Thread: To buy or not buy HD/Fury... curious to what others think

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rossriders_86

Default To buy or not buy HD/Fury... curious to what others think

The answer, whatever answer that may be, could be an obvious but given what's been said on the threads in regards to some bugs, while I've been dying to just get HD/Fury for a number of reasons...I'm curious to the opinions of fellow pilots here.

As for why I want HD/Fury, besides again having a long-term interest in the series, but only recenlty having had a means to try and purchase a game within reach (since Pulse for the PS2 is European only...*growls*...), Fusion (for all it's criticism) is on that list and HD/Fury is a potential given I've got (some) access to a Playstation 3.

Another reason is that because I'd also be able to get quite the references to every ship in every form. While I have been able to find what references I could (including someone who was generous enough to leave out for anyone to get, a folder of the varying HD/Fury craft, but not all of em, most glaringly the Fury EG-X among others...but still it's been useful to say the least), I grow tired of searching and I'd rather just get the game(s) and be done with it.

Reason 3 is again, just so I can play and see what's what, while I've played the Demo with Feisar on Vineta K for a total time of 4+ hours, trying to get more of a handle on such techniques as side-shift, and Barrel Rolling, as well as just being a fast, consistent pilot period (racing more akin to wolfgang van uber's ideals than actually using the offensive or defensive weapons). Given the issues that seem to be coming up according to some users...I'm wondering if I should get it at all or wait...

Granted at the end of the day, I need to make up my own mind...but I am curious to the opinions of other pilots here.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TwitchySpitfire

WipEout was the one series I neglected for a long time. I got a taste of it back when WipEout 64 came out and I rented it; but I never got to play any game after that even though I had a PS2. WipEout HD/Fury has bugs, but it has atmosphere and charm that I can hardly find anywhere else. I got so excited, in fact, I still plan to get the PSP-3000 and grab hold of Pure and Pulse. I may even try to play WO3, whether it's via emulator or an actual PSX. There's a suggestive concept that exists, where by games are either defined as art or just merely games. WipEout, as a series and specific titles, is art.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Before the post-2048 patches I would have said yes.
    Taking into account all the recent patches broke the online... I would say no, except if you plan to play only offline.
    My 2 cents...

Timezone
    GMT -5

I'd say still get it. Problems aside, WipEout HD is still one of the best games I've played to date. I was in your position as well, I had played WipEout XL and Fusion and found both of them really fun. Having watched countless videos of HD and looking at everything the website(s) had to offer I eventually got around to getting the game myself and I played it non-stop for quite awhile.

Just be warned that Online won't be all that great since I'd imagine it's still quite dead from the bugs.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

I'd say get it as well. I've played all US home console versions of WO. WOHD is the best IMP. The reply value alone it totally worth it even if you don't play online. Until the bad patch in Feb 2012, I had been playing WOHD consistently since the game came out back in 10/2008. The game is not only fun it's art in motion and playing online against others is great. It was $25 when I bought it. I imagine it's much cheaper now so I can't see why you wouldn't buy it. Plus patch 2.51 and server maintenance seems to have solved lots of problems including restoring ranks.

PSN ID
    miufs

It´s a great game by its own rights.

Just don´t go there expecting the physics/gameplay of Wipeout 2097 or Wipeout 3.
    I really can´t put it into words, but the feeling of "floating" you had in those two games is dead and buried.

Anyway, God bless Psygnosis for Wipeout 2097!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

What miufs said. You should definitely get it, ESPECIALLY if you missed Pure and Pulse.

It's a great game and my favourite of all the new (since Wipeout 3) wipeouts. Even if you have trouble with online (I haven't, but anyway) it's an awesome offline game and one heck of a deal. Plus, this is the only and likely the last wipeout we'll ever get with the option of barrel rolls on or off. (Yes, I had to go there, sorry guys for beating the dead horse.)

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Quote Originally Posted by TwitchySpitfire View Post
    There's a suggestive concept that exists, where by games are either defined as art or just merely games. WipEout, as a series and specific titles, is art.
    If we had signatures on this site, I'd have that. As it is I've settled for giving you positive rep. well said Twitchy

Oh and Rossriders, if you're still debating, just buy it. It's simply a fantastic game, and since 2.51, online is much more stable and much more fun again. I think I've clocked up about 1,100 hours since May 2010, and I don't regret a minute of it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Buy it, you won't regret it.
    As for the online problems, well I think that depends on where you live.
    People in the USA seem to have been suffering more from whatever problems exist.
    There is still a massive challenge ahead of you without going online once, and if you are worried about getting Platinum there are only 6 trophies [5 bronze, 1 silver] that require online play, the hardest to get is Bling Brigade, the others are all pretty easy even if you suffer any online problems.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rossriders_86

Well, after quite a bit of a lot of things, I have decided to get it, along with what's been suggested here.

But what's in the way now is...well money in a big way. Lets just say at the rate of things, I'm going to have to buy my own PS3...and until I do that, gonna be a while until I can setup my own PSN account.

But I will buy it, just when...it'll be a while to say the least.

And in the meantime...well...I'm gonna be opening another thread...asking for a few ship references, for both HD/Fury and 2048...cause it will be a while, and I want to draw what I can, when i can...soon as I can. Much as I hate asking for references, because I'm too used to trying to do so on myself...and what ship screenshots that are out there, aren't quite to what I could use.

But again, I'll likely buy it, but it'll be a while.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Don't buy it. It's pants.
    Instead, get a PSP and Pulse, and you can play the best game in the entire series wherever you like.

I should mention that I'm more or less a Pulse fanboy, and that my views are therefore questionable, though.
    If I were to put that aside, I'd agree with what Temet said; it's a broken mess online now, but well worth getting if you're playing only/mainly offline. Nice looking game, plenty of content and variety, and plays nice enough.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Dude, it's 12 bucks, just get it.

I mean, you've played the demo for 4 hours??!??!?!?!?! You could have been playing the actual game during all that time, with all the ships, tracks, and speed classes.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

You can easily set up a PSN account on the PS3 and buy the game via that, and you can download it onto your new console whenever you get it. Simplest way is probably to create a new user account on the PS3 itself, and then use that to establish the PSN account.

So many people get so dramatic about the most basic things.