Thread: Weapons Amnesty

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Question Weapons Amnesty

I call all good pilots to give up there mines and bombs... i never use them because they make me feel dirty,
    When your in the lead by 5 seconds or more why spam the track with mines and bombs when you know that your going to win 9 times out of 10... i dont see the reasoning behind using them? even when theres a dude right behind you just absorb everything so they cant attack or absorb until you get something decent... i have more respect for pilots who slow down intentionally just to shoot rockets (very annoying lol) than i do for people crapping out bombs!
    i know 80% of the pilots will read this as theres 70-80 people on this forum 24/7.
    So please, close your corn holes when your ahead by 5secs+ and look for something else... or does that require to much skill

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

But isn't it part of the game to use bombs and mines? I see it this side: If you managed to get ahead for 5 or more seconds, then it's because you are more skilled and why should you not use bombs or mines then? It sometimes also happened to me that I am leading a field and have some distance to the rest, and then the Quake is rolling up on me exactly at the point where the track splits at Anulpha Pass for example so I fall off the track, get double damage and loose my leading position even I was ahead for some seconds. So do you want the leader of the field to only use Quake and Rockets [what for??] and the last one in the field to drop mines which maybe won't stay 'till the next round anyway?

Mines and bombs are part of WipEout. You get warned if there is something ahead so you can get prepared. Of course it's nasty sometimes when there is a field of mines in or behind a sharp corner... try do deal with it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    elsalmantino

Having to dodge bombs from someone with a 7 second lead is indeed annoying, but so is getting hit with 3 point blank rockets, or having the guy behind you get loads of turbos in the last lap... Races with weapons on just aren't fair, some pickups are much, much better than others depending on the situation, and only luck determines which you'll get.

I'll agree that there's a problem with bombs and mines, though. With most forward weapons it's very hard to hit someone 2 secs ahead of you, even the ridiculously OP quakes won't reach you if you have a 4-5 second advantage, so I don't understand why bombs/mines have to last longer. I never lay them if I have more than 2 seconds on the guy trailing me; anything closer than that is fair game, because I know he'll have no qualms about sniping me with a missile if he gets a hold of one. Now, if someone were to call an amnesty about using quakes I'd be 100% behind that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Green racing is the ticket geeza, very hard to get people to agree to though you need to limit who you're playing with if it's ever going to work. That or racing with no weapons at all.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

I have a "4 second rule" whereby if I have a lead of 4 seconds or more I'll absorb any mines or bombs. Maybe it should be less than 4 seconds but I'm quite panicky when leading against good players and I sometimes tend to leave half of Cambodia behind me.

I sometimes think I'm a bit of a thug in general, I win a lot of races by shooting the sh*t out of everything in sight (Oryx will verify this ), rather than through perfect lines and advanced BRs. But I played a lot of Eliminator when I started HD, and I'm quite proud of my weapon skills. It's swings and roundabouts really, what comes around goes around. All good fun

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I can verify this indeed! You thug you to be honest though I'm not too bothered about weapons when I know and like but above all respect the player in question, if it's a no name player or someone who I either don't respect or like I'll get pissy. I'm a bit of a whiner as I'm sure master Gaddafi can verify XD. I generally don't like it when skill is replaced by massive weapons fire though, not when it becomes a conscious tactic.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Mines are useless after five seconds because they self-destruct.
    Use bombs though, they're part of the game. Unless you set weapons off. Also it takes a fair amount of skill to place a bomb just right on the tarmac to hit the person behind. It's not just instapresssquarelol.
    docfo4r has it right, try to deal with it. There's already so few players left that dividing them up in "green" or "no blues" or "no reds" or whatever else is silly IMO. You won't be playing with anyone if you do that.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

You all have some great points! maybe im just a sore loser lol... i had some great races today where there was plenty of mines and bombs used but as we were all very close i didnt mind because that helped people to win very tight races! its when people drop them just for the sake of it. Quakes don't usually bother me because its good to see an underdog gain a few places but quakes are usually quite rare compared to mines and bombs, im not asking people to stop using them im just asking for common sense which i know that you all have... Also quakes only take a few seconds off of your lead (unless your in mid air lol) and it slows everyone down so usually theres no advantage unless the quaker is 1 or 2 seconds behind 1st place (very rare).
    @docfo4r im not asking for the person leading by 5sec+ to only use Quake and Rockets... thats even worse lol, that will just make the dude whose last get a dnf and i hate to see people get lapped, shields and turbos is what i look for so i can improve my race time instead of manipulating who comes 2nd, 3rd etc
    So... if im in the lead i will leave all the speed and weapons pads bomb free so fellow pilots can try to test me but if i keep winning by 5 seconds or more il probably leave the lobby and look for some competition instead of bombing weaker pilots and newbies.

