Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout Chronicles

@keg11 I'd love to see some of your brilliant writing detailing the the period between the F9000 and FX300.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

Okay, thanks for the suggestion.

Actually, I've been pondering about that recently (particularly in regards to what sport may temporarily replace AG racing during this period, may even cross over with another game outside Wipeout).

I'll see what I come up with.

Timezone
    GMT -6

May I suggest Rollcage?

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

Maybe. Though reading the manual, it assumes it to be an underground series from the 25th century (might need some artistic licence, here)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

Y'know, this makes me want to follow your footsteps, along with Challenger 001, when it comes to writing fanfic stuff related to Wipeout.

Is this still alive?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Deadmaned

@Keg_11

I just noticed on the 2216 results that Tyrrell Byron from Auricom had transferred to Assegai. How did that Happen?

I would write something out of this, but unfortunately I already had something planned out for his continuous storyline recently.

I'm just saying because I do follow and reference this fanfic, and you're always welcome to continue using my pilots anytime. I did liked the idea of what happened to Liana and made a paragraph about it on her storyline, but Tyrrell transferring to Assegai though, wasn't what I had in mind.

BTW, I've been active on here again.
    Last edited by Synergy2048; 5th April 2017 at 09:39 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

Hi Synergy,

If I recall (from a writer's point of view), I had transfered Byron from Auricom because I had felt that he had spent enough time at the team and thought he needed to change.

When it comes to the pilot's tenures at a team and their careers, I try to emulate what a F1 driver would do considering they have a (on average) 10 year career. It's good if a particular pilot is so loyal to a team that they'll only race for that team for their career, but doesn't seem realistic to me.

Plus it gives me a chance to put new characters into the teams and see how their career pans out.

PS: Funny incident I had with Liana which inspired me to write her story as I did: I was flying her Triakis on Metropia (as mentioned in my news report), as I rounded the uphill left after Gemini Pin, I made an error by activiating a boost which saw me fly off the track into an overhead gantry. I finished the race, as you do, but I did debate a bit onto whether to include that in as is or change it somewhat. I left it as is, in part because it was part of the 2214 FX400/350 online events organised here on WZ.
    Last edited by keg_11; 16th April 2017 at 12:01 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Deadmaned

Good to know, and it would make sense for a pilot to find better success from other teams within their race careers. To be honest I wanted to write this somehow for his pilot bio on my thread, but unfortunately I had already planned out a storyline/scenario before seeing the results of 2216. I didn't want to scrap my idea after seeing it until I realized, this is your fiction, you write what you want, I'll just stick to my own.

Perhaps in my fiction he did wanted to transfer to Assegai for better success, but because Qirex pretty much declares a war on the Belmondo foundation and their supporting teams around the same period, he got stuck with Auricom to not only to defend the race commission but also protect his teammate, Rachel Vega, not to abandon her while she goes out to fight Qirex in the racing league. Obviously mine is more story/character-driven while yours is more close to the reality of F1 drivers, though I do take references from here at times.

BTW I did see that video of what happened in that race. Surprised that didn't completely paralyzed her or is able to finish with that neck injury. Of course I had to added in her pilot story.
    Last edited by Synergy2048; 17th April 2017 at 02:18 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy2048 View Post
    BTW I did see that video of what happened in that race. Surprised that didn't completely paralyzed her or is able to finish with that neck injury. Of course I had to added in her pilot story.
    I had to write something to explain why I finished the race. I should've stopped and waited until the race ended, but the heat of the race got to me Also, I did write that Morelli was braced with a sort-of safety exoskeleton that activated in the crash to circumnavigate the neck injury until the end of the race.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Deadmaned

Well she does get very competitive even though she doesn't admit it publicly Triakis was one step ahead, especially with a craft that's also used for military purposes. If the exoskeleton can protect military pilots, so could pilots of the AG-Racing league. The Belmondo Foundation would want this technology installed for all team craft as a regulation to prevent any severe injuries from high G collisions in future race events, cause this collision would have killed her without it despite already there being restraints.

