Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will 2048 be the last wipeout ?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Default Will 2048 be the last wipeout ?

- IMO if psvita sells well and if wipeout 2048 confirms the expectations, it can reach a good score and then all will be possible, on several platforms (even if some can disagree with the wipeout gameplay, storyline, design, music, features etc. a real fan must support the serie at least as a concept)
    I mean, wipeout franchise was close to die with SL redundancies, so i don't think wipeout will have other chances if 2048 fails !

Even here on the n°1 wipeout fansite, i don't see many enthusiasm compared to some generalist video games websites.
    I find it a bit sad !

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Nah - they'll roll it out for the launch of any new Sony hardware like they always do. Even if 2048 is a commercial failure, I'm sure we'll see another WipEout game whenever the PS4 arrives.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Maybe, but in that case wipeout will be resumed in the role of a technical demo, the franchise deserves better than that, more contents and events, a bigger community !

Well, the Wipeout franchise has more chances of continuing than the Ace combat franchise. The only thing bugging my mind is what are going to be the next WO's about. Will they continue from 2207 on again or will they go on after 2048 basically redoing the old wipeouts, which would be cooler IMO. The thing is wipeout has sells a lot because of it's tradition of coming out everytime a new console comes out. Which is a bit sad too because if they waited some time after the release the quality of their games would increase dramatically because games improve a lot after a while since the release of a console.

PSN ID
    Blaey

one of the latest interviews stated that this wipeout was 'their biggest game yet' which would lead me to believe that they're doing pretty well with sony and seem to be hitting all the right notes to be in with more chances in the future.
    Because wipeout games generally launch with consoles it stands true that if wipeout fails it will only be because the vita has failed as wipeout 2048 seems to be the number 2 most wanted game for the handheld at the moment (behind uncharted) so we can keep our hopes high!

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

2048 does seem to have had a really good response from potential customers and from the press, so hopefully it will be a commercial success and will lead to future Wipeouts. I'd love to see them do one for the launch of the PS4, one that makes fans of the series happy, and gets tonnes of new players.

But I guess that's what we all want right?

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Maybe foxy`s right but I just don`t see it that way.

Ok, IMO, From Original to Pure including Fusion, everything are going great from year to year till now. I didn`t expect them to make another wipeout 2048 BUT another console!, well I know for a start I`m not buying for that!

I`m not blaming to creators who created 2048 but, to me, they are not pushing to the right path and they are slowly killing them the whole franchise altogether and stay there forever, just like RollCage II.

Now, to me, maybe I`d moved on but I always still play WipEouts, But HD, not played them for months.

So, last 2048?, I hate to say this, I would say yes but, unless they come up with a fantastic idea? Then I might persuade it.

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Probably not the last Wipeout, it's now basically written in stone that any new Sony console release will get a newish Wipeout of some description to go with it on release.

The problem lies with any totally new Wipeout basically being given away as a bundle with these new consoles releases.
    Sure Sony must plan financially for this, but once the initial run is out there, and some other game get's replaced as the "Bundled game", your not going to get as many actual sales of the new Wipeout, so the amount actually recouped $ wise is going to be low.
    This must effect how Sony treat any further development of either DLC for Wipeout, and ultimately if any totally new game without a new console release is ever made again.

I'm hoping for a PS3 port of 2048, I think it's likely to happen at some stage, as it would seem strange to include HD within 2048 and only making half the game cross platform compatible.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I don't think this site is as active before because most members have already spoken there heart out and laid there voice on this site so much about the franchise that they're beginning to run out of things to say... I know that's why I don't write on here, or else I would simply be repeating what I had written in the past, and I don't wanna over-do it to the point that no one listens to what I have to say... That and I'm currently working 12+ hour shifts like everyday of the week...

But I don't think Wipeout has come anywhere near its end yet, as it's recipe isn't currently without flaw... There are many elements that could make Wipeout better as we all could see, but if the developers keep puting out the same recipe, they're going to run out of space with reason of developement... Just because the last game selled well doesn't mean they should keep the same recipe with the new idea of a new camera or a new little option or whatever.... They need to continually improve the recipe as the consoles improve or the fans will get tired of it. They need to experiment, though it can be a risky operation as experimenting in this case costs vasts amounts of currency from the company, because it's impossible to see the outcome other then selling it to the community.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Thumbs down

WipEout 2048 doesn't include HD !!! And it's the big problem of WipEout 2048, even the fans do the mistake !