tl;dr If your miles ahead show some respect and let the pilots who are miles behind race amongst themselves.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I generally race green, unless provoked. If you run into me online some time geeza I promise you no weapons only shields turbos and autopilots. Alas the one thing I really do quite honestly detest is to drop bombs to intentionally have them lapped and blow up the leader, either to mess with them cause you've been lapped or because you're too far behind and and can't catch up by skill alone and quakes can't reach.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I try to race green as well. Although a handful of skilled pilots irritate me with their weapons. I don't mind the occasional missile to catch up or pass me since I'm eating all the weapon pads, but I detest all bombs and mines. Why have them in the game if there isn't a weapon that can reach someone in first? They automatically win on a track like Moa Therma. I also don't like how I can predict someone is going to use every pick-up they get because they're using AG-Systems to get that first weapon pad.

All-in-all I've learned to live with it though. They have fun playing their own way and I'm okay with that, I just know that my favorite times playing WipEout were with DP, yeldar, Lady, and of course that lovely Swede Oryx.

PSN ID
    LJtheZombie/RichardDastardIy

Most of the time (Unless I'm feeling villanous) I'll only drop mines and bombs in self-defence - that is, if I'm being shot at. Then I see how much my opponent uses them and follow suit, seems to work out more often than not.

I know that high-thrust ships can be and are used in the way Frailavi describes, but not all of us are like that. I go for the first pad mostly so that it isn't used against me, but of course the early turbo is always welcome!

Having said that, my favourite way to race is still 6-laps/weapons off.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    P_Denton, hyperfluous

Being spiteful and petty is fun, lapped bombs surprising and cannon kills awesome.

PSN ID
    drMannevond

That's what machineguns, rockets, missiles, quakes, shields and sideshifts are for
    But I won't drop bombs or mines if I'm way ahead. I will however drop bombs if I'm in last place and first place is less than 5 secs ahead.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

lol, nice comments!
    I got bombed and mined a few times today but i kept my cool and bombed them back on the next race lol...
    This was just a thought so i wasnt expecting everyone to follow my lead, i guess i just like to be chased and to win without using bombs.
    I know who i can trust lol, but to those who bomb me beware... i have bombs with your name on

PSN ID
    Ziz528

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel__Gaddafi View Post
    I have a "4 second rule" whereby if I have a lead of 4 seconds or more I'll absorb any mines or bombs. Maybe it should be less than 4 seconds but I'm quite panicky when leading against good players and I sometimes tend to leave half of Cambodia behind me.
    Yes. You do.
    I generally have a 5 second rule too, in that I find absorbing bombs and mines much more useful for replenishing lost energy when you're in the lead by some margin.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

I'd never stop using weapons so that somebody can catch up... to use weapons on me!
    Of course, I'm more than happy to race weapons off instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGeeza22 View Post
    i guess i just like to be chased and to win without using bombs.
    I hate it. I like a clear track, as it is in TT.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

urgh.. Those bombs and mines, they seem to radiate a magnet effect to my ship, and i seem to always plow into them even though i saw them coming and heard the warning. I dont even use them, its kinda pointless really, like MegaGeeza said, no point of trying to slow down someone when they're already far behind enough.

Well thats my thoughts on it

EDIT: I never seem to get mines or bombs when im ahead, i tend to get quakes, missles or rockets instead. I only get bombs and mines when im at the back, which is when theyre most useless -.-

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

One way to race green is to switch weapons off.
    Weapons are either on or off. If they are on, people will use them. If you want to race cleanly, switch 'em off. Easy! :)
    I generally want to switch weapons off when making races online, as the speed pads and rolls become more important. But I can appreciate the fun in nailing your best friend just before the finish line and winning the race because of it. >:p If weapons are on, I will use them. Edit: Although I find myself absorbing a lot more than I fire lately :p
    Last edited by dreadofmondays; 21st June 2012 at 03:13 PM.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Quote Originally Posted by LJtheZombie View Post
    Most of the time (Unless I'm feeling villanous) I'll only drop mines and bombs in self-defence - that is, if I'm being shot at. Then I see how much my opponent uses them and follow suit, seems to work out more often than not.

I know that high-thrust ships can be and are used in the way Frailavi describes, but not all of us are like that. I go for the first pad mostly so that it isn't used against me, but of course the early turbo is always welcome!

Having said that, my favourite way to race is still 6-laps/weapons off.
    You so much fun for racing LJ. You make goteki fast!

PSN ID
    For PS4 PRO IxNOCTURNUSxXI

It depends with me. Most of the time I don't like using bombs/mines because it can be extremely annoying so I try to limit myself however if it is the last lap of a race I go all out with them