Thread: Playing in 3D means you get increased dualshock vibrations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -5

Default Playing in 3D means you get increased dualshock vibrations?

So I just got the Playstation 3D Display, and the game looks totally beautiful in 3D, but I'm finding it very difficult to win any races.

Of course, I wonder if it's just that my brain still has to get used to racing in 3D, but I also noticed another thing, where the controller seems to vibrate excessively, throwing me off my usual movements.

I can see why you'd want to add more rumble, since 'hey, it's now 3d', but in a game like Wipeout, I feel it's a bad decision.

This morning I woke up and played several matches *without* 3D enabled, and my results were back to normal expectations.

So, two questions:

1) Do I just suck when I see things in 3d?
    2) Does enabling 3D change the rumble parameters for joypads?

PSN ID
    firstdave/Astropulser

Is it possible to reduce or turn off feedback and try it then ?

Dave.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think both might somehow be the result of the game running at half the frame rate in 3D.
    3D mode might effect your online interaction with other players.
    Organise a test with a group of friends online, a 6 race tournament with the same tracks/speed /craft and pilots except one round with 3D engaged and another without, by rights the results should be pretty similar.

As for you now finding yourself playing HD with a vibrator
    I guessing what's happening is that the game tells the PS3 to send a succession of Vibration ON signals which keeps the controller shaking, then a single vibration off signal to stop it.
    These signals are tied to the frame rate of the game, which work fine at the normal frame rate.
    But when the frame rate is halved in 3D mode you get all the ON signals, but miss the occasional OFF signal, so the controller seems to vibrate more in 3D mode.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

I've recently tried the 3D mode myself and let us not make things more complicated than they actually are. My answers to your questions are:
    1) Yes, you suck when playing in 3D.
    2) No.

I played it in 3d once, and the framerate made my times MUCH slower. It looked great, but not at the expense of racing well. I don't use a rumble controller, but if I did I would turn it OFF so as not to be bothered by it.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Well, it does excessive rumble on Wipeout HD, like: Maybe one of the programmers thought: Maybe If you see this in 3D, you will get a little more rumble! Cos you're seeing it in 3D! So he programmed it into Wipeout.

So after that I played Motorstorm Apocalypse in 3D, and there is no evidence of that there is increased throttle in my car's ....throttle.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

You're exactly right sirius. I played WOHD in 3D for the first time at home the other day.
    In normal modes, the rumble parameters are completely insane. Very often there is no vibration where there used to be one, and huge vibration some places where there was little.
    I think , certainly in some areas at least, the physics of the game in 3D mode are not the same as in 2D. Takeoffs, landings and particularly banked turns are all very different when comparing 2D to 3D.
    I haven't spent a lot of time with it but one of the most clear examples is on Syncopia, after Zone 70-ish, when you land on the 2nd step of the psychedelic stairway (that what it called?), the ship slams into the floor and bounces high into the air, so you end up going through the wall 'above' the final gap at the end of the stairway. Also after Zone 100 3D is pretty unplayable. Game can't keep up with inputs. As for for other racing, it looks nice. Sure you may be of your times by half a second or so, but more fun so there.
    Also everyone with a 3D set and WOHD should try detonator. It's like SSHD but WOHD

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

As it's your first experience with HD in 3D Yelder....well, couldn't your experience equally be equated with the frame rate being halved?

As we are both long term "Tragic" WO players, I think that's the likely situation.