WipEout 2048 is independant to HD, it's a new game, with new "long" tracks, new ships, new game modes, super-phantom !

The first idea to Sony was good, it's WipEout HD on PS Vita, look like our new system PS Vita is powerful. But everybody or almost have already WipEout HD on his PS3, it was a free game with PlayStation +, it was a gift after the PSN.

And now, 98% of people tell them "why will I buy a 250€ new system and a 40€ gamecard for a game I had already for free last year, or for 15-25€ two or three years ago ? I'd rather wait a next "2048" DLC for my WipEout HD on PS3"

Which game had got his second DLC 5 years after its release ??? It will be ridiculous, won't it ?

In the spirit of most of people, 2048 isn't the game with HD in free bonus, the game is HD with an add-on 2048. So no, 2048 won't be the last WipEout, it's HD before the next I hope.

Bad strategy Sony...
    Last edited by kaori; 29th December 2011 at 09:54 PM.

PSN ID
    Blaey

+1 kaori

PSN ID
    infoxicated

My love for it fell away as they attempted to make it more mass market. After it became more about the weapons and the gimmicks (barrel rolls, short cuts) than it was about racing, I just lost interest.

Funny, I used to love the Tony Hawk's series, too, but once it became more about Jackass antics than being a skating simulation I just hated it. And the same with Madden - I bought it every year on the day of release for five straight years until it became really arcadey.

I wonder if that's the price of gaming going from being a niche pastime to a mass market form of entertainment. WipEout appealed to a certain demographic and their attempts to sell it to the mass market diluted what made it compelling to the original audience.

I hope at some point in the future they do a true reboot. No barrel rolls, no mag strips, and just a handful of pick-up pads sprinkled around the circuits.

@Xpand - I hope the same is true of Ace Combat - they've really taken a walk off the map with the Assault Horizon and as a once devoted Ace Combat fan I wouldn't go near it now.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

I agree Infoxicated, even if I discover WipEout later than you with barell roll (Pure) and I appreciate them.
    It's sad because the "mass" can appreciate a WipEout in slow classes, and the hardcore can appreciate a WipEout in high classes. No need to do an "easier" game.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

You guys haven't attempted Anulpha Pass using the "gimmicks" yet, have you? I'm so over informing people that venom is not that easy. These "gimmicks" are inherent to the design of the game, if you aren't going to use them, you're not playing properly, truly. If that's your problem, so be it, but don't say something like:

Quote Originally Posted by kaori View Post
    It's sad because the "mass" can appreciate a WipEout in slow classes (while hardcore appreciate phantom)
    or
    Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    After it became more about ... the gimmicks (barrel rolls, short cuts) than it was about racing, I just lost interest.
    And this thread is pure negative speculation, which is more likely to shake confidence of some fans and people of casual interest in the series reading than if nothing was mentioned at all. There's really nothing positive that can come out of this thread... and to back up my point, it's clear that all we've got is people moaning.

A similar discussion that poses positive questions would be "what will the next WO be like", and while some people I'm sure would just come up with random stupid ideas, the sane would use what we know already and combine that with speculation to form an idea.

My 2c.

PSN ID
    Blaey

infoxicated does give a good point.

Considering WipEout is effectively Formula1 car racing set in the future it would be interesting to go right back to basics and effectively make the next wipeout like the latest Formula1 game (i'm not too formula1 game savvy so idk who made it or what it's like) but back in the day (if im not mistaken) i thought that psygnosis made the f1 games which is why wipeout went a different direction for an alternative audience after wipeout2052.

Unfortunately this may mess around with the wipeout DNA too much and destroy what makes wipeout great...

All i wish is that pit-lanes return at some point ;D

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JuiceStickers

Definitely not. WipEout 2048 is an ALL NEW game. With exception of the physics engine, is almost completely independent of HD. HD is just there to be a tech demo for cross-play. It looks new, it looks exciting, and I'm most definitely gonna buy it. 2048 has style and presence. Something that's been lacking since Pulse. And style is a pretty big staple of the WipEout series if I remember correctly. Track design being another. And this game has both.

