Thread: New to HD

Timezone
    GMT -8

Default New to HD

Hello, just want to introduce myself to the forum. I recently got HD and Fury a few days ago from the playstation welcome back offer and i absolutely love it. My brand of machine is Harimau and iv actually been wondering what the best mode/way to get loyalty points are. Overall iv been doing quite well on the whole game aspect of the game but if anyone has any tips there willing to share id love to hear there.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Hi welcome.
    Best way to get loyalty points is either speed laps [you'll find you will most likely get Piranhas loyalty points will trying to beat Zico] or Zone mode [Zone versions of the craft are in name only, there's no handling difference]

Timezone
    GMT -8

Thanks for the advice. Iv just been racing and battling to get better but i needed to find a way to get loyalty points cause racing doesnt seem to pay out much lol

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Hi Zolo, yes as Blackwiggle says speed laps and zone, due to the higher number of laps you do, will pay out lots of loyalty points.

You'll build them naturally with time anyway, and the only two trophies for them involve getting 500 for each team and 100,000 for any one team. You'll do both of these things easily in a couple of months just playing the game.

I'd have to agree. Infact If you're really wanting to improve those points I can definately recommend doing Zone races offline.

Mainly for the fact it will teach you some great evasion and control skill, which will make racing weapon live courses all the easier.

With time and practise you'll find yourself almost autopiloting most maps and your challenge then will be evading fire and giving fire.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Thanks, that actually seems like a pretty good idea. Iv been getting quite good at turning but practic is always needed. Honestly im not really interested in trophies or anything, i just want to get ahold of some new sparkley Harimau ships lol

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

There is a trophy only for 500 loyalty, but if I'm not mistaken, you have to get all the skins for all ships. And for that I think you've got to have 8000 loyalty with each. The best way is to play speed lap with your ship to learn the tracks and play zone with the others. Going for Zone Zues you'll gain a lot of loyalty and since all ships are the same there it's a good idea to gain some loyalty with the ships you like the least. Also, I think that the Fury modes: Detonator, Eliminator, give more points than standard races. I have 100 000 loyalty with Harimau just for finishing the Fury campaign.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    sycomosh

i personally felt that the fastest way to get 8000 loyalty points per team was through elite zone battle - if i remember right it only took about 6 or so races and they didnt take very long at all on AP

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

Hi, I'm also new to Wipeout. I noticed this community looking for help and tips and I'll admit, it's one of the best I've seen for any one game series.

Anyway, my request for help, I'm still getting use to the courses but some turns I just can't get even with high handling scores. It's even more obvious in Chenghou Project's first(ish) turn. Or it's last if going reverse. I use Triakis mostly but I can use any since I'm so new.

Any tips for the noob?
    Last edited by Augmentator; 10th June 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

@augmentor... and well anyone who wants to listen: master the sideshift and o so many turns become oh so much easier. the hairpin (second turn) on Chenghou included, but generally speaking try to work out the best racing line you can and tweak it til it suits your ship and playing style. though if you want tips on chenghou you should check out HellfireWZ's and Xenocide2097's vids on youtube hellfire has tutorials for all the tracks and xenocide(yeldar) well his vids are just a joy to watch and give you those extra few tips and tricks you might need.

chenghou is a tough track to master though. some people will tell you it isnt but they are either lying or they are extremely good pilots.

as a general piece of advice though master the sideshift and the barrel roll and you'll be competing sooner than you think, other than that it really is mostly practice and ambition to learn.

Good luck

/oryx

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

Thanks for the tip. I actually have been using the sideshift a lot. Too much. And at bad times. So I guess I'll have work on the getting rid of the bad habits. And those videos are extremely helpful. I'm going to play around with different manufacturers too. See if another has better turning that still satisfies my speed addiction. Any recommendations? It doesn't have to be easy to get use to either, I'm still learning so any will be fine. I'll learn with it. I'm flying on Rapier, btw.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Boy you sure picked a tough ship to master in Triakis [well the HD/Fury version that is].
    Triakis is like the tank in HD/Fury, it's fast once it's up to speed and heavy and can just muscle it's way around the track, but it is also the most unforgiving when hitting the sides of the tracks, as it has low thrust and takes an age to get up to speed again.
    Handling wise it's great in straight lines, but I find it a pig to steer, although I haven't really devoted that much time to it to be honest.

Trying to get Triakis around Chenghou for somebody that is new to the game, I wouldn't recommend it.
    Actually try Mirage, it's got the most balanced of all of the craft with Handling, Thrust & Shields all at 80%

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

Lol. I looked at Mirage for a while. I like it's color and stats, but something about the way it steers rubbed me wrong. I'll try it again. I might do better with it now that I've gotten better. And I do have Fury, but I'm using strictly HD vehicles for now. I look forward to contending online in about 50 years. Look out! Lol.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I'm mostly flying harimau fury and feisar fury myself with the odd run in the ag systems. thoughharimau is probably my faveourite. it has good handling high speed avarage thrust... be careful though it does have shields made of wet paper so it really doesnt take beatings very well.

for phantom though I think you'll find that on most courses the top speed doesnt matter so terribly especially not on chenghou or sebenco, on those tracks handling and thrust are paramount in my opinion.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

Yeah, Harimau has some great stats, no doubt. But like you said, not very durable. I did a few runs with the Mirage on Rapier speed on Chenghou and only saw inconsequential results. So I tried Feisar to get the full handling experience and I learned something. It's not the vehicles. It's my timing. I'm turning too late every time so not even sideshifts help. So anyone else following this thread will learn, learn to turn as early/late (depending) as possible on hairpins. The ideal way to do so is to get wide, airbrake at the ideal time and length (trial and error helps) and let momentum push you through. No need to slow down if done perfect. If you're a hair late, sideshift can pull you away from the wall. Any pros want to add another note?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

wouldnt call myself a pro but I'll add a note: something that has changed alot since the earliest incarnations of the series but is still very much around is that the ships dont follow your every move like a car does. they do slide a little bit even in the later games, this means that you have to be more prepared for whats coming and you have to turn earlier in general. The way I describe it to myself is to turn just before you think you should.

Something that I think quite a few beginners do too is to over commit. Turning for too long in a corner can be just as costly as you will either hit the inner wall on the way out or have to spend a lot of tme course correcting after completing the turn which in turn sets you up badly for the next corner.

it's also absolutely key to know how you craft handles as different craft have more or less efficient airbrakes and are generally speaking slidey to widely varrying degrees. being something of chameleon myself I can say that if I use the airbrakes they way I would in a harimau when playing feisar I'd hit ever wall in sight.

Hope that helps

/oryx