Yeah, time of day makes a lot of difference.
Also if it's a weekend or school holidays in any particular place at the time.

Just a bit of a heads up regarding not being able to connect to the servers, or reporting game/patch glitchs for being unable to connect.
I was talking to a former moderator at the official Sony Playstation forums, they said that as more and more games get added to the PSN, there is a factor of inevitability of more frequent outages, generally known as PSN maintenance, but it doesn't always come up as that error message wise, depending on where you are situated.
The AUS/NZ Playstation forum has become really good at giving gamers fair warning before any planned outages in our neck of the woods [only after years of gamers complaining about no warning]
What the situation is for the UK and USA Playstation forums I don't know, but if ever you can't connect to HD online, I'd check you local Playstation forum first to see if it wasn't a planned outage before blaming SL for a glitch or server problem with the game, which is something that I have seen happen here on more than one occasion.
[AUS/NZ forum puts these alerts under announcements and community events, but there is no uniform layout as such for the Sony forums worldwide, so it could well be posted under something else in your locale]