Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to cheat online?

Default Is it possible to cheat online?

I love WipEout. I'm not the best pilot in the world, but I can hold my own. I don't mind losing a fair race, but have had occasion to suspect that not all races online are fair and can't help but suspect there may be some cheating going on. I hope what I describe below are just glitches, but would be interested to hear if you have experienced anything similar.

First, ships that seem impossible to overtake. The minute you catch up with them, they boost into the distance. They aren't barrel rolling, and it happens in games where weapon hints are on, so you can tell they don't have a speed boost stored, so how on Earth are they achieving such a speed increase when you try to overtake? Is it a paticular tactic or skill that can be learned or is it a cheat, glitch or exploit? It ruins the fun of the game if the race doesn't feel fair.

Next thing I have noticed is double weapons. This is much rarer but does seem to happen. A ship will fire off a weapon, then immediately drop a bomb, some mines or use a speed bost etc. How can a ship fire off two seperate weapons in a row without passing a pickup pad?

The only other thing springs to mind is one that I am fairly certain was a glitch is invisible ships. In one race, I started at the front of the grid. No ships overtook me, but from the second the race started I was already in second place and something like 6 seconds behind at the first sector. By the second lap the invisible ship in pole position had establised a 15 second lead. How can they do this??

I want to stress, I am not a sore loser. Some of the most enjoyable, exciting races I have had are ones where I have lost against a better pilot, or someone has performed some amazing manouvre or a great weapon use at the last minute. Fair races are fun whether you win or lose, right?

It's just sometimes it doesn't always seem to be fair.

Timezone
    GMT -5

1. Ships don't always show the BR animation. Just assume they did.

2. Can't say I've seen this myself. A recorded clip (I know it'd be hard to get) would probably be needed first before we could really tell you how.

3. Sometimes lag does funny things. It can allow players to start 10 seconds ahead, or in my case allow me to start 30 seconds behind on TJ while I watch myself getting quaked before the camera is even behind my ship.

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

No, cheating online is absolutely not possible. Trust me. I'm racing online for 2 years now....What you are experiencing is lag. For example: I had a 1vs1 race last week and my opponent was at the start/finish line all the 5 laps, But there were weapon pads taken when I crossed them, when the race was finished I lost by maybe half a second. I asked him WTF!? And he said he saw me at the start/finish line all the time

Lot's of strange lags and glitches can appear online...

Smile

Ah, I didn't realise that the BR animation didn't always show. That would probably explain it.

I don't have any video capture equipment, so the weapons glitch would be hard to prove, but hopefully someone else would have experienced something similar.

The third one I am confident was just a glitch, just thouhght it was worth mentioning.

I always assume these things are glitches and accidents as opposed to foul play, but given that the PS3 and PSN is not the closed system it once was and that other games have suffered at the hands of hacks and exploits, it's good to be cautious I think!
    Last edited by s0mmieUK; 14th July 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Typo correction.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

The double weapons pads thing is interesting. I've heard accusations of people cheating in that way in Eliminator online, and had previously thought those allegations were true. Things have come to light recently that suggest it's probably just bollocks though. Not sure about double weapons in races though, haven't seen it.

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

To be honest, I there there are cheaters. I came across someone (a lot actually) who got Boost-Bomb-Boost-Bomb for a whole race, they weren't a noob either. Not someone on the zone though but an established pilot none-the-less. Maybe he's just really lucky.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tug_14

well, R3BU5ER , cheating online is possible ^^
    i did it ...

get some air to take a "big" shortcut is not impossible , IMO ...

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

I know what you're talking about Tug.

PSN ID

UB3R - It's bound to happen from time to time I reckon. I've done Elims where all I've got is cannons and leech beams for three or four laps, it pretty much ruins your chances of winning.

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

But this was pretty consistent mate. No joke, over about 5 or 6 tracks! :/

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Err, if that is true we might see some kick-ass records showing up when the leaderborads are working again. Even an average player might be able to achieve records with this amount of turbos ... Plz - god of SW developers - don't let that happen.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

I think the only possible glitches are offline modes. The glitched records are there because they were not patched yet.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    hunterx848

i had once 5 quakes among 2 laps and destroyed 3 ships with that. track was vineta k
    but anyway i expierienced a strange race
    on chenghou project forward i was leading the race and were chased by someone .. let me say 0.5 sec behind me? and i took care to keep pickung up the x-pads so he doesnt get any items to attack me and im sure i didnt missed one. about 4 laps.. and still, he fired missiles and rockets at me o_O - and if im right, there are always single x-pads on the track. except the two on the ramp - but you can't reach both in phantom speed. only when slowing down o:

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The only HD cheat known and used by those pathetic enough to use it is the Pseudo side shift glitch, it gives you a false speed boost
    I'm not going to explain how it's done [you can find it in other threads], enough of a **** fight and bad feelings were cause already.
    Let it die.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

'side shift' cheat? never heard of it. i think u mean a 'technique/feature', that involves using the airbrakes in a way u wouldn't do normally.?

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

That's about in Jan.

You cheated online Tug?! How the he'll did you do that then...and I mean are you able to duplicate it? If you are talking about a uber-shortcut at Moa rev. Or something then yes, I'd understand. But isn't that a glitch really?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    PEPEDA

Hi all.

I´m level 100 on WOHD.Most of these levels i got playing eliminator since the feature was available.i suck on straight races because i like elim. more than race.
    I can`t say 100% that one "pilot" can cheat the game...but i will tell you one thing:from my 100 levels more or less 60-65 levels come from eliminator, so i consider myself an experienced elim. racer, i raced a pilot 2 times 1vs1 and i couldn´t hit him clearly,shooting tons of missiles,plasma or rockets...."the guy of continous shield" as i know him.....nothing more.

Of course, i know the length of time for shield in eliminator, so i shoot him in the right moment thousand times with no result.....Mr. Shield.....
    Last edited by PEPEDA; 14th July 2011 at 06:40 PM.

PSN ID

Thumbs down

David, the "Mr Shield" you're on about happens to be bloody brilliant at both Zone Battle and Racing, why on Earth would he choose to cheat at Eliminator?

And we should just get it out in the open, you're talking about Tiduch.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    PEPEDA

Of course Adam.
    I didn´t have a bad day....i was hot in the moment of battle....and no one hit clear???....no mate,aaaaaaaaalways shield.......easy on eliminator by absorbing any weapon......

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    NX-01 StarClass: alias (Old Scholz Playa)

WoW! This went south fast. @s0mmieUK I agree with the lag issue. Lag causes strange sh$t to happen which creates glitches which have you racing ghost ships doing bizarre things. Now my racing strategy is to utilize weapons pads (my br skills are weak) and many times weapons back to back to win a many races. I use to wonder about the possibility of cheaters online, but I think not! I just attribute thoses players to know better shortcuts, are masters of br & got great skills. It's all in fun and I just take the loses as a "kick in the ass" to improve my gameplay.