Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Time Wipeout'er, New Time Onliner

Default Old Time Wipeout'er, New Time Onliner

Been playing Wipeout for years offline, recently grabbed the HD freebie from the Welcome Back pack and went online.

For the most part its almost exactly the same as it used to be and online isn't much different from off, but I have been having trouble with a few things:

1. Lobby Abuse. Lately I've found people setting up lobbies as one race type and once everyone is in, switching gametype with very short start timers. Very irritating as I despise Extermination mode.

2. Is there any tips on how to deal with "Bully" racers? By bully racers I mean ones who have no intention of racing or fighting to win, just to knock some players down..

Quite recently Because of my almost pacifistic race style (I rarely use weapons like some of the more aggressive racers) I quite often find myself being targeted by weapons. Weapons is fair enough but my big gripe is the bullies that 'Grind'.

They'll sidle up next to you on a corner and use you as bouncing pads or grind you into a wall until you either wipeout or are weakenough to be wipedout by someone else further on.

Like I said I don't mind the racers who do this then go on to win, but lately it seems to be players who despise my style of racing which consistently get me podium and do everything they can to remove that chance even at the cost of them coming last.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

People changing game modes and press start directly afterwars are annoying indeed. Especially when there’s really no time to leave the race at all. It’s also a bit sad that the host can directly start the race without having to wait – let’s say five seconds – so people can decide whether to stay the race or leave.
    Also that WOHD does not highlight changed game aspects with symbols being red or something.
    But: After doing one race you can notice very fast if the host is a fair player or someone you better don’t play with.

Same goes for ramming; if the room is too full and you see yourself beeing spammed by weapons and ships crashing into you, you better leave. It’s even worse with Eliminator: Races with more than five or six people are barely fun anymore, especially on the shorter tracks. Sadly you cannot determine the number of players for a race, nor which weapons being available (an 8-player match often results in pure quake desasters).

So: What to do?
    Best way is to play with friends only or setting up races only a real fan base would enter. Turning off the pilot assists on Phantom often results in games with fair players for example. Same goes for weapon tips off.

Aye I've taken to doing that but thanks to the either inexperience of some or just the sheer desire to have Ram-Games, I find it takes a very long time to attract people to Phantom No Weapon races.
    Friends only would be a nice option, but I don't have many friends in rl that have the patience for wipeout and theres only so much self gimping you can do without coming across as "bighead" :/ Part of the reason I joined these forums, that. I heard theres a ladder here
    As for pilot-assist.. how can people use it? xD it cuts out a lot of decent trackwork, not counting the spazzing it causes on narrow track sections xD
    Just keep going I guess ;P
    Last edited by infoxicated; 8th June 2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quotation removed.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Hey xzal, nice to meet you! If you need more people on your friends list who arent into ramming ad really just wana be good pilots, you can give me an add on PSN. Im usually racing with other players who are focused on speed and improving. We do have weapons races of course but the item usage is usually by necessity and not just to litter the track with foreign objects. Usually we do a few weapons on races and then some off to mix it up. Also if you have acces to a pc or laptop while on your PS3 you can join us in the IRC chatroom and chat with other racers or just come to hang out and talk with other pilots in general, some new like you some intermediate racers and some really awesome racers. Heres the thread on how to get there.
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8180

Fly High and hope to see you online!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

With the influx of new players getting the game for free, notice I said players, not racers or pilots, you are going to get people that treat Wipeout as a shooter.
    Can't do anything about that and I doubt they will stick around long enough to learn how to race, so it's only going to be a blip in Wipeout history.

Same with those who don't have the gumption to realize that they are annoying the hell out of people when they change race settings, there's a element of false advertising going on with some of these new people just so they can get their room filled quickly.

With ramming, well you've got a couple of things that can make this worse.

One is other people using pilot assist and not knowing the tracks, so pilot assist is bouncing them off the side walls and into you.
    You can always spot a somebody using PA by them zig zagging across the tracks

Second is online lag, your crashing into craft that from your perspective are not there, but the collision detection lag makes it seem like they are.

Thirdly, and this is my own personal opinion, is that the choice of view you choose to race with [Near, Far, Internal] can make ramming easier for some than it is for others, easier for those who use external views. [ There's been many a heated debate here about if ramming is a legitimate race tactic]

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

Outta curiosity, what's considered "disrespectful" online racing? I would figure turning around just to screw with the leader, or a team of players targeting one player is on that list.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I'm not sure if there is an ethics guide (for the game) here on the forum (if there is, please someone link to it).

What I try to do is:

If I am the host:
    * Wait a little till everyone who comes on gets a chance to select their ship, etc. So if I'm ready to start a race, and suddenly a dude comes on, I delay for a little bit, checking to see if they try to change their ship.