It'll be awhile, but I will post an updated story of this pilot, mentioning this accident.
    Last edited by Synergy2048; 17th April 2017 at 05:45 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

If u want, hang on a sec. I'm jumping back on my computer to start writing new entries (again!), top of the list is 2nd half review of 2214, including details regarding Liana Morelli after the accident. I'll post this tonight (overnight your time).

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

After three years... finally all done!

2214 FX400 AG Race League Review - Part 2

The 2214 Antigravity Racing Championships have given us some of the most hotly contested racing in recent years. The big talking point all season is the performance of Ryoichi Honda and Assegai after taking three wins so far in his rookie season with the African team. However, his efforts have been stained by a retirement at the Chenghou Projects and a DNS at Metropia, which saw him now drawing with defending champion Roman Kovalenko in the League standings. Kovalenko may not have had the season he would like, but his consistent point scores and a win at Chenghou has kept him in firm title contention.
    Meanwhile, another talking point was the serious accident to befall Triakis' Liana Morelli at Metropia, which resulted in a broken neck and paralysis for the 28 year old Italian. It is expected she will return for Round 9 at Sebenco Climb. Other winner this season so far included Tyrrell Byron for Auricom, pulling off a breakthrough first victory at Moa Therma, and Jean Belmondo at Metropia.

ROUND 7 - THE AMPHISEUM

The second half of the 2214 season starts within the party atmosphere of The Amphiseum, even more so this year as it opens the second half of the season compared to previous years where it signifies the close of the first half of the season.
    However, this wasn't reflected in the racing with a fairly uneventful race, which was won by Ryoichi Honda after overtaking polesitter Þora Haraldssen on the first lap. Following behind them were Kovalenko and Byron despite times of parry between the two pilots.
    Most of the action was between Griffin Lang of FEISAR, Sebak Abou-Gazia of Mirage and Englishman Colin Emery of Goteki 45. Lang and Emery qualify beside each other, whilst Abou-Gazia powered from tenth and capitalised the poor luck of Julia O'Connell (Icaras) and Jason Colonomos (Triakis; filling in for Liana Morelli). Most of the battle saw Emery leading despite heavy fire from both his more-experienced opponents. Eventually, his lack of experience showed when he was eliminated on the final lap from Lang's missile. The consensus around the paddock was that if Emery had conserved his shield energy, he could've scored a well-deserved two points.

Overall Standings (7 of 12)

1. R. HONDA (JPN)– 38 pts.
    Assegai
    2. R. KOVALENKO (RUS) – 35 pts.
    Harimau
    3. T. HARALDSSEN (NOR) – 29 pts.
    AG Systems
    4. J. BELMONDO (FRA) – 22 pts.
    EG-X
    5. L. MORELLI (ITA)– 21 pts.
    Triakis
    6. T. BYRON (USA) - 19 pts.
    Auricom
    7. G. LANG (GER) - 14 pts.
    FEISAR

ROUND 8 - MODESTO HEIGHTS

Round 8 returned the AGRC to Makana to another track the AG pilots didn't look forward two. Modesto Heights was, in some areas, harder than Chenghou, specifically the tunnelled section within the Scleradome Reseach Hub. However, to everyone's surprise, pole position was given to Jason Colonomos in the tank-like Triakis with Honda narrowly behind in second. The was speculation following the qualifying that Triakis were up to no good again. But after investigation, Triakis were cleared of any wrong doing.
    Sure enough, the pole position was a mere fluke as Colonomos fell back quite quickly in the pack, but powered back near the front quite quickly as well, even eliminating Honda! Alas, mismanagement of the shields and several mine collisions saw him drop back to a predicable-yet-impressive 6th place and two points.
    Meanwhile, the race quickly went out the window following retirements of Honda, Byron (by his own doing) and Belmondo within moments of each other. All of a sudden, the backmarker teams of Goteki, Icaras and Piranha looked set of points positions. But, like the others, they soon fell...except for Emery in the Goteki. Obviously learning from his retirement from the previous race, he paced himself quite well to finish 5th, just 6 seconds behind the Qirex of Nadia Elenova.
    Out of the smoke came the teal arrow that was none other than the FEISAR of Griffin Lang. Despite qualifying fifth, he powered to the front as soon as it started and never looked back. His 2nd ever victory sure gave him a smile on his face. Haraldssen and Kovalenko made sure they followed Lang out of the debris scoring 2nd and 3rd respectively. In Kovalenko's case, it meant regaining the lead in the points standings.

