Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Network Connection Errors

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Default Random Network Connection Errors

Hi Guys,

Have been playing Wipeout HD for about a week since joining with absolutely no problems.

Tonight I now randomly get kicked out of online play with 'Network Error: Cannot contact server' or similar related messages.

I can login to online play every time, and join a game every time, I just usually get kicked out after about a lap or two, consistently in the first race anyway.

Have no such trouble playing other games online eg. GT5, LBP .. running Internet Connection Test is fine, Type 2 NAT etc. so I have no clue what it could be.

Please help !! I really love the game this is so annyoying out of the blue.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Try changing your selected online location.
    Go to online where the boards are, then press square, you will have a choice to select between EU, US, AUS, JAP, KR.

This has worked before for others that have suffered this problem, if it works for a while then the same problem returns just change back to your original.
    Sometimes it's just server overload that causes it, so switching to another sorts it.

It could also be somebody else in your household is using the internet at the same time and is slowing down your upload speed, so you get disconnected.

Also, if using a wireless modem, do a check to see how many devices are using it, you wouldn't be the first to get a nasty shock if you find that you next door neighbor has been connecting to the internet via your wireless modem.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

blackwiggle - thanks so much for the tip of changing zones I will definately give this a go.

I have suspected things like LAN congestion, I am on wireless but my PC was idle not running any downloads or filesharing software etc. and my WLAN is secured with WPA2 (though I'll double check tonight for any stray clients) so I'm fairly sure its not a local issue.

Again hope I can get it resolved !!! Loving this game ..

Timezone
    GMT -5

If it's possible, try directly connecting your PS3 to the modem for a little while and see if your troubles continue. It's not a permanent solution, but it does help diagnose the problem.

With a router in the way it could be one of many things (As much as NAT2 should say it's fine, always better to check).

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Frailavi - thanks for the tip.

The PS3 is permanently wired to the Modem/Router via CAT5 cabling, only my laptop PC and (which I occaisionally run PS3 Media Server) is on Wireless connection - so I am fairly sure its not a LAN/WLAN issue.

Timezone
    GMT -5

But the router is the most likely issue, just bypassing it for a bit to see if the problem continues can rule out a lot of possibilities.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Most Modem/Routers are built as a single combined units now days, I haven't had separate units for years.
    What's more worrying for me is I've been looking at upgrading, as the whole of Australia is getting a new National Broadband overhaul to super fast cable [100mbs]
    But there are very few wired modems if you look at manufacturers sites, most of them are wireless, which makes having super fast broadband pointless if you throttle it at the last stage because of wirelesses transmission/receive limitations.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I think that's the case here, but typically it depends on your connection type, BW. Cable is a completely different beast to A/DSL.

Also, if the modems you're looking at upgrading to are ADSL, I can't see how the actual connection to the internet can be wireless - I haven't heard of a wireless telephone line connection? Most ADSL modems would require a connection to the phone line, which is always physical. I think the wireless you're referring to is the router side of things, in which case you're better off just getting a proper router - which would nearly always be a vastly better option than using a modem's routing/multi-connection capability.

If you're thinking of upgrading because of the NBN, I'd definitely hold off until you know what kind of modems you'll be getting. ADSL modems will not work with a fiber-optic service, but the NBN modems will definitely be able to plug into any router. The NBN modems will most likely be handed to you as part of installation anyway, and you'll probably never have to change or upgrade it again.

Shopping for a dedicated router opens up more options for home networking capabilities, also. I'd rather have a basic modem that does an admirable job of being connected to the interwebs, and have it plugged into a router rather than have a "wireless modem" any day.
    Last edited by amplificated; 21st June 2011 at 05:49 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

I've been looking at new modems to replace my existing Router/Modem combo, mainly to get 802.11n into my house, currently 802.11g is a bottleneck at 52Mbps (Streaming HD via PS3 Media Server over Wireless often breaks up).

