Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Influx of new players....

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Default Influx of new players....

With this influx of fresh faced pilots coming to this game soon, I fully expect there be a ton of tom foolery in online races. (People flying backwards etc) But I also expect there to be some pilots who are going to take to it and love the game and try to get better. I know this for a fact because I have quite a few friends who Ive played other games with and theyre always good at them and they'll be getting wipeout soon for their free game. Now to my point, Should we pound these players incessantly or should we kinda try and take the challenge to only use weapons as we have to... I remember my first online races... mines... mines....bombs, bombs. I think it could easily run off some players from this game b4 they get grasp enough of the concepts needed for efficient piloting. I also fully expect a lot of people here to accused of cheating. LOL.
    But anyways if any newer people to this game are reading this and have been lucky enough to find this community,welcome Wipeoutzone, theres a wealth of knowledge about this game to be found here all you have to do is read. If the game feels totally foreign to you and feels weird, don't worry thats normal it takes time, but once you really start to see yourself improve its highly rewarding...

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

Well, I don't think they will get slown down by me, mostly I'm too kind in using any weapons. Too bad I get my ass handed to me after some mayhem races! :d I'd say keep it weps off...but yeah then half the room leaves whaha. Anyways, I wouldn't be too concerned about that sort of thing. If there are really going to be a lot of new players, there will also be a lot of online rooms, so for every player a suited room. It'll work out just fine cya on trackzzz

Red face The Co-Operative Racing Initiative

I was going to start a post about my overall thoughts about what should be done, but I don't want to clutter the whole place with dupe threads or what the mods might think qualifies as a dupe thread.

But here's my thought: rather than demonise and complain about these newcomers, and god knows I know a lot of you will - you'll complain about anything that wasn't Wip3out - why not go talent-hunting?

If we want this community to keep going into 2048 with the same strength, we need more pilots of good quality to join us, and the only way we can be sure of nurturing and growing talent is to take in apprentice Wipers. After all, what good is a talent if you can't share it with someone?

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to settle down at some point and start doing a lot of races, a lot of hard starts and battles to see which of the newcomers have the dedication to keep staying, to keep fighting. I'm not looking exactly for raw talent (I never had speed when I started after all) but I'm looking for people who want to become better. Invite them to join the WOZ forums, chat to them via notes and chat rooms, and do some private room events. Bring them up, and maybe we could have a couple of races between masters and apprentices.

What do you guys think? Anyone else with me on this venture?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Challenger , Im with you 1000%. This is wat I was wantin to get at in this thread...

Timezone
    GMT -5

I would if I could get online on WipEout. Then the few times I got online I was excited to see a whole bunch of rooms. Too bad I can't join any of them without some ridiculous error. :C

Worst part is I don't know if it's the PSN being bogged down or if it's my connection. Both have been suspect all day.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Im gonna put wipeoutzone.com as my comment maybe some peeps will see it and drop by...
    Last edited by greenymac; 3rd June 2011 at 09:26 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

this could be the beginning of a golden era for our beloved game.
    40+ online rooms atm
    let's see what happens until next week is over

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Just had a look and Wow! I hope a lot of people are going to see what they have been missing the last two and a half years.

I've had to filter the list for phantom rooms for the first time ever

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

hehe !

PSN ID
    Aeralys

lmfao @ the online lobby. First time I've had to use the filter!

Merry Christmas racers?

ion harvest is offline Banned for sending profane and abusive PM's Rapier Pilot
    PSN ID
    ion_harvest

Wahahahaa noob hunting season NOW OPEN.

Jokes.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

YAY i have now officially got wipeout HD/Fury

PSN ID
    Reezellthia

Online is rocking

I actually don't mind this influx, though it is a bit boring when the newbies start spawning in the middle of the track right in front of me or using weapon after weapon.

There was this time where I got eliminated 3 times in a row by level 2 players in a normal race because one after the other rammed into me and sent quakes everywhere and every time.
    Last edited by Xpand; 4th June 2011 at 11:55 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It's raining newbies, it's HUGE!!
    50 rooms open.
    There's never been a better chance to get your "Comeback king" badge if you haven't got it already.

It's a bit dull thrashing people even after giving them 10+ sec start.
    I've just been in a 10 race tourny doing that, the bloke who kept coming second cottoned on that I was sitting on the grid giving them a start, so he waited till I took off, must of got the shits because he quit the rest of the tourny, which was a pity.

Best thing you can do guys is throw a few races so the new pilots don't get disenchanted and throw in the towel early, that's if we want to keep these players active in the long run

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Yeah! Online is full to the seams. We should embrace this guys, not fear it. Many of the new players will quit after a couple of days, but a number of them will go on to become valued members of our community. Wipeout HD's never been so popular, it's a very exciting time

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I inherited a hosting position, Leungbok and greenymac joined the room and there were 5 newbies.
    Rapier-pilot assist off-Sebenco reverse- new world record broken - most times Contender Eliminated was heard in one race, no kidding it must of gone off at least 40 times
    I was crashing into the side walls I was laughing that much.
    Funniest race I've ever been in, I think some of these newbies are using their feet instead of their hands on the controllers.

Only problem with all this activity is that I'm suffering terrible lag, still having some fun though.

I think nows a good time to start playing about with other ships and game modes to even it up. i might find a new ship i like

did a 20 lap race in pihrana a HD, with a 15 second lead every one else quit by the 8th lap Mwhahahahhah
    Last edited by Nutcase:259; 4th June 2011 at 01:57 PM.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Just counted, 52 rooms. What's the highest you guys have seen? (This will only go up, in a months time it will be in the hundreds I reckon)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It will be interesting to see what it gets up to.
    It's as big as I've ever seen it, and I've been on it since day one, I'd say very similar to the first weekend of HD's release, the only difference being far more US players this time around, I suppose that's because wipeout has always been the most popular in Europe.
    It's certainly bigger than when HD/FURY was given out in the PLUS+ subscription give away.
    Don't forget that if a room has 8 players in it it disappears off the board until the game is over, plus games that don't show up if it's a friends only room.

It's brought a lot of people back that have had the game since release date 2008 but never got into it which I find interesting, I suppose they lost interest because they didn't improve, but now so many are totally new to HD/FURY they feel that they won't embarrass themselves.