Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: PS4 Discussion

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Sony has posted this "Be the First To Know" at it's Official PlayStation forums.
    https://secure.eu.playstation.com/meeting2013/

Sign up and get the news sent to you via email, straight from the horses mouth.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

From that video I glean the following details...
    So the new playstation (PS4) will electrocute me?
    Pass.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    jaminjack

Sony may be giving a few hints as to what's to come on February 20th
    The symbols are 3D and the electric lighting wraps around the symbols. This could be a reference to Sonys immersive 3D projection. Sony is planing to upgrade their move camera which makes me think Leap Motion touch free 3D technology. This would make the controllers fully programable allowing you to design how you would like to interact changing the controllers shape and functions.
    I'm not Clarivoint I'm just linking technology and lawsuits that's available and Sony has access to. Also Sonys pushing 4k. So that will be included

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I know Sony was pushing 4K at January's CES, and that was about all.

I don't know how the PS3 could be tied into any native 4K content.
    I somehow doubt it could upscale to 4K with just a system update [most of the newest Yamaha HT amps can upscale to 4k]; in any case, unless your screen size is over 1.2m across the higher resolution would be barely perceivable over 1080p, it would be good for a PJ though.

Sony needs to spend money fixing the refresh rate of it's 1080p 3D TV's first, it's too slow ATM, and can make some content unplayable with bad ghosting, playing"Uncharted 3" in 3D is horrible, HD/FURY suffers from pretty bad ghosting as well ... play the same on a Panasonic 3D Plasma and it's nowhere as bad.
    Sony doing 4K in 3D?, I haven't seen it, but if they can't get 1080p 3D right after 4 generations I'm not optimistic of them doing it with 4k.

Besides that, any native 4K content data size is going to be huge, it's highly unlikely that any 4k downloadable content will be made available from the store, even a short trailer would be around 10GB.
    Same thing applies for discs, I don't think even the new double layer Bluray discs could hold the data of a 4k movie on one disc, so a higher capacity disc would be needed, and I'm guessing that would use a different wavelength laser to read it, or some different media altogether.

Now that's something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, and given Sony's statements of intent regarding releasing Sony owned titles shot in 4k for domestic release, could be a possibility.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

The 4k thing's not going to take off for years really is it? I mean most of the channels on my Sky + box aren't even HD. How much genuine 4k content will be available to watch, even 5 years from now? I probably won't be able to afford a 4k TV for a good few years anyway, and I'd imagine many people are the same. Just because 3D's fallen on its arse, can they really flog Ultra HD in its place that easliy?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

No they can't, and only a Idiot would think otherwise.

What Sony have planned had better be AMAZING!!!

Or this company is going down.

PSN ID

Rumours that Sony will tease a racing game and a FPS at February 20th event...

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/r...ry-20-2013026/

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Speculation that a new console will launch with an FPS and a racing game is like speculating that Lady Gaga might wear a weird & revealing outfit in her next video.

I'm preparing my sock tethers just in case there's a rumour that there'll be a platform game!

PSN ID

I phrased it badly of course, was in a rush on my lunch break. It was the story within the link that was the interesting bit, namely that Evolution Studios are rumoured to be developing a brand new IP, using developers from Bizarre Creations and Studio Liverpool... "which it hopes will develop into a series just like Gran Turismo or Forza."

That's pretty sweet news if it's true, there was also news recently that Microsoft are planning a brand new racing IP for release of the Xbox 720.
    Last edited by Colonel; 7th February 2013 at 02:06 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Exciting stuff, i really cant imagine what the PS4 would be like, when the PS3 is amazing itself.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    I phrased it badly of course, was in a rush on my lunch break.
    I wasn't having a go at you - just the media machine's fascination with reporting "rumour" as if they have stone cold facts, when the reality is they're stating the obvious - every console launches with a racing game, an FPS, and a cutesy platformer of some sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Evolution Studios are rumoured to be developing a brand new IP, using developers from Bizarre Creations and Studio Liverpool... "which it hopes will develop into a series just like Gran Turismo or Forza."
    Interesting if true, because we were always told at Studio Liverpool that whatever game we made couldn't be a rival to Gran Turismo. After F1 finished we had probably the best racing engine in the games industry - refined AI, superb physics model, and a rendering pipeline that could stick 24 cars on screen at one time as well as a highly polished track. Nick Burcombe wanted to halve the number of cars and make a great racing game, but because we couldn't compete with Gran Turismo he came up with the idea of "racing in a disaster zone", which Evolution quickly poached for a sequel to Motorstorm, leaving us with nothing going on in the studio except WipEout.

I always wondered what the heck Sony were playing at - considering they had the most expensive studio in the UK (London) making a football game for years, which didn't even sell enough to break even unless they got it out five weeks before FIFA, didn't sell consoles because it wasn't sought after, and didn't hold a candle to Pro Evo or FIFA (and that was before FIFA got good). I reckon they were scared to let Studio Liverpool do a supercar based racing game because the end result might well have been embarrassing for Polyphony!

There must have been a big change in mindset if they're letting Evolution do a straight racer for PS4. I always loved their WRC games, but I can't be bothered with rubber banded stuff like Motorstorm so I haven't touched that series at all. It'll be interesting to see what unfolds.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    Interesting if true, because we were always told at Studio Liverpool that whatever game we made couldn't be a rival to Gran Turismo
    Pff, executives telling the creative they can't be creative. Sigh. :/
    I'm sure that's why Patrice Désilet left Ubisoft here in Mtl (Getting bored of AC and such), and now with the THQ sale he's back with them. I wonder if he'll leave after his current project is done, again.

PSN ID

Here's what appears to be the first photos of a PS4 controller, albeit an early prototype :

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...n-wild-1131394

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It looks like Sony might be reverting to a original old controller design type from around 1999 looking at that photo
    That looks like a prototype of the first dual stick PS2 controller, wider, with sticks that aren't as high and with concave tops, plus obviously the new touch pad
    I never have liked the sticks domed tops of what became the final design of the dualshock, it's just so easy for your thumb to slip off, especially in a hot climate when your hands can get sweaty.

Seeing that a touch pad might be added to this new controller, it raises a few questions.
    How long will the controller last between recharges compared to a standard dualshock? I suppose it will depend if the touch screen is back-lighted or not
    Seeing that the PS button is still seen, so access to the XMB would I imagine still be got to via that, what possible control commands will inputted via the touch pad, it's not exactly well placed for easy in game action is it?

I wonder, since Wipeout 2048 had a few of it's controls operated on the Vita's touch pad, that it might become a port for a PS4 title with a in game option to remap controls like HD/FURY.

[As I typed out the above, I sort of started to think that this photo is of a controller that was used to develop games for the Vita before the Vita actually physically existed, as I can't really see a reason for having a touch screen on a controller where it is placed so awkwardly]
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 15th February 2013 at 07:01 PM.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

A reminder about tonight's live stream, it begins at 11pm GMT

https://secure.eu.playstation.com/meeting2013/

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Looking forward to this, it'll be treated like a blockbuster movie with munchies and such Can't wait to see wait to see what they have to say.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

There's a few *coughsevencough* bottles of beer waiting in the shed, hope I'm not too battered to remember what they say!

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

Eagerly waiting the news ^_^ May well partake in the IGN drinking game lol

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

After all this hype and announcements of announcements, it had better be the PS4. I can picture people's faces now if it turns out to be a new toaster or something!

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Knux - You sure? One mention of Playstation Home and you'll need an ambulance!

DP - Well you won't be able to say the new hardware doesn't do stuff the old one doesn't