View Poll Results: Are you sick of weapons online?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes weapons fire is the bane of my existance!

18 31.03%
  • Meh, I could do without em but... meh.

11 18.97%
  • Nah I kinda like the combat.

13 22.41%
  • Hell no! I love shooting people!

16 27.59%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: weapons

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Quote Originally Posted by Temet View Post
    In WOHD, I kinda hate them... rockets, mines or bombs slow you really too much. This has been said several times, it's not only my feeling
    In old Wipes, weapons used to slow you down less, and ships didn't take ages to gain speed again.
    Yes, I like the way the weapons are in the first game. They're tactical and subtle. 2097 is fine too. If the new games had something like that, I wouldn't complain about weapons at all.

PSN ID
    goddessloviatar

I don't mind weapons at all, and I find in most of the races I do with a small starting grid that a gentlemans agreement seems to come into play- if racing just a couple of opponents, bombs and mines are infrequently laid, and the higher skill weapons are the polite way to go- cannon fire is fine! I only use quakes etc if my opponent has raced off into the distance.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

weapons?
    YES, of course. u know, it's a weapons based racing game.
    u don't want weapons? easy solution: don't play wipEout.
    play f-zero instead or other fast racers without weapons.
    have u ever heard anyone saying: i don't like weapons in an ego-shooter? of course not.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

It wasn't always a "combat racing" game, though.
    As people have said before, it used to be about the anti-gravity ships, the speed, the challenge, racing; the weapons were just something extra that made it more tactical (with a little luck, of course). A racing game with weapons in it, not a luck-based-weapons-based racing game, as it's become.
    If it had always been like this, I might agree with your solution. But what most people complain about applies to HD Fury much more than the other games.

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

Voted for the wrong one. >_<

Meant to vote for Weapos are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    FlintFandango or RennFlint or Flint Fandango (PS4)

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    You donĀ“t like weapons? easy solution: Turn them off. Yes, we can!

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I won't go into a long essay, because a lot of people know my stance on weapons. Let's just say I don't like them.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Just thought I'd make myself a bit clearer as well. I don't think the use of weapons makes a pilot worse at the game, but I do think it takes the fun out of WipEout. I play WipEout because it's a high detail, extreme speed, Anti-Gravity racing game. Although weapons have their place in this game, some take it too far for my tastes.

This could be the reason I've been playing Jet Moto more than WipEout lately. (Weapons and lack of Phantom rooms)

Timezone
    GMT -5

For the most part I race DEfensively not offensively. If you shoot me I will not hesitate to shoot back! Don't really like the shootouts that tend to happen when you get a bunch of skilled racers in a heated race.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

weapons?
    YES, of course. u know, it's a weapons based racing game.
    play f-zero instead or other fast racers without weapons.
    have u ever heard anyone saying: i don't like weapons in an ego-shooter? of course not.
    Since half of HD's modes have nothing to do with weapons I'd hardly call Wipeout a weapons-based racing game.
    Telling someone that what they like about a game is apparently beside the point and that they should play a completely different game instead seems a bit silly, no? Hell, 50% of people polled here on a WipEout fan site seem to outright disagree with that stance as of right now.

And I'm not sure what an ego-shooter is, but I'm pretty sure that's about 15 miles off the mark if you're talking about WipEout.

Anyway...
    It ultimately comes down to what's fair. Weapons as they're currently implemented simply aren't, and it's fundamentally flawed game design IMO. You can say aspects of them are fun, but you can't escape the fact they're unfair either.

IMO, something needs to change if racing is meant to be the primary focus of WipEout, and it has to go further than toning down the amount of randomness by dividing the items between new pads.
    Unfairness has no place in a skill-based racing game.
    Last edited by amplificated; 28th September 2011 at 03:25 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

You know, the funny thing about weapons is that it's not the damage I despise, it's the slow down. If mines and rockets didn't stack their slow down (Or have any slow down at all), it wouldn't be too bad in my personal opinion.

Really I think only missiles and quakes should have slow down on hit. Only for the reason that missiles should be used to overtake an opponent who is giving you trouble and quake is indiscriminate on who it hits.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TakatsukiYayoi

+1 Frailavi, I hate the slowdown most of the weapons cause.

Also, I haven't played HD extensively for a while, but don't mines and bombs have a "bounce effect" when you hit them as well? Honestly, I thought that plus the slowdown afterwards was total overkill.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I think the bomb has that effect, but mines do not. The mines just stack the slow down (lengthens the time needed to begin accelerating again) depending on how many you hit... unfortunately if you hit even one mine you lose all control over your ship and can't really dodge the rest.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

I like the combat side of things, and sometimes there's nothing more satisfying than duking it out with somebody over the length of a race. But it's incredibly annoying that a single bomb or set of mines can render a race over before it's really started. You're five seconds behind the pack and you know you've got several more bombs and mines to come.

This isn't an excuse for rage-quitting though. Just suck it up and get to the next race

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    P_Denton, hyperfluous

What's an excuse to ragequit then ? Plus you do society a service by not making the others wait for you
    Seriously though, it's more of a problem of how many (good) players you stuff into a room methinks. Generally, you get more easily chained-killed in a full room if you see what I mean, even in weps off . You get a lot more of action though, too much for me sometimes.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

For people saying "play F-Zero", "play weapons off", "don't play wipeout"...
    I like weapons! I don't like no weapon.
    What I don't like, is that they slow down too much!
    They must take energy down, they must slow down... but not that much!

For 2048, dev said they wanted "wing to wing" races... so I hope they decreased the slow down due to weapons... or it will never be "wing to wing"

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

@ flint:
    yes, we can turn off weapons, but it's not a 'solution' someone can be pleased with. u can't regain lost energy, that makes the whole experience a bit boring in my opinion.

@ ampli:
    all the modes u r talking about, r exclusively single player offline modes, so we can't count it. all online modes (single race; eliminator; zone battle; tournament) re weapons based. fact.
    well, ego-shooter (first person shooters) r weapons based, so it's not 15 miles off, just a few millimetres
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 28th September 2011 at 12:45 PM.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

@ flint:
    yes, we can turn off weapons, but it's not a 'solution' someone can be pleased with.

@ ampli:
    all the modes u r talking about, r exclusively single player offline modes, so we can't count it. all online modes (single race; eliminator; zone battle; tournament) re weapons based. fact.
    well, ego-shooter (first person shooters) r weapons based, so it's not 15 miles off, just a few millimetres
    HD is not just about online you know. The single player aspect of it makes up a LOT, so you can't really discount that and say that it doesn't count.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Single Race has weapons off mode. That's niche, you say? Well then I'd argue Zone Battle, Detonator, and Eliminator as being niche modes compared to Speed Lap, TT, and even Zone.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

these offline modes (speed lap; time trial; zone; detonator) doesn't involve other ships on track, so it makes no sense to include weapons to them. detonator is a bit different, u need weapons here, otherwise u wont get a high score.
    in general, only modes with opposition can be counted to this discussion. all of them have weapons..........