Overall Standings (8 of 12)

1. R. KOVALENKO (RUS) – 40 pts.
    Harimau
    2. R. HONDA (JPN)– 38 pts.
    Assegai
    3. T. HARALDSSEN (NOR) – 35 pts.
    AG Systems
    4. J. BELMONDO (FRA) – 22 pts.
    EG-X
    4. G. LANG (GER) - 22 pts.
    FEISAR
    5. L. MORELLI (ITA)– 21 pts.
    Triakis
    6. T. BYRON (USA) - 19 pts.
    Auricom

ROUND 9 – SEBENCO CLIMB

The frightful Sebenco Climb, located near the summit of Mount Sebenco, was the setting for Round 9 of the 2214 season. Honda grabbed pole in what was a tightly contested qualifying between all of the better handling ships of the League. Haraldssen and Lang would round out the top 3 followed by Kovalenko, who found the tight uphill climb particularely tricky despite flying a Harimau. Particular praise go to Liana Morelli, who returns to the cockpit after her horrific accident at Metropia but still feeling the effects from the accident. She was able to pilot the tank-of-a-Triakis around the maze which is Sebenco Climb to start in 5th place! This result gave her the praise of everyone in the paddock and hope for her speedy recovery. Byron, Belmondo and Piranha's Thiago Castillo round out the eight.
    Initially, the front four ships were closely matched, but some unlucky mines pushed Kovalenko back out of contention. However, he did have a good battle with Morelli and Castillo before Castillo was eliminated due to mines. Morelli did show good promise, but it came down to how the Harimau was far more superior on this track compared to the Triakis. Kovalenko would place 4th and Morelli in 5th. Regardless, Morelli's performance was responded to by the admiration and cheer from the crowd. Also, Haraldssen would keep her race to herself and place 3rd.
    This race is best known for the epically close battle between Honda and Lang to take the lead. Honda did an incredible job in keeping pace in the Assegai, but for every inch of the race, Lang and his FEISAR was right behind him. Eventually, Lang managed to get past Honda as they entered the Weissner Cut, only for Honda to undercut back into the lead. This would continue until the very last corner of the race, where Lang darts to the inside and hits the boost pad, allowing him to draw equal with the Assegai. When they crossed the line, it was a dead heat: both race times were identical with Lang coming out on top. There were a few tense moments as race officials scoured through the race data to verify the result. Lang was awarded the race win.
    Honda's second and Kovalenko's 4th would see them equal 1st in the championship with 44 points with 3 races left to go. Haraldssen is still in third, but Lang passes Belmondo to assume 4th on 30 points. Belmondo and Morelli are equal 5th on 24 points to round out the top 6.

Overall Standings (9 of 12)

1. R. KOVALENKO (RUS) – 44 pts.
    Harimau
    2. R. HONDA (JPN)– 44 pts.
    Assegai
    3. T. HARALDSSEN (NOR) – 40 pts.
    AG Systems
    4. G. LANG (GER) - 30 pts.
    FEISAR
    5. J. BELMONDO (FRA) – 24 pts.
    EG-X
    6. L. MORELLI (ITA)– 24 pts.
    Triakis