* Wait till everyone knows what race they're playing. Remember, it takes a few seconds for players' displays to show changes in the lobby. So someone may be in the process of entering a lobby while the race changes. So if you see someone just join in, give them a little while to see what all the settings are. This way they won't be inducted into your weird, sudden 100 lap race on reverse Sebenco Climb.

As a player:
    * If you're more than 10 levels or so above another player, try not to use the Icaras Fury ship. Sure, at some point, it may not matter what ship you use, but then again, it doesn't matter what ship you use. (Does that make sense?)

* Don't go out of your way to let other players win. I learned this when another player bluntly sent me a message saying "STOP LETTING ME WIN!" I guess the whole thing about underestimating intelligence applies here.

There's prolly tons more, but I gotta get back to the game.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

What about aggressive gameplay? Like waiting til you're right on someone to fire a weapon? Or ramming? I don't ram, but I'd like to be prepared if others do. I do fire weapons typically right up their thrusters if I can. XD

Timezone
    GMT -5

Ramming is ok, I think. I mean, it's part of the ship physics. E.g. if you're in a Triakis and someone's ramming you, they've got something else coming. This is, of course, different from *player-centric* ramming, where you constantly only ram one 'chosen' player due to your displeasure with them outside of the particular race.

Not sure how waiting to fire on someone is in bad taste, either. Unless you're doing it repetitively to a new player whose thrusters aren't that hard to locate, if you catch ma drift.
    Last edited by siriusglee; 11th June 2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: improved grammar, flow.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

Lol. Yeah, my Triakis is hard to steer at times, so ramming isn't intended but still happens. Especially on turns. And the weapon thing is to insure a hit. So it may seem player-centric if you prefer to be in the position right ahead of me. XD Just don't want the wrong idea coming across.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It depends on playing style.
    Ramming on purpose IMHO is not good racing etiquette.
    Weapons are to be used or absorbed, it's part and parcel of the game, I must admit to once or twice with other forum members here, ganging up on particular racers who have been sending rude, boastful, insulting, or sin of sins- accusations of cheating messages after races.

There is an old thread somewhere in the HD section about PITA none zone pilots who send messages after races like that, some funny stuff in it.

Turning around in a race and waiting for the front runner so you can shoot at then is not on, god help anybody I find doing that [I've only had one fool so far], I will make a point of remembering your name, find a room you are in, join, send the game invites out, and then you will know what it is like to get ganged up on by elite zone pilots.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Well, if you're, say, a level 10 player in a Triakis, competing with a level 34 player in an Icaras Fury, then I'd say ramming, even on purpose, is totally acceptable.

Perhaps not the most polite in society, but certainly not objectionable.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    jaminjack

All the new rooms full of beginning racers. I wish you all the best of luck.

To the rest of us. We are going to have to deal with this again. When SONY releases the PS VITA with cross platform play. The rooms will be once again over flowing with new racers.

I am at the point where I'm fairly fast and can fly some perfect laps at Phantom speeds. All while flying internal view.

I never liked the exterior (NO SKILL REQUIRED) flying. Yes you can ram crank your pitch to do barrel rolls easier.

Purposely Ramming is considered by some to be ok. REALLY?

Ramming is NOT allowed in F1, NASCAR, or any other racing body.

HOLD YOUR RACING LINE. Yes there will be bumping and trading paint. That's what happens at 100 mph plus on a tight track.

THAT'S RACING

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by jaminjack View Post
    I never liked the exterior (NO SKILL REQUIRED) flying
    Exterior view for cheaters then ?
    That one is huge !!

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    jaminjack

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    Exterior view for cheaters then ?
    That one is huge !!
    YES

That's the difference between driving a car ( INTERNAL VIEW) and watching a car being driven on television (EXTERNAL VIEW) lol
    Last edited by jaminjack; 11th June 2011 at 07:09 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I use internal view, always have, which make ramming people on purpose pretty much out of the question unless you are constantly watching the proximity alert with the HD HUD, even then it would be a 60% guess.
    It also not the best for doing barrel rolls.
    But it gives me the feeling of really being in a race, where either of the outer views seem to me more like playing with toy cars.

The view you choose to use determines the way you race it seems, probably subconsciously, there's not the same connection as when using internal view.
    Outer view racers don't get the urge to scream out "Hey, you Arsehole, there's somebody in here" like I do when I get slammed [Sebenco's the worse for this, it's like being in a washing machine some times]

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Strangely i find external view more immersive (also third person for action/shooting games). I find first person view in games so close and paradoxally so far of real sensations. I can better identify with an avatar/car/ship i can see (his moves, speed, design), probably because i'm a visual guy !

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

Quote Originally Posted by jaminjack View Post

Ramming is NOT allowed in F1, NASCAR, or any other racing body.
    So they've added machine guns and rockets to F1 recently? XD I never knew it was so similar to Wipeout.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    jaminjack

Sorry
    Last edited by jaminjack; 12th June 2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Read the rules: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/announcement.php?f=18

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

It's cool.