View Poll Results: Are you sick of weapons online?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes weapons fire is the bane of my existance!

18 31.03%
  • Meh, I could do without em but... meh.

11 18.97%
  • Nah I kinda like the combat.

13 22.41%
  • Hell no! I love shooting people!

16 27.59%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: weapons

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel__Gaddafi View Post
    There's really only one way to deal with barrier spammers, fight fire with fire. They don't like it when you do it back
    Good Idea but, when s/he leaves, all the barriers are there. Not saying it's a bad idea but, a big fire remains.

Army boyz huh, always flying the noob machine (I'm not saying everyone who uses Icarus is a noob (but lots of lvl 1's use it)). Ram you, fly ahead for the weapon pad, brake up, blast you sky high with a trio of rockets, then repeat.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

Fighting fire with fire is not a good idea at all. You can be absolutely sure that a spammer will never win the actual event. If you are looking to win, you should get ahead of him as soon as possible and dodge as many barriers as you can. To avoid damage, perhaps you could take a little less risk and boost earlier than usual - but even then, it should be really easy to beat spammers.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Yes it's easy to beat spammers, but they'll often hang around and wreck an otherwise pleasant room. Spam them back for just one race and they'll leave as soon as you return to the lobby. And you'll still win anyway, spammers are generally quite poor players, they struggle more than anyone with barriers littered all over the track.

PSN ID
    Tiduch

On eliminator must be option to blocks overpower (rocket and quake) weapons. Especially on 6-8 player eliminator.

Anyway, for what is weapons icon in eliminator room?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

spam race ftw!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    P_Denton, hyperfluous

Quote Originally Posted by Tiduch View Post
    On eliminator must be option to blocks overpower (rocket and quake) weapons. Especially on 6-8 player eliminator.

Anyway, for what is weapons icon in eliminator room?
    Yeah, and the bugs regarding the leech beams and quakes (you can't have 2 of those on track at the same time) should be corrected as well. I can't recall how many times I've fked up a leech or died while waiting for my quake to launch^^

@above : you very mean fellows, ostracising the poor n00bs They can be somewhat challenging if you're playing single-handed or something

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I started to shoot less in online mode.

But the problem here is the power of the weapons. You got hit by a missile and you can lose 4 positions if the other pilots have a little experience in the game.
    I think there are a little overpowered, and you have no chance to avoid it (if you don't have a shield).

PSN ID
    Tiduch

But the problem here is the power of the weapons. You got hit by a missile and you can lose 4 positions if the other pilots have a little experience in the game.
    I think there are a little overpowered, and you have no chance to avoid it (if you don't have a shield...).
    ...or bomb and mines : )

SpeedKAng96 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Venom Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SpeedKAng96

It's been pretty tough to pick an appropriate vote, but I prefer weps ON. If you would have a weps OFF race against someone with WHO'S LIKE A FREAKING DEMI-GOD at Wipeout HD (master of lines and shortcuts, that is). What's the odds to catch up? There's no way you can catch up unless there's an accindent (like falling off an egde).

But I see what you mean there, Oryx. Weps ON races is damn frustrating, especially when you're in the middle of it all. There's QUAKE from some dude from far behind, MISSILE by the guy chasing you, then top it off with rockets from behind at point-blank-range. All-in-a-damn-heartbeat! That's it, you're KO'd. From what i've seen is that weps have grown more powerful with time and patches. But what I prefer, weps is the way to get forward.

Just my two cent's here, alright? (if you're wondering, I was talking about scenarios with Phantom speed class)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedKAng96 View Post
    What's the odds to catch up? There's no way you can catch up unless there's an accindent (like falling off an egde).
    IMO it's fair that's there's no way to catch up a pilot with better lines, shortcuts (piloting skills in reality). It must be like that on video games like on real life, training and efforts must give you the advantage on lazier players !
    Anyway a random factor can makes the races more spicy, but the weapons on wipeout HD don't even require skills (except maybe for the plasma and canon).

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberio View Post
    You got hit by a missile and...lose 4 positions...you have no chance to avoid it (if you don't have a shield).
    Dodge! Side shift right when it's about to hit you( you have to guess and the direction to SS too ) Dodged 3 yesterday when playing with SoA. (and the 4th one killed me...) But dodging in Elimo is impossible.

