Thread: Same player twice in online races?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Default Same player twice in online races?

Same name and takes 2 slots on the grid, with different ships! This must have been already explained somewhere, somehow, but i dont get it. How can this be? Is it related to the Xplay with the Vita?

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    OveReAction

It's obviously Crossplay.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Ok, fine. Pardon my ignorance, but how can such function allows someone to be active twice in the same game? How come Sony didnt proceed with something that forbids this?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

1 player on PSVita and 1 on the PS3... I don't see the problem!

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

You'd require crazy multitasking skills there!
    Or perhaps a neural connection to link your brain to the ship(s)

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

I swear i've seen 2 people with the same user name play Wipeout before the vita was released, 2 player splitscreen online? im not sure... maybe im thinking of another racing game.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

once upon a time ...
    there was a bug within the game, that showed 2 players with the exactly same PSN-ID. i experienced it myself when i was in a room with 2 'problemsolver' guys.
    this time it's related to the xplay feature, or the bug's back

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Yeah I've seen that bug before Jan, and apparently I was showing up twice in a lobby one time. Kyonshi, if one of the players has a flag and the other doesn't you can be pretty certain they're using cross play. The one with no flag is the Vita player.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Its not a big problem, no. But i dont get it how it is useful to have one ship you can control and let the other one go pin-ball bouncing on the track. I just dont see the point.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

I can't imagine anybody would want to do that. It's more a case of one person using the PS3 and their friend using the Vita, so they can race each other online whilst in the same room.

They can set up a lobby so they can play if no one joins, instead of just sitting there. It's not a big deal, as if someone else joins one ship just sits there ( you can pass through it since it never moves). Also the person with two is at a disadvantage since he has two systems taxing his online speeds. No records are to be had anymore anyway, since the game is slower now, so it's really no big deal, and you don't have to wait for someone to join your game

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

it happen me long time ago. before patch. I see 2 TERRA-WRISTS in lobby. me and ghost . I have only PS3. very funny. Sony fix this now?

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

If I saw two TERRA-WRISTS I would panic and quit - two of you would be too xtreme!....

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Ohahaha, Mr Scarfrogers you make me laaf. I think two of you also xtreme more fun also

PSN ID
    Cynthira

it happened to me once.
    i left a room and accidentally joined the same again. the result was that i've been displayed twice and the race started.
    one of my ships exploded with the message that i left the game right at the beginning of every race (happened to be a tournament).
    i was kinda confused and never expected something like this to happen.

Timezone
    GMT -5

There used to be a way for people on Japanese accounts to create a 'display' name, which could basically be anything (including another person's PSN ID). Especially with older PSN games like Wipeout, you'd then see multiple players with the same name, though they don't actually belong to the same PSN account. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAe4_kG19y4

I think this has been disabled for some time now, though. What you may be seeing is the cross-play with Vita, as others have suggested.