Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Influx of new players....

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Dr-fresh21

Hey wipeoutzone I just though I should make a formal introduction and express my love for the series I played a little on the WO64 and now I can't stop this sport yes I'm am a "welcome back" pilot and need a little Practice on HD just extremely fun to go through and race a new game with some relly genuine pepole. haven't been able to get into any race rooms though online the past few days and that's where it's fustrating but just keep flying high I guess.

Any advice for a newcomer? add me if you can that would be appreciated and one more thing. What team is good to suggest besides the staple feisar.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Eden Priest; 7th June 2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: because i sound like an idiot

Timezone
    GMT -8

Quote Originally Posted by Qgstkpnjtp View Post
    lol, the funny part is that Mario Kart instincts for me = 'if you drop stuff before the line, half your friend roster will delete you'.
    lol completely understandable. I guess I should've noted that I only do that to my close friends playing split-screen. I'd never do that online hahaha.

NX-01: Someone's a dick then. He had a sizable lead and pre-finish-line-bomb'd me. Good to know it's not normal practice.

BulletWraith: The Fury skin is what caught my eye and I'm loving the super shields. You can take a beating and still Barrel Roll your way to victory.

Timezone
    GMT -5

i haven't played wipeout since the original back in dos.
    i was a huge fan of racers back then (whiplash, wipeout, hi-octane) but it died off after
    a while.

i haven't played any other wipeout since, i suppose it's because i wasn't a big console
    gamer. considering i just got a ps3 last summer, i don't have much.

absolutely loving whiplash hd.

i've been going through the HD campaign (then will move on to Fury) and have been doing
    fine against the elite AI..

up until sebenco climb.
    holy. crap.
    i think i spent over an hour playing that one event just to edge first place at the end.

afterward, i decided to search for a video to see how to tackle it and the videos i saw
    blew my mind. i can only wish i can reach that level.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Eden Priest View Post
    Any advice for a newcomer? add me if you can that would be appreciated and one more thing. What team is good to suggest besides the staple feisar.

Thank you for your time.
    The best advice to give is, not even the best pilot in the world can place first every race. So don't ever feel discouraged by not finishing where you expected to.

The best looking team is the one for you! Find a ship that handles nicely for you, and you're set. The other stats don't make too much a difference. Don't expect to take Piranha and beat a Goteki 45 off the starting line or anything, but pilot ability is the key to success.
    Last edited by Frailavi; 7th June 2011 at 06:10 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Dr-fresh21

thanks Frailavi your right it is kind of discouraging the first coulple times but i guess i need more practice and thanks for the ship advice. i have seen alot of pepole go for certian teams but i wanted some more sound advice why a ship is better than " it just is "

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by skunk View Post
    NX-01: Someone's a dick then. He had a sizable lead and pre-finish-line-bomb'd me. Good to know it's not normal practice.
    Lot of fast pilots uses the last item as soon as they hit the pad just in case it's a turbo because fast pilots wants to be...fast, so sometimes it can be bombs or mines, you must always be wary of the last drop even if the leader used to absorb more than dropping during the race

Dropping bombs or mines when you're last with no chance to win a race or a rank, but only to annoy the leaders is a very weak behavior IMO
    Last edited by leungbok; 7th June 2011 at 06:49 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

Quote Originally Posted by Eden Priest View Post
    i wanted some more sound advice why a ship is better than " it just is "
    Try them and find the one that suits you. For example when I started the game I looked at the stats and saw that FEISAR is the slowest with the best handling. It looked like the perfect ship for newcomers and I chose it. But I found myself oversteering and hitting the inside walls in turns. So, after a few races I decided to try a different ship. Assegai seemed very balanced. Good at everything, but best at nothing lol. I played the entire Novice campaign with Assegai, but when I switched to Expert I was having a lot of trouble winning Venom races. So for Venom and Flash I used Icaras. When I got to Rapier I returned to Assegai, but it's weakness showed up. Very low shield... The AI on Expert spams mines, bombs and rockets and after a barrel roll and a rocket I was already low on Health... I decided to try all ships and find the best for me. I made 20 laps on speed lap with every ship on Vineta K, I think. The best time I achieved was with Harimau, but I felt the handling of the heavier Goteki and Qirex better for me. And since I love the looks and color scheme of Goteki, I chose them and even though it's slow I have never regretted this. I sometimes play Harimau, I have 100k loyalty with both, but nothing feels like Goteki for me.
    Just find the ship for your style of play. That's a tip for all newcomers, still searching for a good ship

Default welcome back pilot

hi all i got wipeout as part of the welcome back pack and after being addicted to uncharted 2 for the past year i think ive found a new love!! So glad i picked wipeout, its awesome ive been spending all day in work making a soundtrack to put on later lol Ive decided to run through everything on novice 1st, ive got gold medals for the first 4 stages (well except one race on the 3rd i cant seem to finish better than 3rd!! i played 1 online race and came 1st so i think ill leave off for a while to keep my 100% My fave part has got to be the zone mode with sum trance music its awesome. The only thing im gonna have to research are the controls as i dont think im braking right at all. But anyway just wanted to say hi to the community.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Qgstkpnjtp