ROUND 10 – ÜBERMALL

Qualifying saw the battles started at Sebenco follow on into Übermall. Kovalenko scored his second pole of the season followed closely by Morelli's Triakis despite some concerns over her back recovery. Lang and Honda qualified third and fourth respectively. However, attention quickly drew to the growing title fight between Kovalenko and Honda, with the two pilots equal in the standings. At this point, the only two other pilots that could catch them were Lang (though behind by 14 points) and Haraldssen (whose rather subpar qualification put her starting 5th). Elenova, Belmondo and Byron rounded the top 8 by placing 5th, 7th and 8th respectively.
    From out of the box, both Kovalenko and Lang blaze in front, with Morelli, Haraldssen and Honda fighting hard behind despite a set of mines pushed Honda behind briefly. However, the most shocking part of the race was about halfway through the race. In an event eerily similar to both Metropia and Übermall 2213, Morelli crashed into the archway at the Barterhall chicane. Once again, a mistimed boost (though not uncommon at this part of the track) saw Morelli's Triakis fly higher in the air than she should which caused the front to impact the arch, causing her craft to flip into the track, knocking out Morelli. The race was immediately suspended so that track officials can see to Morelli. What saved her life twice was the same exoskeleton that saved her in Japan, though it was now augmenting her flying. But more importantly, it would secure and supported her neck in the event of an elimination (though they didn't expect lightning to strike twice). Subsequent diagnosis saw minimal changes to her current condition, though the immediate consensus in the paddock was immediate retirement.
    Meanwhile, Lang was keeping Kovalenko at bay for a while, but a missile hit would see Lang fall back behind Kovalenko and into a battle with Haraldssen and Honda. Whist he was able to recover, he would slowly regain the time he lost and reach Kovalenko's afterburner. However, it was little too late with Kovalenko crossing the finish line to take his second win of the season. Haraldssen would finish in third behind Lang, thereby severely damaging Honda's title hopes. He finished 4th and now drags behind Kovalenko by 4 points. The win also sees only Lang, Haraldssen and Honda as the only pilots with a mathematical chance of beating Kovalenko to the title.
    After taking advice from doctors and the Commission, Liana Morelli announced her retirement from the FX400, though effective at season's end claiming "If I can race, I'll race. I'm not leaving without at least one win!"

Overall Standings (10 of 12)

1. R. KOVALENKO (RUS) – 52 pts.
    Harimau
    2. R. HONDA (JPN)– 48 pts.
    Assegai
    3. T. HARALDSSEN (NOR) – 45 pts.
    AG Systems
    4. G. LANG (GER) - 36 pts.
    FEISAR
    5. J. BELMONDO (FRA) – 25 pts.
    EG-X
    6. L. MORELLI (ITA)– 24 pts.
    Triakis

ROUND 11 - SOL 2

A fan favourite from both the FX300 and FX350, Sol 2 returns to the FX400 as the penultimate race of the season and the final one on Makana. Coming into this race there was two talking points: one on the title fight primarily between Kovalenko and Honda, and by extension Haraldssen and Lang; but also about Morelli still racing after two horrific accidents. Even more so regarding her performance particularly here at Sol 2 managing 2nd in qualifying behind Haraldssen. Honda and Kovalenko managed 3rd and 4th, creating yet another interesting scenario for the race.

A good start for both Haraldssen and Honda see them assume the lead briefly as Haraldssen runs too wide over Talos Sweep and falls off, causing her to be moved back on track and delayed by 3 seconds. But, Morelli makes a charge for the front along with Kovalenko. Meanwhile, Tyrell Byron makes an equally good start from 5th and would battle with Honda for 4th, eventually doing so at the start of the second lap. This would also turn to second as Kovalenko fell victim to a set of mines from Morelli. Halfway through the race, more disaster: Honda falls off the track after hitting one of Byron's mines!
    Towards the end of the race, both Honda and Haraldssen had recovered from their off track excursions, only for Haraldssen to fall off again, along with Kovalenko! Fortunately, no-one had been eliminated from this method (though Castrillo was already out due to a plasma bolt from Elenova). This put the battle for first in the hands of Liana Morelli and Tyrrell Byron. Byron had held the lead from Morelli, but a well-placed bomb from Morelli when she got the lead back was the final nail in the coffin. Despite two horrific accidents and against the odds, this girl from Italy had won her first FX400 race! Byron would place second and Honda in third, keeping alive his title hopes. Elenova was in the running, but engine problems in her Qirex saw her drop back before eventually being eliminated at the end of the race.
    Honda's win would bring him to within two points of Kovalenko, with Haraldssen also in the running on 49 points. Lang's failure to capitalise in this race (finished outside the points in 8th) would put him out of title contention. What would we see at the end of the final race: Kovalenko's third title in a row, Haraldssen's first or the first title for a Japanese pilot in the FX era (& 80 years!)?

