable, but I saw there are always people playing Wipeout.

I hope Wipeout can be kept alive somehow. I would have bought a PS4 for a new Wipeout. But if there is no new Wipeout, no PS4 for me.
    I just wish we could show Sony how much disappointed we all are [even I know it won't change a thing], & with a new Wipeout as launch title in development, it just feels like the arrogant Sony didn't give a sh*t for the Studio Liverpool crew or the fans of the series.

PSN ID
    Blaey

studioliverpooltribute.jpg Okay let's try this again :/ Here's my tribute to the guys over at Studio Liverpool

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Beautiful. I don't mean to nitpick, but I can't help but point out that it's missing Studio Leeds.
    http://www.studioleeds.co.uk/
    See history here:
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...answered/page3
    Of note: Studio Liverpool's first (wipeout) game was Fusion.
    Last edited by Medusa; 22nd August 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: inaccuracy.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

I love to see all your tributes.

Oh and I just realized Studio Liverpool was also responsible for those great Destruction Derby games which I loves in my childhood. Even I didn't expect a new title anyway, it saddens the thing even more for me

Timezone
    GMT -6

When I first heard that Studio Liverpool closed, I checked Wikipedia just to be sure (and yes, I know it isn't the first place you should check), and I scrolled down to the list of games they released as Studio Liverpool. The first game they released on the PS2 was F1 2001 (released in 2001). The second game they released for PS2 was WipEout Fusion in 2002. And they didn't release either of those games until they were a part of Sony.

Maintenance Mode
    Studio Leeds is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance.

Please try back in 99789 days, 17 hours, and 2 minutes
    (on November 9, 2285 at 12:30 pm).
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Alright, Sony is just trolling us now. Are any of us even going to be alive by then?
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 22nd August 2012 at 08:18 PM.