Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: People looking forward to Wipeout 2048

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SomeWhiteNoise

Thumbs up People looking forward to Wipeout 2048

There is so much negativity going on in the Wipeout 2048 thread. You guys remember, don't you? Not more than two months ago we had no reason to believe that there was even going to be another Wipeout - with all the cutbacks at SL, how could it happen?

I'm insanely excited about the new Wipeout and I want to share this excitement with the lot of you, the biggest Wipeout fan community around. This is wicked awesome. But I can't say anything, because any post would get buried under a mountain of flames made by a bunch of wipeout purists who just flat out hate the game. Just hate it. Gonna shoot it with their Desert Eagle the minute they buy it.

Will someone please explain to me how you can judge a game that isn't even out yet? Seriously, you guys are going ballistic over screenshots and mere seconds of video from a something that's not even finished yet.

So anyway, this is space for people to share what they're looking forward the most about the new Wipeout: For me, actually, it's the wider tracks. Not for the battle aspect but the speed aspect of it - more space, less collisions, more flying. And with more space, more contenders can duke it out on the track, maybe we'll see a return to the 12 and 15 grid competions of yesteryear? I certainly hope so. Other things I'm hyped up about:

Return of the orignal craft shapes.
    Return of the marked weapon pads in Wip3out.
    Glass track bits looked amazing!
    ALTIMA VII!!!

That's all I can think of ATM, what do you guys have to say?
    Last edited by Slacker; 3rd June 2011 at 08:39 PM.

OK, here is my problem broken down:

WO is a game that relies on style as well as being a hard core racer. The style element has been lacking since Pulse and its never got out of the rut its in now. The released screen-shots make it look like a generic Burnout clone- one screenshot had cars, a bus and a glass racetrack. This is just an illogical mix from a concept standpoint for an antigrav racer set 30 years from now.

Why not indulge with some atmospheric 2097 style settings? Or look at films like Minority Report for inspiration? I cant judge how it will play (god forbid if its like Fury)- I want a game thats about racing (not combat), and has a cutting edge graphic design- essentially Wipeout.

I will still buy the new game,only because I dearly love Wipeout- but I hate seeing the potential wasted by developers who are obsessed with EA style racing games.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Everything.

Despite my skepticism displayed in the other thread, I would still pay good money for the PS3 version. NGP version is a no-no.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JuiceStickers

The only thing worse than negativity towards a game we know very little about, is negativity towards those being negative to begin with. I read through all those pages and no where did I see people cutting the game to bite size pieces. The only thing I saw was a bunch of excited fans expressing their opinions and concerns towards an unfinished project. A project, mind you, that might actually be using this board as a reference to see what the fans want and read their opinions about the game thus far.

That aside, I'm very excited about this new installment. While I will admit I'm a little unsure about the drastic changes they're applying (large courses, more ships) and some minor little fanboy issues (how can the game take place at the beginning of the FX series if it takes place in 2048? That just leads me to beleive that the developers don't much care for the lore of the series) there are several things I'm super stoked about. Handling, multiplayer, new/retro ship designs. But it's too early to really say anything about the game. I'll wait before expressing my true opinion. I just pray that it doesn't turn into a glorified tech demo of the NGP and NGP/PS3 connectivity.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

As i already said on the other thread, widest tracks is not sure to be the caracteristics of this new game. I do believe it's only one track shown on the pictures and short video, and maybe it's the widest like anulpha or moa therma are for HD & pulse.
    Maybe some outpost or citta nuova's like will be shown soon

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SomeWhiteNoise

"I read through all those pages and no where did I see people cutting the game to bite size pieces."