Overall Standings (11 of 12)

1. R. KOVALENKO (RUS) – 55 pts.
    Harimau
    2. R. HONDA (JPN)– 53 pts.
    Assegai
    3. T. HARALDSSEN (NOR) – 49 pts.
    AG Systems
    4. G. LANG (GER) - 36 pts.
    FEISAR
    5. L. MORELLI (ITA)– 32 pts.
    Triakis
    6. T.BYRON (USA) – 28 pts.
    Auricom

ROUND 12 - TALON'S JUNCTION

The final round of the 2214 FX400 season was turing out to be a thriller. Whislt it looked like it was a three-way fight between Kovalenko, Honda and Haraldssen, in reality it was a Russo-Japanese grudge match between by far the two best pilots of the season. A win for Honda would be mega for the sport and Honda's native Japan, where not only it would be the country's first in the FX era, but the first champion since the great Katsuogo Muro in 2134, 80 years previously. Conversely, a Kovalenko victory would ensure he would stand as one of the great Russian Rockets ever to race in the sport: up with the likes of Reznikov, Rykov and Solaar.

Sadly, the race turned to be anticlimactic. For Honda, the pressure of fighting for the title was a bit too much for the young rookie as he slid back in the pack despite qualifying third. Although there was a bit of a fight in the midpack, it eventually settled to be a relatively calm race. The only other noteworthy incident involved a well-timed rocket by Haraldssen against Icaras' Julia O'Connell, which saw Haraldssen assume third from the stricken Icaras. Byron was the one who capitalised the most of Honda's faltering and locked down second. Elsewhere, engine problems forced Lang to miss the race whereas Morelli started and finished well back, claiming she wanted to take it easy for her final race.

But the star of the show was Roman Kovalenko. Despite almost losing the lead by one of Honda's rockets, the seasoned Harimau pilot kept a clean race and won it by a massive 5 second margin over Byron. Kovalenko finishes the season with 3 wins, 8 podiums, 3 poles and 2 fastest laps. This also gives Harimau its third title, equalling it with FEISAR and continuing its position as the most successful team introduced in the FX era. However, some are saying that because it was so hard for Kovalenko to win this year's championship, his reign will not last.

We shall see in 2215!

Final Standings

1. R. KOVALENKO (RUS) – 63 pts.
    Harimau
    2. R. HONDA (JPN)– 56 pts.
    Assegai
    3. T. HARALDSSEN (NOR) – 54 pts.
    AG Systems
    4. G. LANG (GER) - 38 pts.
    FEISAR
    5. T.BYRON (USA) – 34 pts.
    Auricom
    6. L. MORELLI (ITA)– 32 pts.
    Triakis
    7. J. BELMONDO (FRA) – 26 pts.
    EG-X
    8. N. ELENOVA (RUS) – 16 pts.
    Qirex
    9. S. ABOU-GAZIA (UAE) – 14 pts.
    Mirage
    10. T. CASTILLO (BRA) - 4 pts.
    Piranha
    11. C. EMERY (ENG) – 4 pts.
    Goteki 45
    12. J. COLONOMOS (GRE) - 2 pts.
    Triakis
    13. C. MANDEL (AUT) - 0 pts.
    Triakis

Tributes to those pilots retiring this year:
    • Thiago Castillo (BRA) - Joined 2207 (Piranha)
    • Nadia Elenova (RUS) - Joined 2207 (Qirex)
    • Jean Belmondo (FRA) - Joined 2209 (Icaras, EG-X)
    • Sebak Abou-Gazia (UAE) - Joined 2209 (Mirage)
    • Liana Morelli (ITA) - Joined 2211 (Triakis)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Deadmaned

Sad to hear Liana's career end this way, but she got her wish to win one race in this championship at least. Who would of thought she would make the same mistake again at Ubermall only for it to actually knock her out this time.

I got an idea from this, though it won't be awhile until her story gets posted. Looks like Thiago & Sebak had also left as well. Guess I need to make an update on Thiago's story then. In my fiction he still races but doesn't come back to the championships due to coming short in most seasons, not good enough as he thought. For Byron, I'll probably make an alternate paragraph that's canon to this, but for my fiction officially, he stays with Auricom due to the events that occurred in my story-line.

