Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: PS4 Discussion

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Default PS4 Discussion

For a while now there's been speculation in the press and online regarding the next generation of platforms, in particular the PS4 and XBox 720. I'm just wondering what you all think of the prospect of an incoming PS4...
    Have you heard anything interesting, any launch date rumours etc?
    What would you like from the machine, both software and hardware?
    Do you think we need another generation of home consoles, or are cloud gaming services like Onlive the future?
    Any other thoughts?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

i believe sony will reveal the new ps4 at e3 2012.
    i expect it to be MORE powerful of course, and eventually it'll be much smaller, i think (ps3slim like). i read something about the new chip-architecture, no cell anymore, but quadcore-like (no link sry).
    i can't think of a new medium, so they'll stay with blu-ray, i guess (maybe an extended version).
    all i want is a complete backwards compability to all 3 previous playstations.
    so my gaming library will be very BIG from the start
    and i believe, ps4 will be the first console, which breaks the 1000euro launch-day price.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I'd want it to have an always-on OS that you can access at any time, mainly for messaging - it's very annoying when you want to send a message to someone and the system hangs until it finishes loading. I'd also like the browser to be available whilst in-game.

I also hope it's backwards compatible and you can download all PSN games like 'HD straight onto it; and that the default controllers still have "6axis" support. I also want those controllers to be better quality than the standard PS3 controllers. If I have to learn a PS4 WipEout with no motion pitch control.... *shakes fist*.

On the hardware front, I'd want superior gfx that offer 1080p easily at minimum, and an SSD for loading speeds. Also, I hope Sony don't go nuts on the media card support like they initially did with the PS3; just make it a simple console for games and basic media streaming support. PC's are infinitely superior for dealing with that kind of thing.

There's no way the PS4 will cost 1000 euros; the whole point of a console is to be a cheap point for gaming. For 1000 euros you could get a very decent PC - hell, for $1000 AUD I can get a good one right now.
    Last edited by amplificated; 28th September 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    oliver_fighter7 - Olivariox

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    ...and i believe, ps4 will be the first console, which breaks the 1000euro launch-day price.
    Impossible, Sony already had enough problems with PS3 for years because of its price (and it was 600 euros). They won't make again the same mistake.

My biggest wish is that it has compatibility with PS3 games (I'd like that it has also with PSOne and PS2 games but that won't happen for sure).

About software I wish there are more platform games and JRPG's as they used to be in previous generations. I pray for the return of Jak and an old-school Final Fantasy.

I don't care about launch titles since I will probably act like I did with PS3: buying it 2 years after its launch so there are many quality platinum games at that moment.
    Last edited by Olivario; 28th September 2011 at 04:46 PM.

PSN ID

Personally I hope the internet browser is vastly improved. Going on Youtube for example is hopeless on the PS3, the resolution is awful and it's a clunky interface. In fact the whole browser is crap to be honest.

They should just get a 3rd party developer to make them a decent one, or just stick Chrome on it or something.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

I would rather stick with my PS3 and my hard-earned trophies instead of replacing it to PS4.

Maybe when the PS4 comes out, I'll finally be able to afford a PS3!

I really hope they stay away from the whole kinect/motion control thing and stick to the dualshock concept. These things are fine as add ons for a few party games, but nothing can replace a well designed game pad imo. They need to stick to physical media as well, and NOT make the PS4 a cloud gaming service. It also had better be called the PlayStation 4. Enough of these silly console names like 'Vita' and 'Wii-U'

If the Vita is the huge success it has the potential to be, they may not even bother with a new home console for the time being.
    Last edited by nismology; 28th September 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

I don't particuliarly want backward compatibility. Taking into account PS3 "exotic" architecture (cell cpu), this would need some hardware pieces that would dramatically increase the cost of the PS4. I can keep my PS3 to play with PS3 games
    Apparently, if what has been said about PSVita is true, Sony finally cared about dev's opinions. That's a really good new!
    The main progress would be 1080p/60fps for every game, with no need of sacrifices. In this case, PS4 could have a very long lifetime IMO.

I would like so much a new controller! I hate dualshocks since the first one.

In my dreams, I would like a very nice multimedia part... but with PS3 and PSP experience, I give this dream 0.1% chance to become true

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID

Quote Originally Posted by Temet View Post
    ...I can keep my PS3 to play with PS3 games ...
    The question is how long will your PS3 live. Sooner or later it will die, and when that happens all your PS3 games will be only useful as a coaster for a glass.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID

If the PS3 dies, just get a replacement, so you can keep playing PS3 games.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Multi-CellBE processor?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID

Quote Originally Posted by MetaKraken View Post
    If the PS3 dies, just get a replacement, so you can keep playing PS3 games.
    But if PS4 had compatibility with PS3 games you wouldn't need to spend a lot of money in buying another PS3

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID

Still sticking with my PS3 either way.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I think the PS4 is four years away or more.

Sony develop hardware at great cost and ride out the storm until what they call the "harvest phase", which is when there is a critical mass of consoles in homes and a high enough attach ratio (games sold for each console) that they're making robust profit on the games.

It's taken longer to get to the harvest phase with the PS3 than originally anticipated, and they've ushered it on with multiple platform redesigns to bring down unit cost.

Compare that to the PS2, where late 2002 was deemed to be the start of the harvest phase for that console, having sold ridiculously well in Europe and the USA thanks to GTA III & GTA Vice City against almost no competition.

On the back of the PS2's success, Sony was able to commit to the R&D work for the PSP and PS3. However, the PS3 would eventually launch in a global economy on the brink of recession... and we all know how that turned out.

With the R&D costs of the Vita, the time between its launch and the harvest phase for that platform, and with the Japanese economy still reeling from that Earthquake in March, there's just no way a PS4 is imminent.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Man Rob, your insight and experience is undeniable. I believe you are spot on except for being 4 years away.I'd venture 12-30 months from now it will be landing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I second Rob's thoughts on this. As a video game's player and a long time Sony's consoles user, i feel that Sony will not release a new generation of console if it's not to make a significant technological jump. I'm not sure that next generation of console will show something as spectacular as ps1, ps2 or ps3 did at their time. So ps3 can still last a bit !
    Last edited by leungbok; 14th January 2012 at 07:13 AM.

PSN ID

Well there's been all manner of rumours about Sony or Microsoft teasing us at E3 this year with details of the next generation (subsequently denied by Sony but not, to my knowledge, by Microsoft).

Anyway I read this excellent article today, which is kind of a pre-emptive requiem for the games console as we know it...
    http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satellit...21243147823716

Timezone
    GMT + 12

just the news i want to hear when i finally got a ps3
    i highly doubt it that they will bring it out within this year though.. if they do then the price is just going to be ridiculious. same as when the PS3 first came out

PSN ID

I wouldn't worry about it Bom, the general consensus is that we won't see a PS4 until 2013 at the earliest, probably later. It would be nice to have some information released at E3, although you can understand why they wouldn't, as it can only harm PS3 sales.

Guess on price: 2 models

299/349 cheap model

399 model ( also makes perfect toast)

Late 2014 Japanese release