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    sorry, but calling the game 2048 and then using a design and art direction similar to HD/Fury just killed it on the spot for me. I don't need another HD addon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ O'Connell View Post
    there's nothing to discuss, game's 100% ****, Studio Liverpool are a bunch of talentless hacks. nostalgia goggles have spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    I'm done with it before it even comes out. Nothing looks more wanky than a lap of barrel roll chaining - it's not a racing game any more, it's a weapon bloated gimmick festival.
    Fact of the matter is, I got a replacement PS3 in March and haven't even re-downloaded WipEout HD yet, so I guess I was finished with WipEout as a franchise long ago. The barrel rolls killed it for me and it's never coming back.
    That's the point of this thread: no flaming, no trolling, no 'this is going to suck eggs' talk about WO2048. I know that the day we all agree on something is the day the world ends, we're an opinonated bunch, but let's keep it healthy and not ruin it for each other.

@mdhay Agreed. Can't wait for this game to come out, but it better come out on the PS3.
    Last edited by Slacker; 4th June 2011 at 01:14 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I don't know why some people consider criticism to be flaming...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    widest tracks is not sure to be the caracteristics of this new game.
    Unless there are missing nuances to the statement, it's pretty much confirmed that the tracks will be wider in this new game.
    That's my only concern with this game though.

I'm very much looking forward to what they are doing with the game otherwise, in the art, music, and story department. I do hope there's some sort of story to that as they are mentioning for the first time since 10 years ago that there is a story (By marketing it as a prequel to the original.)

Heck, if it plays awesome like the other WipEout games despite the wider tracks, I might give it a shot.

But it has to be awesome. WipEout = awesome for me by definition.

Thumbs up

I'm so stoked.

Yesterday (before the screenshot thread descended into hatred), I wrote a comment and referenced the parts of the interview videos which actually show 2048 (rather than wipeout hd running on NGP -there is a big difference) and described what exactly I was excited about.

Sadly, my device ran out of batteries as I was finishing the message.

I think the potential and the vision here is astounding. I urge everyone to calm down until we see an official trailer of the ACTUAL game.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I don't care about what the detractors say, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands of it, that's if is available to be played on the PS3 on release.
    It will be a must have purchase by all here [even most of it's detractors will end up getting it I'm sure ]

I will say I'm a bit apprehensive about some of the released details about the game, namely that the tracks are going to be 3 levels, and the craft race up the side of buildings to get to the higher levels.

I think it will be the biggest make or break aspect of the game depending on how it's done.

The worse thing is going to be the wait, at least 7 months

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Agreed with blackwiggle, I'm happy to have another Wipeout, with many new tracks
    and ships, and several new modes
    As far as I'm concerned, WOHD was nearly perfect, and just needed more tracks as
    well as other adjustements ... luckily we might be getting exactly that.
    And yes, a PS3 version would be welcome too, then I'll just buy both!

PSN ID
    RozPT

When I read "new wipeout by SL" on the internet, my heart started racing reaaaal fast. I'm very excited to see a new wipEout, I really thought Fury was the last ever or that a new green studio would take the franchise and ruin it.

With that said, I must admit I'm worried. wipEout always had a huge background and by doing a "prequel" they really need to pay attention to stuff, so that all the universe stays coherent. By this I mean special attention to the storyline and setting. It would be amazing and a huge fan tribute if the visual style had some cues from wipEout 1/2097. Gritty, dark, underground racing, before it became popular. /fangasm

And as others said, I'm hoping the width of the tracks don't take piloting skill from the equation. I thought Fury had a nice balance between weapon "skill" and piloting, although I would prefer that the outcome of races lean more to the driving skill aspect and less about weapon managment. Although I think Outpost 7 style is extreme, I wouldn't mind having another challenging Citta Nuova in there.

All in all, really looking forward to this game, but I have my share of worries. Let's wait and see.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    RICHochet

I don't really care who else is excited for this. All that matters to me is how much I am looking forward to this. If not this game specifically, simply the fact that WipEout isn't dead yet is reason to rejoice. Had absolutely no interest in the NGP before, now I *might* actually buy it. Either way, I'm stoked and it looks like many other people are too. Is everyone excited for this? No, but so what?