Glad you posted this, should inspire me for Liana's point of view including Sebak's. I'll make her memorable.
    Last edited by Synergy2048; 18th April 2017 at 06:59 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

It would be interesting to see what future stories and articles come about with the release of Omega Collection.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

Here's couple of more entries I've written up. As for Omega content, I'll be working on a bit of that now, maybe propping up Van-Über coming back into the sport and going into the 2217 season.

2213-14 Turbo Accidents - Jokela & Morelli

The Turbo Collisions of 2213 and 2214 were a series of incidents which involved the use of turbo boosts during races which led to sickening crashes involving ships flying off track and into scenery. Whist never really thought of in the past, the increased speed of the ships, not including the boost, and the questionable locations they've been used, cause the death of one pilot and the paralysation of another. These incidents would kick-start the FX400's reinvention during this decade.
    When the FX300 League was established in 2197, a considerable focus of the FX300 AG Race Commission was the safety of the pilots and spectators in race conditions. Wanting to avoid the elimination heavy formula used in the F9000, the League opted for more racing focus with weapon use playing more of a "wild card" role, echoing the earlier F3600 and F5000 Leagues. In saying that, the Commission applied a vast array of safety features that would protect pilots, officials and spectators alike. These features include an indestructible safety cell containing the pilot, energy shielding for spectator areas, and stringent test conditions for tracks and ships alike. It was claimed that the FX300 was the safest League in the history of the sport.

Naturally, the confidence of the FX300 flowed on to the FX400 and FX350 Leagues with few changes. However, there were increasing calls for several AGRC regulations to be reviewed or changed going into the 2210s. Safety was a major point, as it was acknowledged that the speed of the craft had increased since the sport returned (albeit nowhere near the leap compared to when a League was upgraded). Jean Belmondo, 2210 champion and son of Commission Chair Natasha Belmondo, commented "While we have been fortunate the sport has ran so well, now is not the time to be complacent. I would think that a reflection and rethink of the sport will be necessary... and I rather not see it happen after a disaster". Unfortunately, this wasn't the case.

The AGRC experienced its first pilot fatality at a top tier meeting in 2213. Emma Jokela, a Finn flying for Piranha in the FX350, was killed after a collision whist qualifying for the penultimate race of the season at Übermall. It's well known that pilots avoid the chicane at the end of the Barterhall Centre by using a turbo boost on the hill before the chicane and fly over it. The only concern at this point was the increase in speed of the ships caused them to fly higher and higher above the track. Jokela used her boost too early when coming over the crest of the hill. This made her Piranha to fly too high and made contact with the archway exit of the Mall. The collision with the arch and then the ground caused extreme trauma within Jokela's body: the ship was intact, but Jokela was thrown about inside. Jokela had no chance.

Piranha decided not to race in the final round of the FX350 out of respect to Jokela, but the Race Commission was placed into the spotlight over the incident. Through their investigation, they determined that there was an issue regarding the use of turbo at particular parts of the track during a race and in qualifying. As a trial, they agreed that turbos would not be used in the first half of the 2216 season, for both FX350 and FX400. This prompted some protest by the FX400, but the Commission remained true to their word.

Jokela's accident was also put down as freak by the majority of the AG community, claiming that the top FX400 pilots are careful with the use of the turbo. But, about six months after Jokela's death, a similar incident will hit the FX400 by a well-established pilot.

Liana Morelli had been an inaugural FX350 pilot and already raced 3 seasons of the FX400 (all with Triakis). Commentators note that Morelli was a good fit for the tank-like Triakis, but consistency was an issue. This was improving in 2213 to give her a career best 5th place, which continued into 2214. But she came unstuck in the most horrific way at Metropia.

Starting in third, Morelli dropped to sixth during the first lap. Gaining a turbo whist coming out of Gemini's Pin, she intended to used it on the upcoming straight. But, like Jokela, she used the turbo a bit too soon. Morelli's craft verged outwards, over the barrier and into an arch foundation, launching the Triakis into the air. The world held its breath for a moment, fearful that Morelli had been killed. But once the ship landed, it carried on as if nothing happened. Diagnosis saw that Morelli was fine as was her ship, but her speed had decreased. She would finish a respectable 6th, but when Triakis personnel and medical teams got to her, they saw that Morelli had been paralysed.