Quote Originally Posted by dpmjam2005 View Post
    everything on novice 1st,
    Trust me when I say you'll want to do Elite. It'll save you a lot of time and you'll improve much faster.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

I would say the same...You'll find yourself progressing further as a pilot much faster by kicking the difficulty up to elite right off the bat.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

I do not agree. If you start on elite you might get frustrated a lot. I started at Novice and when I got to elite I had already improved a lot so it wasn't frustrating until the cheating AI on Phantom.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

And turn off Pilot Assist as soon as possible.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Quote Originally Posted by dpmjam2005 View Post
    My fave part has got to be the zone mode
    That's great to hear, Zone's my favourite too mate. I'm expecting to see some new Zone WRs in a few months time, when all the new players such as yourself have had some practice.

Welcome to Wipeout

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Qgstkpnjtp

Quote Originally Posted by Chet_BG View Post
    I do not agree. If you start on elite you might get frustrated a lot.
    That's kind of the point though. This is a difficult game, and you'll only get more frustrated by putting yourself under a false sense of security that you're better than you really are, for the sake of avoiding small amounts of frustration.

Hell, I nearly **** a brick when I was doing the Sol 2 race on Flash in the HD campaign because the AI was being incredibly lame and getting missiles behind, mines ahead and turbos in 1st. All that did though was make it more satisfying when I finally beat it, then won first try in the tournament later on. If you take it as a motivator (since, after all, it's the best the game can throw at you) instead of the game hating you, it just makes victory all the sweeter.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

If you play the same race 100 times you'll eventually win. It will be sweet, but most probably it will be luck and it'll take 100 more races to do it again. If you're not in a hurry for a Platinum or something I don't understand why you would jump straight to Elite. I prefer to take my time and slowly learn the game. I'm not lying myself that I'm a god for beating the game on Novice. I know that there are two more difficulties after that.
    Everyone has his own way I guess. When I started playing Pulse, I started on Elite, but I already had experience in HD/Fury. For someone absolutely new in this type of game, I think Novice is a must.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

I did some of both campaigns on Novice, but then went back and did them all on Skilled, then left it for a bit and did them all on Elite. The gradual progression that you make elsewhere in the game (online, racebox) makes it much easier when you step up the difficulty settings.

I have some sort of OCD when it comes to things like this anyway, I much prefer the feeling of gradual improvement than trying to nail something first time.

Smile

Hi guys,

Another new pilot here! Just picked up Wipeout HD as part of the welcome back package. It has really renewed my love of Wipeout, especially the online play, so much fun. I have managed to work my way up to rank 19 since Saturday, but can only really play Venom and Flash class at the moment, could probably just about hold my own on Rapier, bit currently Phantom is way out of my league.

Have had some epic races online so far though, and most people seem to be really good sports, and the community in general seems to be a fun place to be!

Looking forward to racing you guys online!

Timezone
    GMT -8

Ok..I have read alot of posts in this topic from veterans of the game and how a newbie should start. I would love to do the campaign on novice then skilled and so forth as suggested something does not compute..

Every Speed is different (venom-phantom) so different that alot of corners are different everytime you switch the speed level. So in theory you would have to learn a track in 4 different speeds...am I correct?

Now after getting playing SL in phantom mode for a while all the other speeds feel...well slow mode and way easier for some reason.

So lets say I learn every track perfectly from venom-rapier, once I hit phantom my nickname is "hit wall very hard" because the speed and techniques applied at this speed is vastly different. For instance HellFire's fantastic tutorial really only applies to phantom speeds, so it is very confusing when trying to learn every track.

Watching other pros play this game is a sight to behold, its like a gorgeous painting. How and when am I supposed to compete with this. 3 years from now lol (this game came out in 08, everyone juping on board now is late). I wish there was a definitive way, a 1 2 3 a progress to this game. In order to get that potential out of the gamer.

Anyways I will keep on trying because this game is amazing.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

There is a 1 2 3 step progress:
    1. Practice
    2. More practice
    3. Even more practice
    I cannot play Phantom. Well I can but I am not good at all. My class is Rapier. I am not as good as many of the people here, but I think I'm doing alright. The more I play, the better I become. And I can see that by the times I have in speed lap and time trial.
    Just play the game and learn the tracks themselves, not so much what is the exact moment to steer and brake. Once you get used to the physics and your ship's handling you'll have much easier time in the corners on the different speed classes.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Lets just put it this way, If you want your level of play to skyrocket in a short amount of time then u start out at elite or learn to fly at speeds youre not comfortable at faster... I am walking proof of this.