I'm an old school WipEout fan and I'm excited for 2048. Sue me.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

+1 Wolfkill
    The most important thing is :
    Do wipeout still provides the feelings that made you love the serie ?
    - Is wipeout still fast ? Yes ! And super-phantom class is the step forward i personaly anticipate the most on the next episode (i was afraid that seing all the slow classes rooms on HD-fury, SL suppress fastest classes ).
    - Do the anti-gravity feeling still here ? Yes !! With sometimes huge differences between the episodes (fusion, pulse...) but still present, airbrakes are always your friends to take some difficult turns.
    - Do the design still the same ? IMO yes ! I mean still futuristic and stylish. Tracks still have tunnels, crazy jumps, loops etc. The tracks, ships and their team's logos are still particularily well designed (from Designers Republic to Rita Linsley on fury's zone tracks = talented people).

And about the new (relatively) features that gives the game another dimension : Multiplayer is the greatest !! Playing a wipeout online with friends is a wonderfull experiment ! Frankly, barrel rolls or not shouldn't alterates the pleasure to race and fight online, since it's possible to set br-off races (i had great sessions with Medusa playing random races or tournaments with or without weapons in no-br rooms ! Unfortunately quiters were most numerous than usual :-).

@Rob, i dislike too the weapon based system on HD and the mass market strategy from SL, but if they still give some crumbs to hardcore gamers (super-phantom, zone mode, speedlaps or tt online and offline) i'm fine with it if they succeed to attract new players.

@Amp, i'm sorry but any difficult it may be, slow classes must be a step to reach the fastest class on wipeout as it always be. Adrenaline is on phantom class, not on venom, even with 10 or twelve BRs on chengou or sebenco .

Wipeout 2048 is coming soon, and it seems that multiplayer will be the keyword for that episode. possibilities of cross play with wipeout HD's ps3 owners, online campaign, improved tactical use of items, ghosts and challenges to send at friends on speedlaps (at least) sessions... and off course discovering new tracks offline and with fellow pilots !! All of that is really exciting !
    Last edited by leungbok; 30th December 2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: grammar

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    @Amp, i'm sorry but any difficult it may be, slow classes must be a step to reach the fastest class on wipeout as it always be. Adrenaline is on phantom class, not on venom, even with 10 or twelve BRs on chengou or sebenco
    I'm not debating that, I'm just saying that to truly accomplish a track on venom speed it takes a lot of skill in response to people generalising it as a sub-class. It requires a level of dextrousness simply incapable of being useful or accessible on other speeds (phantom in particular has its own tricks, no doubt, but that's beside the point).

If your goal is to be sufficient enough at the game to win every other race online or just to be competitive, fine, venom isn't for you; but there are people who take the challenge to make it as interesting as the faster speed classes. Of course venom will always be a gateway to the rest of the game, I just don't think it should be disqualified by default once you think you're good enough to be your definition of competitive in a higher speed class.

edit: not saying you, Leung, just "you" in general; I know you're good at venom!
    Last edited by amplificated; 30th December 2011 at 09:23 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I understand your arguing, but you forgot my main one : The feeling, the adrenaline, the almost lost control of your ship, well i can't say the wind in your hairs but you get the idea. Venom with lots of tricks is difficult undoubtly, but can't rivalise for me with the intensity of a phantom (and soon super-phantom) race. Honestly i don't care which class is the most difficult, my only interest is in which class i can have the more fun.

PSN ID
    Blaey

Quote Originally Posted by WolfKill01 View Post
    Definitely not. WipEout 2048 is an ALL NEW game. With exception of the physics engine, is almost completely independent of HD. HD is just there to be a tech demo for cross-play. It looks new, it looks exciting, and I'm most definitely gonna buy it. 2048 has style and presence. Something that's been lacking since Pulse. And style is a pretty big staple of the WipEout series if I remember correctly. Track design being another. And this game has both.
    +1 wolfkill

I seem to be in the same boat as you at the moment am as excited for 2048 as i was for pure back in the day but i still feel that even pure had an ounce more style than 2048.

Why can't people get the picture that this is a brand spankin new game with small ties to HD to showcase how powerful the vita is