Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012-02-11: Hacking attack on WipEoutZone

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Exclamation 2012-02-11: Hacking attack on WipEoutZone

Due to the recent hacking attack it was necessary to roll back the site to a time before the intrusion took place.

I had intended on cleaning up and re-instating the most recent version of the site, but it became clear that too much damage had been done to the database to make that a safe option.

Although I believe the site is now secure and the point of entry has been closed, due to the fact that it was Dreamhost (where WipEoutZone lives) that got hacked originally it is still possible that another intrusion might occur.

So I'd like you all to be vigilant and look out for anything suspicious going on. If you do see unusual activity then please do notify me either on twitter @infoxicated or via email at robert.foxx@yahoo.co.uk

Also, please do change your forum account password and the password of any other service where you might have used the same password. The same goes for the main site if you have an account there, too.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks Rob for being so fast with getting the zone back online!

If anything suspicious is going on, I will report immediately. I will be on stake out eating and drinking my black

Peace out Mad-Ice

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Agreed. Thanks

Just out of curiosity, did you report the attack to the authorities?? The jerk attacker plastered his name all over the "message".

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

@abukii: The attacker's name was Tim Pernix, I found out his name two days ago after the attack of WOZone.

Thanks infoxicated (or Rob) for restoring the foums. I hope that the hacker Tim Pernix would learn his error of ways for attacking the forums for no reason.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

You've done a good job getting the site back-up, I was a bit worried that the community and archives might have gone altogether!

I know it doesn't help much, but after Googling the hacker's name I found other websites he has defaced. He wasn't very good at covering his tracks, I right clicked on the images he posted and found his file host and file directory which leads to an Iranian hacking group's website. Sounds like the plot to a spy film but there isn't really that much there, I couldn't actually find his alias on the group's website or any meaningful details other than one of the group members apparently enjoys Skateboarding.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Thanks for dealing with the issue quickly, I think you handled it well. It's a shame you had to roll back the forum a bit, but it's perfectly understandable, and not too much has been lost in the process.

Personally I think it would be wise to remove all mention of the responsible party; as its clear the only thing they wanted from the experience was attention. It's probably best to just move on and just try to ensure something similar can't happen again.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    Iranian hacking group
    Well they won't be hacking anything else anytime soon.

I know TOR exists, so in the off chance that he's still reading this somehow: look, I wish you the best of luck in your country. The current situation in Iran is horrible.
    But you must understand that using these tactics to get your message out about the Israel/Palestine conflict is not the right way. I'm fairly certain everyone here wishes for a peaceful resolution to all the conflicts, so you are essentially preaching to the wrong people. Please don't do it again.
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 11th February 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Good job Rob. Enjoy your time off.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

One thing to keep an eye on is any new members joining. On the day the hack happened, Xavier spotted two new accounts that had administrator access. Unfortunately it was too late for me or Rob to do anything when we were alerted, but that was how the damage was done.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

@Hellfire:Have the accounts in question been banned? What has been done to them?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Yes the accounts have been deleted from what I see.

Still major problems navigating the site for me, keep getting sent to Facebook [the one place you will never see me] , I sent you a email rob outlining them.
    Anybody else using Firefox?

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Yeah, i use firefox. I keep getting re-directed to facebook, but on google chrome it doesnt.... how weird..

PSN ID
    Sphereshift

Hm, i googled for wipeoutzone hacked and found this hacker forum. I registerend but well, there was only a thread named wipeoutzone.com hacked. He mentioned some other websites he hacked and that it was...I was about to ask why and if he was retarded but then, it wouldn´t make any sense. What bunch of a******. Happy to see the site back online!

PSN ID
    traksta1

Good to see the site back. Many thanks to those involved in returning it, many curses on the petty pond life that vandalized it. I too have had the "Firefox" redirecting to Facebook at every opportunity thing (no problem on ie7) This was remedied by clearing Firefox's cache as suggested by Charlie Emery on Facebook's "zoners" group page.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Nice to know someone reads my advice Yes, clearing the cache should sort out any redirection problems

onlykpop is offline OMNIUM - Silver Final winner Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    onlykpop

Thanks so much Rob! This means alot to all of us

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I worked it out anyway while updating Firefox.
    There are several pilots, like me, that refuse to have anything to do with Facebook so maybe the "Clear Cache" advice could of been posted here.

Firefox uses that have yet to clear their cache can still access the site, it's just navigating it that's the pain.

Timezone
    GMT -5

also you should send an email to explain that the site got hacked and explaining if the password were crypted like Sony did with PSN and Epic Games with their forum

Timezone
    GMT + 12

--deleted--
    Last edited by MyNameIsBom; 7th October 2014 at 05:21 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Thank you for your hard work, Rob!