Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couple comments, questions, and inquiries

Default couple comments, questions, and inquiries

Seeing as how Wip3Out is such a freakin' awesome game (as most of you know) I have faithfully and religously (two for one..heheh) and obsessively played it since I was bestowed with its beauty last Wednesday. I have unlocked 2 prototypes (Vector and Venom) and have unlocked Phantom Class..But this is where my first question comes in: I beat every track with Assegai on Rapier and that unlocked Phantom Class...I thought you had to beat all 64 tracks to unlock the next class..but i guess not..

Anyways, this is kinda a poll: I love the way the Prototypes look does anyone else like how they look? Or am I the only one?
    Next...

Does anyone else detest Stanza Inter the way I do... It is a very frustrating, but challenging course, its not so much the course but the attitudes of the other racers..they seem to be more competitive than any other track here, viciously wiping me out with everything they have..And thus, I hate this track.. :x

This is a strategy question: how in the sweet wide world am I supposed to win with Feisar and Goteki in Rapier and Phantom modes...I really need help with this..

Lastly, do you get a reward for beating all the challenges? I was just wondering if it is really worth the pain to go thru all of them..Do you get more than the satisfation knowing you killed them?

Thats all folks.. Please help me with any you can..I need some answers to further my advancements.. Oh and one more thing, I plan to battle on the tables soon..So be ready

Im Out-
    pirhana59

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I cant really remember at which point things open up - it's been that long since I played through the original Wipeout 3 - I tend to spend all my time on Wipeout 3 SE now.

Stanza Inter was my least favourite track, probably, in Wipeout 3 - Sampa Run and Terminal did nothing for me either, although I have grown to live with them in Wipeout 3 SE. The former two due to the improved lighting in the tunnels - being able to see where you're going when you're in a pack of ships makes them much more bareable.

They are annoying, I guess - but you do get great tracks like Manortop and Hi Fumii to make up for it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Default Re: couple comments, questions, and inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by Pirhana59
    Anyways, this is kinda a poll: I love the way the Prototypes look does anyone else like how they look? Or am I the only one?
    Most people here like the look of the prototypes, you'll even find that Lance is a big fan of them.

Does anyone else detest Stanza Inter the way I do... It is a very frustrating, but challenging course, its not so much the course but the attitudes of the other racers..they seem to be more competitive than any other track here, viciously wiping me out with everything they have..And thus, I hate this track.. :x
    I love Stanza Inter. Scraping in the tunnel chicanes at Phantom speed is sure an adrenalin rush. But if you think those are competitive oponents, wait until you race in the fourth prototype at Phantom speed. :

This is a strategy question: how in the sweet wide world am I supposed to win with Feisar and Goteki in Rapier and Phantom modes...I really need help with this..
    These are slower ships, so their slowness should make it easier to race without banging into the walls. Believe me, with some experience all races are easily beatable in every class and with every ship (with the exception of LS104 of course ).

Lastly, do you get a reward for beating all the challenges? I was just wondering if it is really worth the pain to go thru all of them..Do you get more than the satisfation knowing you killed them?
    Sorry to disappoint you but you won't get anything. :-?

Oh and one more thing, I plan to battle on the tables soon..So be ready
    More competition is always welcome. However, I'm afraid that the first time you'll post your times you'll be astonished by some records. This happened to almost every member here. It's incredible how much one can improve when competing against other people's records instead of just beating the machine.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

well i just updated all my best times..and am no farther than 15th out of 20th in all the tracks..I even made no.5 on Manor Top on Venom... woo hoo! Tho i will take ur advice..it will take time to get up there..but believe me..watch out.Ill be up there soon..

P.S My table name is Trombone 59

Im Out (again!?) yes..
    -Pirhana59

cool! i don't even have to answer questions myself anymore!
    my opinions are so well known through my overexposure of them. yes, i love the prototypes; they are stripped of so much of the unnecessary that they are the purest, most focussed 3D racing i've seen.

i have always hated Stanza Inter. the dim grunginess of it irritates and dispirits me. oddly enough, i find it easier to go through the famous/notorious tunnel in venom and rapier classes than in vector.

it is not necessary to win all golds to open the next level. just getting a medal in each race with each ship will open the next level and win the prototype circuit for the current level. i don't really know that you could do it with all bronzes, but that situation didn't arise and i didn't feel like doing the experiment.

winning with a Feisar at Hi-fumii may be one of the more difficult things, but i'm no longer sure of that

PSN ID
    infoxicated

P.S My table name is Trombone 59
    Are you a distant relative of Mambo No. 5?!