An 802.11n Modem/Router running Wireless at 300Mbps should be no bottleneck either for streaming video, or accessing the new NBN at 100Mbps.

This Router seemed like the best choice for me, as it provides a FTTx ready port for when your NBN link does come in, and offers a 4-port Gigabit switch incase the Wireless is still an issue.

http://www.billion.com/product/wirel...r-Gigabit.html

I wouldn't ever have my PS3 running over wireless, only for laptops and other mobile devices in the house ..

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Yeah, those features sound neat. However, don't shop on features alone: do some research first and see if there are any common user complaints. If the router seizes up every other day and you have to reset it, it's going to be ever so mildly annoying - and that's said from experience Especially when it seizes up while you're playing a game.

If routing is your problem it might just be worthwhile getting a cheapie to fill in until you're sure you can get something that will last a while when the NBN comes your way.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

I really dont think my Router/Modem or ISP is the problem - I've had fantastic performance for several years, and my current one is a Billion Bipac like the new one mentioned above so I'd have no hesistation recommending the brand overall

Also all other online games (GT5, LBP etc.) as mentioned have no problems connecting, and the Internet Test from PS3 Network Settings is absolutely fine.

I'll be testing the changing of servers tonight as per blackwiggles original suggestion hopefully that fixes my issue with Wipeout ..

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Ampflicated
    I have never used wireless for any long term installation, it has always been a PITA, and I have always got better performance via cabled set up.
    So that is what I use.
    So come the roll out of the National Broadband Upgrade, I for one will not be stupid enough to throttle it by using any sort of wireless interface.

Wireless distribution would kill any gains gotten via optical fiber directly to the home.
    I know that, you seem to know it, but I bet the vast majority of people don't either know it, or expect a massive speed increase while using wireless as it is known now.
    Which isn't going to happen.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Well I'm sorry to report I'm still getting the network errors and disconnections from Wipeout HD

I tried changing all the different locations, confirmed no other clients on wireless, rebooted router, disabled UPnP on the PS3 but still the network disconnections occur.

Is there a support email for Studio Liverpool I can email with the issue ? I seem to recall hearing about one on here somewhere.

Thanks to everyone again for their help - if theres any other suggestions please let me know I'm suprised I am on the only one getting the problem.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Have you tried connecting with a different PSN user account?
    There was a problem 2 years ago where people couldn't connect with their primary PSNID, but they could when they made a second account.
    Their problem was that they couldn't connect at all, maybe your problem is a new variation of it.

Any problems with any other games?

Maybe the HD/FURY game data has somehow been corrupted, you might want to consider saving/backup all your HD/FURY game saved data to a USB stick, plus any ghosts you want to keep, then deleting HD/FURY, then going to download history at the PStore and reinstalling from there.

Clutching at straws here, maybe try rebuilding you hard disc data base as described in the link below might help?
    It couldn't hurt.
    http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/gu...-database.html

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Well I have thrown everything including the kitchen sink to try resolve my issue including the latest suggestions but still no luck:

- Rebuilt PS3 Database
    - Created New PSN ID
    - Tried both Wireless and Wired Connections to Modem/Router
    - Disabled/Enable UPnP
    - Changed MTU to 1492 (from Auto)
    - Upgraded Firmware in Modem/Router (Billion Bipac 7401VGP) to latest
    - Set IP Address of PS3 to DMZ Host

Absolutely no problems at all with other online games as mentioned. I can leave Gran Turismo 5 or Little Big Planet in Online gameplay for as long as I like with no issues.

It leaves either my ISP (TGP Australia) or the above mentioned Billion Router as the suspects. I have tried an email on the TPG forum at Whirlpool no response as yet.

I haven't deleted and re-installed Wipeout yet, may try that tomorrow but I really can't see how that will have an effect, the game loads and plays just fine otherwise, never crashes or freezes, purely just the network connection error issues.