What kept Morelli flying was a new safety feature Triakis quietly installed onto their craft. An extensive, neural-controlled "exoskeleton" as deployed around Morelli's body when the craft struck the arch, allowing her to continue the race. This technology had been used for years in Triakis' grav-tanks, but use of AG racing had been met with scrutiny by the commission. The results seen at Metropia saw the Commission to commission Triakis to develop this exo-suit so it can be used for future AG craft designs.

Nonetheless, the calls for restrictions on turbo use, as well as increasing calls for a full review of the AGRC's safety regulations, were becoming quite vocal. Naturally, Natasha Belmondo would announced a special review board into the safety of AG racing. The scope of this body was to develop a series of recommendations on safety improvements that the AGRC will implement as part of a whole raft of new regulations to be introduced in 2216-17.
    Meanwhile, Morelli was out for the next three rounds as she began the long process of recovery of her spine, which was severely damaged as a result of the accident. The extraordinary efforts of the doctors seeing to her would see Morelli return to AG racing at Sebenco Climb, albeit with the exosekeleton that saved her now aiding her.

The following round was at Übermall, not even a year later from the race that claimed Emma Jokela's life. But to everyone's shock and horror, lightning struck twice. On the penultimate lap of the race, Morelli used another boost too early on the hill in the Barterhall Centre and collided with the exit archway. Morelli was knocked unconscious and the race was halted. In an even more miraculous event, Morelli came to. But the consensus around the paddock and the spectators was that Morelli should quit to save her any more accidents like this. Morelli agreed, but not before she sees out the rest of the season. She would proved all those who doubted her ability wrong when she took her only win at the penultimate race of the season at Sol 2.

The second incident at Übermall really stoked the fires of those who demand more action be taken place to ensure the safety of all pilots in AG racing. The Turbo Boosts during qualifying were outright banned and were restricted during races to straightaways, controlled by a lockout code. Massive protests were organised demanding the banning of Übermall and complete revisions on all tracks to make sure these incidents don't occur. Übermall's place on the calendar is secured for a few more years, but it's place in AG racing is considerably at risk.
    Last edited by keg_11; 3rd July 2017 at 10:17 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

2215 Modesto Heights Disaster

The 2215 Modesto Heights Disaster is, without a doubt, the worst AG accident in the FX era. This is put down to a variety of reasons, on top of which was the scale and the freakiness of the incident. No one had expected an AG ship to shoot up into the air upon elimination, impacting a energy shield, that shield failing, and the ship itself crashing into unsuspecting spectators. When Þora Haraldssen's AG Systems crashed into the overhead Lucas Skyway, the world was shocked and questions were asked regarding the overall safety of the sport, especially considering several similar incidents before. Haraldssen's accident was the peak of some very controversial accidents that plagued the AGRC over the preceding couple of years.

The FX400 and FX350 AG Racing Leagues were brought into disrepute during the 2213 and 2214 due to questions being raised over the speed and safety of the ships. Finnish FX350 pilot Emma Jokela was killed after her Piranha struck and archway whilst qualifying for the penultimate round at Übermall. The following year, Liana Morelli saw herself in two accidents of similar nature to Jokela's, the latter of which was a carbon copy of the fatal crash. Fortunately, Morelli survived both wrecks, but her spine was severely damaged as a result, and despite the best efforts of the doctors, she would not walk again. Some strict regulations were enacted for the 2215 season, including no turbo boosts during qualifying and the use of such boosts limited to straights during races.

Þora Haraldssen had become the darling of the FX400. After winning two FX350 titles, she immediately impressed in her first year at the FX400, with 2 winds, 4 podiums and 3rd overall. Not only that, she continued her strong showing throughout 2214 as well. Pundits were already calling her a future champion. Her on track pace was nicely paired with her sensitive nature, not being overly aggressive but providing a good mix of pace with necessary weapon fire to balance the field somewhat. The only thing she needed to win was a bit more luck.

