View Poll Results: Are you sick of weapons online?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes weapons fire is the bane of my existance!

18 31.03%
  • Meh, I could do without em but... meh.

11 18.97%
  • Nah I kinda like the combat.

13 22.41%
  • Hell no! I love shooting people!

16 27.59%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: weapons

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Default weapons

I'm so sick of getting hit with so many weapons online these days that I'm honestly considering not playing online anymore. just wanted to see what your take was on it.

PSN ID
    Ziz528

Agree with you totally. Especially 1v1's. When it's just you and a randomer, and you have a clear 3 sec lead that you fought hard to get with lines, not weapons, then he just fires a rocket at you and flies past, well, that's just annoying.

Especially when he flies out of sight and you just happen to pick up a missile that's out of range. Story of my life.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

I voted against weapons. Not because I want them removed from the game (though I wouldn't object to that), but because they're just stupidly overpowered in HD Fury in particular (Pure and Pulse also have overpowered weapons, but not so bad). The speed loss is just too much IMO.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Rennfisch / dieBeulenpest

I agree as well.

Normaly I fly Piranha. It has well-known less thrust. A few mines/bombs - I'm the last one immediately and if I pass someone I'll be hit by some missile or such crap and can't get away from last place.

When I host a race without weapons, after a few tracks most of the contenders were gone.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    FlintFandango or RennFlint or Flint Fandango (PS4)

Weapons are for sissies, imo.
    Mines, Bomb and Quake equals scraping, pricking and hair-tearing.
    In Wip3out, I play weps off only, because you still have the possibility to do a hyperthrust, but in HD I prefer "green races" due to the Turbo.

PSN ID
    Ziz528

Quote Originally Posted by Rennfisch View Post
    When I host a race without weapons, after a few tracks most of the contenders were gone.
    This is SO true. I turned weps off for a full Rapier room, 5 left after the first race (did it suddenly... ) and 2 messaged me, 1 saying "F*** you noob", and the other politely asking for weps to be turned on. The latter was Azurooth

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Somebody called you a noob for turning the weapons off?!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    FlintFandango or RennFlint or Flint Fandango (PS4)

Hey, imagine an eliminator with weapons off...
    That would make a great WOZ-Trophy: Win an eliminator just by ramming your opponents to death, slam ´em into walls and push them off the track, if possible.
    Sweet fantasy...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Rennfisch / dieBeulenpest

ROFL! Everyone wants to pilot a Triakis then!

PSN ID
    Ziz528

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmadSmartAlex View Post
    I know right? I lol'ed quite a bit at that one.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmadSmartAlex View Post
    Off course !! How can someone deprive real players from their quake and bomb's skills ?
    Last edited by leungbok; 26th September 2011 at 09:29 PM.

PSN ID
    Tiduch

I love weapons, especially on eliminator.

That would make a great WOZ-Trophy: Win an eliminator just by ramming your opponents to death, slam ´em into walls and push them off the track, if possible.
    Sweet fantasy...
    It's impossible, you dont get points for ram kill.
    Last edited by Tiduch; 26th September 2011 at 09:56 PM.

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

I hate bombs and mines, but ofcourse, always try to get in front all means necessary

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    NX-01 StarClass: alias (Old Scholz Playa)

You know that a few well placed bombs or mines is a great equalizer for players that insist on ramming the hell out of you off the line. And a peacefully "Quake" is a good way to clear the road ahead for the win.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I think weapons are a part of WipEout, but I also think the actual racing gameplay is above and beyond that of the casual weapons-on races. It's hard to say WipEout would be better if it didn't have weapons, but at the same time, there's no mode online that really encourages people to race the best.

I would like a new "pure race" mode that capitalises primarily on a player's racing skills only; but it would probably require some new elements to make it more fun and competitively worthwhile than speedlap, including some energy-related restrictions, but nothing as bad as with weapons-off races.

People have said WipEout has good potential as an eSports game in the past, and this is what it's missing if it has a chance of that. Single Race as it is is too random and casual, and there is no head-to-head mode that's dependent on skill.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I'm okay with weapons. However, I'm not okay with people who use AG-Systems to get the fast start just to get to the first weapon and use every bomb and mines they get their hands on. Some good racers will be 5 seconds ahead and still drop them. It's annoying, frustrating, and unneeded.

This is why I try to only play with people like DP, Oryx, Lady, and a few others. Everyone else is so hell bent on placing first that they don't even want to make it a close finish.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Ah I should've been clearer. I dont mind so much that weapons exist in the game but if you're unlucky a single mine can drop you from first to last place (think sol 2 open part and suddenly lapped mines!)as MrSmad said weapons are overpowered. What I'm especially sick of though are players who just cant seem to avoid putting the boot in as many times as possible.
    I'm sure it's happened to everyone here once or twice: you're in the lead, you get shot by a missile as the guy passes you he blasts you with rockets and drops a bomb in your path right after the next weapon pad.

Curiously I dont mind cambodia races among friends though. I guess it's the feeling that people win only because of weapons that's annoying.

As a side note the phrase: "Greater use of combat" is the one single thing that gets me worried about wo2048.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I regret a lot that devs had included eliminator mode with Fury without porting also the multiplayer timetrial from pure !! I'd loved to race with some noob friends on HD !
    ATM i play a lot a little psn game called SkyDrift, and it have that kind of mode.
    It's really very addictive !! I hope the speedlap online mode on 2048 will ressemble to it.
    About weapons also, the more tactic use of items on next wipeout will make it less frustrating to play for pilots who wants more to race fast than shooting at everything !!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Weapon's gestion could be changed to bring some strategy.
    In WOHD, I kinda hate them... rockets, mines or bombs slow you really too much. This has been said several times, it's not only my feeling
    In old Wipes, weapons used to slow you down less, and ships didn't take ages to gain speed again.
    A game like Blur introduced more strategy with weapons.

I'm afraid the split in yellow/green pads in 2048 is not enough. Weapons must slow down less.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Quote Originally Posted by Frailavi View Post
    I'm okay with weapons. However, I'm not okay with people who use AG-Systems to get the fast start just to get to the first weapon and use every bomb and mines they get their hands on. Some good racers will be 5 seconds ahead and still drop them.
    I totally agree! i love weapons but when people keep dropping mines and bombs it does get frustrating! when im in the lead (rarely) i will absorb everything except for turbos and shields and only lay bombs and mines if someone is right behind me.
    But its a part of the game... learning to sideshift around the mines and not flying directly behind your opponents is the best way to avoid the bombs and mines.