SpeedKAng96 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Venom Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SpeedKAng96

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    IMO it's fair that's there's no way to catch up a pilot with better lines, shortcuts (piloting skills in reality). It must be like that on video games like on real life, training and efforts must give you the advantage on lazier players
    Fair enough

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You are either going to run up against somebody that runs what is commonly referred to at the Zone & Arena as a GREEN race, which means if you were going to run under the same tactics it's very very hard to catch up to the front runner.
    OR, You use weapons to give yourself a chance.

The weapons have always been a part of Wipeout, if you don't want to race with them you always have the option to host a race without them.....but good luck getting many people to join you, as most of use who have tried this [Apart from AVALON event's ] can attest.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Not a problem, selection must ... select !

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

Default Weapons are a must

I've been playing Wipeout since the first on PlayStation back in 1995 and HD Fury since it was released. Weapons are an essential part of the game's racing strategy. Wipeout has always been good about checks and balances because of the weapons. They create a dynamic race in which someone who has good racing lines and the right weapon at the right time could win.

Personally, I dislike racing without weapons but don't mind a weaponless race or two every few races. Otherwise I don't see the point racing without weapons. It's difficult for someone to win that kind of race if they start in the higher positions. A good racer in pole position clearly has the advantage. Especially with the ships with good thrust like Goteki or AG.

Yeah noob quakes, random mines & bombs are annoying but that's Wipeout. There have been plenty of times when I was on the receiving end of lucky weapon strikes and I still won or placed in the top 3. Overall I enjoy playing with many of you. But I play to win...by any means necessary. lol

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I don't disagree with you on any particular point black but what I meant chiefly, at the start of this thread was that I'm sick of getting hit by rockets in every corner of a track until I either die or am in last place, usually both. cause it happens a lot, apparently to me more than some since I'm one of the few who're whining about it ^^;

But we've raced each other quite a bit and I don't mind saying that I use weapons more when I race you cause I know you're gonna shoot me if you get the chance. Now that's the game and that's fine, but dropping every mine and bomb you get when you're 8 seconds ahead (this isn't directed at anyone in particular by the way) which some people do, is just... well let's put it like this: it achieves nothing except making other people angry and I don't see how that's good race ethics any way you cut it.

I'm not against weapons as such but to clarify my point: people who use every weapon they get their hands on just because they can or because they cant win any other way, piss me off, because it ruins it for me and a lot of other people.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

yeah, I hate getting blasted by rockets too. lol. Especially all 3 at close range. If I have a good lead (5sec or more) I don't see the point in cluttering the track with bombs and mines. However, I wouldn't blame someone for not doing the same. I like trying to avoid them. Keeps my hand & eye coordination good. lol

I understand what you mean about people who use every weapon. I've lost races because of morons in or near last place just randomly firing weapons. I wish the devs added an option for hosts to kick clowns like that. I also wish the server would remove people who stay in the room but don't race.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I don't think it's that cut and dry on the weapons-off grid position problem, blackreign - it's only significant if the separation is over 4 places between you and the other good player. Thrust doesn't matter either, because the race isn't to the first weapons pad, it's to the finish line.

Weapons-on races between good players can completely rely on what pickups are received and at what time. If the person in front gets a turbo while simultaneously robbing the good player behind them of a pickup at all, the rest of the race is instantly changed to be based on pure luck with pickups, unless the player in front makes a mistake - especially on sub-phantom speeds.

The only reasons why I play weapons-on are because it's the only kind of race you can get anywhere near the top times; and that you have the chance to exploit more barrel rolls, which IMO are a fundamental aspect of the gameplay which simply cannot be utilised enough if you can't restore your shields.
    As a competitive form of play, it's too unfair and luck-based though.

Not saying weapons shouldn't be in WipEout, there's a place for them in the game as it's fun for casual play; however I'd just like to see a better competitive mode that has the random factors removed... and I don't think online TT's would be exciting enough.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

There's a big difference between "the weapons in HD Fury are way overpowered" and "weapons don't belong in Wipeout games at all". I doubt that many people mean the latter when they complain about the weapons.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    I don't think it's that cut and dry on the weapons-off grid position problem, blackreign - it's only significant if the separation is over 4 places between you and the other good player. Thrust doesn't matter either, because the race isn't to the first weapons pad, it's to the finish line.
    I disagree. With the lag ramming issue for select maps I think the thrust comes in handy, especially when AG-Sys+ speed is about as good as any other craft.

If you want an example, go play Vineta K Reverse with weapons off against at least 3 other good pilots. I've lost up to 30 shield energy on the third corner in the first lap.

Although I agree completely otherwise.

I'd also like to mention I've had more fun in weapons off races than on. Even though I've played much less of them.