As a matter of curiosity, why did you put Trombone 59 as your username when it clearly states on the form that you should use your real name?

Personally I'm passed giving a toss about people who feel the need to do this (I used to delete the accounts and the times), but if you could explain why you ignored the request I'd appreciate it... :-?

Was it that you don't like giving away details like that?

Was it that the statement "Please use your real first and second name, NOT a nickname" wasn't clear enough on the page?

Or was it some other reason?

my gravest apologies....

I'll be honest, I was really just in a hurry to register and start posting my times..I registered for WipeoutZone itself before I registered for the Updating Times section. So I am very sorry is there any way I can change my name to my board name? Thanks for the heads up..I'll try not to make any more dumb mistakes in the future. :

-pirhana59

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I wasn't suggesting it was a mistake - most people do it on purpose. The last one to make a serious issue was this guy called Dastardly from the Fusion forums - he point blank refused to provide his real name and then demanded that I erase his account when I asked him for it.

So I did...!

It's not as big an issue as it was back in the day... I just wanted people to take it a bit more seriously at the start. It looks a bit more respectable as a site when you have real names as opposed to DaRk_Sl4Y3R or whatever.

That's just my take on it, you know - it's a free site open to all and the only thing asked in return is for honesty on the tables and a real name in the first place.

Perhaps I should re-word it in order to explain it better... although I suspect folk will continue to ignore the plees regardless... :roll:

Best not to worry about it...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

foxxy's right!
    so trombone, state u real name here so infox can change it!
    now that u r gonna compete on the tables it's better that way, looks better, more profesional!
    that assegaipilot1 has always irritated me - sounds stupid (can u imagine how trombone69 sounds then?) he's sure a nice guy thou ..

welcome here btw!
    my name is .. pavel Ramirez .. .. (waiting for a few seconds) .. (some more) ..

u c? nothing happened!! :wink:

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Good old assegaipilot1.... him and mr dcod fish have always driven me up the wall.

Sadly they were members from long back who joined before :caz gave me the database contents, so it wasn't really my place to get rid of them. I did try to contact them, but the mail addresses bounced - probably gone through their spam-life-cycle, I imagine.

I think it definately does make the site look more professional - god, play Unreal or one of the other popular FPS's (no I wont say CS because it sux, Wam! ) and you end up against bin_Laden or saddam_killa or some such moronic nonsense like that... :

It looks like Mr Pirana "trombone" 59, esquire is a decent and honest addition to our community, though, so lets not be too harsh on him at all. At least he's making an attempt at the record tables - something hundreds of members don't take part in. Good efforts if you ask me

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    .. (no I wont say CS because it sux, Wam! )
    it rEally does!

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    It looks like Mr Pirana "trombone" 59, esquire is a decent and honest addition to our community .. .. Good efforts if you ask me
    no doubt about it! he dOEs seem like a nice fella to me too!

goddammit, zargz, if you're going to imitate mY method of text emphasis, i won't be unIQue anymore. but actually, that would be a good thing. i will have had iNfluence, will have given something to the world.
    i can see it now, people EVerywhere using capital letters in just the places they're needed, and no html necessary. and no words in all caps. aaahhh. [basks in the warmth of inventiveness and rewarded virtue]

[awaits the rotten tomatoes thrown at my conceited face]

i dont care what you guys say, i love stanza inter for ever!!!!

(to stanza) they didnt mean it, baby.. shh shh its okay.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by xEik
    These are slower ships, so their slowness should make it easier to race without banging into the walls. Believe me, with some experience all races are easily beatable in every class and with every ship (with the exception of LS104 of course ).

One thing that will really help you win with the slow ships is Hyperthrust. The slow ships are also well known for their seriously powerful shields, which means very large Hyperthrust batteries. As xEik there mentions, they're easy to fly without hitting the walls, so all you have to do is learn where to use the Hyper to the best advantage. Once you've got the hang of that, it's not too difficult at all.