If I've missed anything else grateful for the help.

PS. Is there a support email for Studio Liverpool to at least report the problem ?

PPS. Is there a way to check the version of Wipeout Installed ? And manually update it ?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

There's no direct contact address that I know of with SL that you could report you problem to.
    Maybe ring Sony Technical help desk.
    Australia: 1300 36591

I'd try deleting and reinstalling first.
    If your console has ever frozen and you have had to do a hard reset, it can lead to a dodgy section being left on the HD when the writing arm might of come in contact with the disc platter.
    This could of corrupted the data, or damaged that disc sector.

If you can get to the online boards then you have the latest version of HD/FURY, you won't even be able to view them without updating as it's both automatic and compulsory, and NO you can't roll back to a earlier version.

There's only one real way to find out if it's something gone amiss with your internet set up or components, or your ISP for that matter.
    And that's to take your PS3 around to a friends place and use their internet and see if the problem still exists, if it doesn't you have eliminated that it's your PS3 or HD/FURY game data have been corrupted, so it would only leave your ISP/ modem and/or settings between the it and the PS3.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I'd try deleting and reinstalling first..
    I'll give this a go as a last resort.

If your console has ever frozen and you have had to do a hard reset, it can lead to a dodgy section being left on the HD when the writing arm might of come in contact with the disc platter.
    This could of corrupted the data, or damaged that disc sector.
    I dont think so, and I'd imagine more severe things would happen than being kicked safely out of online game randomly in the middle of a game - but its possible.

There's only one real way to find out if it's something gone amiss with your internet set up or components, or your ISP for that matter.
    And that's to take your PS3 around to a friends place and use their internet and see if the problem still exists,
    Thats *exactly* what I had in mind !! I will be doing that this weekend presuming re-install fails.

I intend to get to the bottom of this :-)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Have to agree with BW and suggest you delete the game from your console and re-download. There's nothing to worry about; it doesn't hurt your save files, and re-downloading is also a non-issue, the 5 download limit PSN content has refers to the number of consoles the content can be downloaded to.

Honestly your issue at this point is sounding pretty unique, and it would seem like your PS3 is the problem. ISP issues are incredibly doubtful, and given your circumstances it sounds like your modem/router isn't the problem either.
    I don't think it should, but perhaps a database reconstruction will help ensure there are as few problems as possible after you delete the game/before you redownload.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Tried the full delete/reinstall and just tested Wipeout HD (without the Fury addon) inititally, and it only happened just as quickly again.

Will try it at a friends place over the weekend, he has the same ISP but a different router so it should be a good test .. I'm hoping its the router I was planning an upgrade anyway .. but maybe not the Billion Bipac model since thats the brand causing me trouble now (and I've heard others having trouble with newer models too).

Going back to earlier discussion, what brand of ADSL2+ modem/routers are people using successfully here ?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Are you saying you have not got the FURY DLC? or that you tried to connect first without it, then installed it and it still doesn't work?
    Not having FURY might your problem.
    The same "unable to connect issue" was happening to people until the FURY DLC came out, I'm pretty sure FURY wasn't just DLC, it was a game update as well.
    I think you should definitely have FURY installed.

I use a NetComm NB5Plus4, it's recently been superseded by the NB6Plus4
    http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-pr...dband/nb6plus4

I did a bit of research on suitable modem/routers before I bought it, and this one came recommended by a lot of people who know a lot more about them than I do.

I read at the Whirpool forums that you shouldn't really expect a modem/router to stay working flawlessly for more than 3 years, there specs can drift out over time.
    This is my first wired ADSL2+ modem, I've never had a problem with it and the software is easy to use when you need to, but from my previous experience with plain wired ADSL [slowly started losing signal, then suddenly died completely] and wireless modem/routers [depended on the phases of the moon's of Jupiter if it would work or not] I would tend to agree with their findings.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 24th June 2011 at 12:01 AM.