So far though the only thing which worries me a bit is the comparatively modern look of the game as to me WipEout is about the future, not the contemporary. But we'll see. It's honestly waaaay too early to judge.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

First off, I find it ridiculous that people who are posting legitimate concerns (as in, concerns based on what has been stated clearly in interviews or based on what is seen in vids/screenshots) get their concerns called "flaming" or "hate".

Not more than two months ago we had no reason to believe that there was even going to be another Wipeout - with all the cutbacks at SL, how could it happen?
    Okay...I'm excited there's another wipeout coming out, and especially that Studio Liverpool isn't totally dead. I'm sure everybody on this forum is excited and happy about that.

But I can't say anything, because any post would get buried under a mountain of flames made by a bunch of wipeout purists who just flat out hate the game. Just hate it...
    Well maybe calm down a bit there. The ones posting criticism and even mild concerns about the game are getting "buried under a mountain of flames" if you want to call it that. If you think that's bad, why don't you go back and read threads about the last games, each time they were released?

Will someone please explain to me how you can judge a game that isn't even out yet? Seriously, you guys are going ballistic over screenshots and mere seconds of video from a something that's not even finished yet.
    This being a wipeout fan forum, and fan meaning "fanatical about"...isn't that self-explanatory? And, "going ballistic" is one heck of an exaggeration.

I share your enthusiasm. I can be happy about a new game out but still be concerned by what it appears to be. That's my prerogative and everybody else's as well.

YAHOO, WIPEOUT IS NOT DEAD YET! STUDIO LIVERPOOL LIVES!!!!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    That's the point of this thread: no flaming, no trolling, no 'this is going to suck eggs' talk about WO2048. I know that the day we all agree on something is the day the world ends, we're an opinonated bunch, but let's keep it healthy and not ruin it for each other.
    That's a bit hypocritical, considering quoting people out of context from different threads and insinuating that they are trolling or flaming when they are merely stating their opinion is hardly "healthy" in itself. :-

I actually don't mind seeing wipeout on the streets. Actually, I've been waiting for this ever since I first tried the first wipeout (after playing Pure and pulse for a while). I wanted to see those pioneer ships in high detail going around in a near future.
    I wish, though, they put some old Cold Storage musics, or, at least, let us put our own music.

Anyone willing to update this page if they have a TVTropes account? Could be a record for people complaining A YEAR before the game comes out: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...edItNowItSucks

ion harvest is offline Banned for sending profane and abusive PM's Rapier Pilot
    PSN ID
    ion_harvest

I bet we all buy it. We all play. It. And we all love it.

Oh come on lighten up fellas. Its gonna be frikkin awsome. Once you get used to it. XD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

maybe that thread can also be used to explain our attemps on the game and features we'd love to see implemented (let's put appart the sensitive subjects like wide tracks, BRs, powerfull weapons, illogical storyline etc. ^^)
    I'd love to have :
    - skin editor like on pulse with higher definition off course.
    - online tt mode like on pure with intangible ships.
    - a replay mode available for all modes like those on GT5 and other recent racers, wipeout deserves more than a photo mode (even if it's powerfull )
    - a faster speed class than phantom available on every modes.
    - a working ingame's voice chat option
    - a smoothest spectator's mode.
    - DLC's to come if wipeout 2048 is really a brand new game (even with HD's physics)
    - weapon pads ALWAYS FULL like on eliminator mode.
    Last edited by leungbok; 5th June 2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot something soooo annoying on HD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Colour me happy if we get a skin editor! anyway I've been thinking about this endurance races are possible in HD but there is no endurance mode as such. I'd like to see that. I dont know exactly what I think should be changed to achieve this but it would be nice if there were leader boards for enduro races to at least.

Also I wish they would bring back the cockpit view from WO3 the one where you can see the console in the ship. Just cause it looks awesome