The first half of 2215 saw a good start for Haraldssen, managing three podiums including a nicely fought win at Moa Therma. However, failure to score at Metropia and Tech De Ra did not help her title fight. In saying that, she was only four points behind second place Jean Belmondo, EG-X, along with Roman Kovalenko (Harimau) and Emirati Obaid Meer from Mirage separated by one point.
    The round following Tech De Ra was Modesto Heights, winding though the industrial sector of the Makana's main city, Vineta. The event had started poorly for AG Systems, with the team's FX350 challenger, Eriko Shimizu, eliminated during her race. Haraldssen had started in the midpack, but as the raced went on, her pace improved and would reach 2nd at one point. However, a missile would drop her down to fourth, but still within striking distance of the top. What happened next was chain reaction to disaster.

By this point, Haraldssen's energy levels were below 40 (due to a few barrel roll manoeuvres earlier in the race. As she was exiting the Scleradome Research Hub, she ran into the minefield of Meer's Mirage, which pulled her into the wall and colliding heavily with Griffin Lang's FEISAR. Haraldssen recovered and passed Lang back, but now she was on critical health. Sure enough, she would be eliminated moments later by another missile, but the subsequent explosion of the missile launched Haraldssen sideways into the Lucas Skyway in excess of 450km/h, penetrating through the energy shield and into the Skyway itself.

Haraldssen's AG-S lay on its side in the centre of the skyway, along with the bodies of 15 spectators, with a further 12 injured. The race was promptly abandoned, with Meer gaining victory, but the whole world of AG racing was in a state of shock and fear; fear of the state of AG racing considering the serious accidents the sport had seen in recent years. Haraldssen herself walked away unscathed, but collapsed upon realisation of what had happened. Very quickly, it was established that this was the worst AG accident in the FX era and the first of its kind since the Temtesh Bay Disaster.

In response to the accident, the next round of the season at Sebenco Climb was delayed by two weeks to allow the organisers to address immediate safety concerns regarding the track, as well as allow the FX400 Race Commission to make amendments for their new rules for 2216. Natasha Belmondo, in one of her last engagements as Commission Chairperson, personally took to this task to make sure an event like this does not happen again. This commitment would continue for her even after she formally retired from the role at the end of the year.

Haraldssen never fully recovered from the incident. Though she did race at Sebenco Climb, the trauma from the accident hindered her performance. She would initially announce her immediate retirement at the conclusion of the race, but she was convinced by AG Systems to stay on for 2216 to fulfil the remainder of her contract. Meanwhile, she would be rested for the following two rounds and made an appearance at the final round at Talon's Junction.

Investigations regarding the accident put down the cause to a combination of factors: the use of barrel rolls and weapon fire could create unnecessary overuse of the ship's shield energy; the missile that eliminated Haraldssen (deduced to have come from Roman Kovalenko's Harimau) and an energy shield that malfunctioned under the strain of Haraldssen's ship (they were only designed to mainly deflect weapon fire).

Amongst the new regulations that were to be introduced for 2216 irrespective of Modesto Heights, ships in both FX400 and FX350 would run in the speed class one lower from their current class (Rapier and Flash respective), weapon damage would be dialled down, and starting from 2217, all weapon systems used by teams would be one of a few predetermined systems co-developed with the Race Commission. Also, spectator shileding would be improved to handle more powerful energy.
    Another rule was the ban on all spectator areas outside specific grandstands and other approved spectator areas, leaving tracks like Modesto Heights and Übermall at risk.

On a good note, a lot of support was thrown behind Haraldssen amongst other pilots affected by this disaster, which encouraged her to fly in 2216. A tough battle between her, Jakob Sommer (Triakis) and Julia O'Connell (Icaras) won ensue, but would result in Haraldssen finally gaining her fist, and only, FX400 title.

https://youtu.be/RnG9U5-_A3M
    Last edited by keg_11; 6th July 2017 at 11:41 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

Added actual video of the Modesto Heights Disaster (see above). Funny incident where the ship glitched through the scenery.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Show that clip (and your story) to Clever Beans. They can fix the bug, and in doing so enforce new safety standards to prevent the disaster from ever repeating itself.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

That video was from HD Fury last year I think. It was just a funny random moment.