Sorry to disappoint you but you won't get anything. :-?

Well, actually, that's not _completely_ true. What you unlock is the combo challenges.
    It's a cycle, and it goes like this:
    You think you're really good at WO, then you try to beat all the challenges. When you've got all them beaten, they give you the combo challenges. Then you realize you're not all that awesome. Once you get them beaten, then you think you're good again, so you go to put all your times in the tables here, and you realize again that you're not all that amazing. So you try really hard to get all the 1st place awards in the slow classes, and you pull that off, and you think you're good, so you go to take on the fast classes and...
    Well, to wrap it all up there's only one piece of sage advice. And xEik is around to make sure we never forget it:

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Quote Originally Posted by Task
    One thing that will really help you win with the slow ships is Hyperthrust. The slow ships are also well known for their seriously powerful shields, which means very large Hyperthrust batteries. As xEik there mentions, they're easy to fly without hitting the walls, so all you have to do is learn where to use the Hyper to the best advantage. Once you've got the hang of that, it's not too difficult at all.
    Hmmm, I'd say don't use Hyper and use that shield energy to complete the race without pitting once. You save 3 seconds by thrusting, and lose 6 by standing still in the pit lane waiting for all that energy to recharge. Besides, Hyper tends to make a huge speed difference with the slower ships and then you'll end up hitting walls. And it looks really bad when you hit walls with a FEISAR.

I don`t do much vector and venom, but it seems you need boost all the time coming out of corners. The ship goes so slow through the pits that you can usually fill up most of the tank without standing still, so on the majority of tracks on vec and ven its better to boost and pit a lot I`d say. With boost it seems you can get a venom ship close to rapier speed.

On rapier and phantom, the time you lose by pitting is hard to make up, particularly on tracks like Gare d`Europa, Sagarmatha and Porto Kora, where the pit lane is tight and on the straight. Also in the fast classes you do sometimes have to slow down deliberately to get the tank filled up before you leave the pits, and this costs more time. Therefore in most cases its best to ration the juice and save it all for a stormin` last lap, if you can. These are my general rules, but every track has its own strategy after you weigh up the cost/benefits of using juice. Some tracks have huge benefits from big thrustage at various points, and then it may be worthwhile taking a pit stop, especially if the pit lane is not hugely slower than the main route.

All this is of course just my own theory, and the best laid plans are scuppered by a couple of nasty wall-bangers. :

I also love Stanza, though I have neglected her since I got SE. I`ve always gone left at the split into the urban canyon, but it sounds like some of you go right, into the bends. Can this really be quicker?

Hi all,

Been a while.

Haha, I had to laugh when I read about Mr. Codfish. Same applies for one Stubble AG or whatever that fellow's nickname is. I also find it kind of irritating. More often than not these types don't rank very high. Would that be a coincidence?

Actually this reminds me of the fact that it's been some time again since I tried my hand at wip3out or SE (don't play Fusion anymore on principle, . With these exams coming up and all my sideprojects haunting my dreams...

By the way, am I the only person here who thinks that prototype 3 is more difficult than prototype 4?

Be well!
    V.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasudeva
    By the way, am I the only person here who thinks that prototype 3 is more difficult than prototype 4?

Be well!
    V.
    AMEN! I dont think that proto 4 is harder.. The tunnels in s103 transitions to u turns and jumps all make for a very challenging track.. I think this one should've either replaced a track in Wip3out (I dunno...say um.....*cough* Stanza Inter!.....) or...if people don't agree with that, then it should've been in the more futuristic wipeout: (a la XL) b/c of the tunnels and all, and the fact that its generally floating in the air... :roll:

Anyway, overall, I agree with you on that one.. Vas..

-Pirhana59

Agreed! I won LS104 without any trouble at Phantom. LS103 was a completely different story, completely different. The course is highly technical with those weird tunnels, where mines are frequent and unavoidable, and you`re just rocket fodder on the straights. Love it though. :

LS103 is a much more difficult circuit than LS104, but the AI controlled ships are less competitive. the tough AI in 104 is partly because the ships have more sheer speed relative to yours than is true on other courses. in most WO3 races you have a great speed advantage over the AI.

i might also mention that LS102 has a lot of tricky bits, some of them very subtle and requiring precise control and forethought