Thread: Problem adding funds to wallet on PS4 since system update

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Default Problem adding funds to wallet on PS4 since system update

This is really annoying, and currently only seems to be happening on the PS4 since a system update, and the newly added function of when trying to purchase a game from the PStore with insufficient funds in your wallet, it will now allow auto deduction of funds to make up the difference using your selected payment type, be that CC or PayPal.

Please read on, as I'd like if somebody can check for me if the same thing is happening on their PS4, or it's just some sort of Sony F-Up for we in Aus/NZ

I usually fill my PS wallet to the MAX of AUS $250 at a time, and run it down till I have insufficient funds to buy what I want, then top it back up to $250 again.

The reason I do that is because we in AUS/NZ have to use the UK PStore to purchase from, if I top up in one large amount it saves on being totally being ripped off by bank transfer/exchange fees, as although the price for the games might appear in AUS $ at our end, adding funds to the wallet requires debit from my credit card to the PStore in UK £'s, and that attracts a flat money exchange fee from my bank of an additional $5 dollars every time I top up, regardless of the amount.

It used to be that when going to add funds to my wallet, the remaining amount in my wallet will be showing on the top right hand corner, and when going to options on how much I wanted to add to my wallet, it would show increments of $10/$50/$100 and lastly $250, this last option use to automatically deduct the amount still in your wallet and show the difference between it and $250 and add that amount instead.

Now it doesn't, it just shows $250 and doesn't deduct what's already in your wallet, and since you can't have more than $250 in your wallet at any one time, it's a catch 22 situation, I can only add funds smaller than that, which is costing me $5 every time.

To add insult to injury, after trying this several times [I kept getting CC details are wrong notices etc, even though they weren't, so deleted CC details and put them in again] I deduced it might be a PS4 system software problem since the last update, so turned on my PS3 and tried adding funds on that.

Low and behold when I went to top it up to $250, it did deduct what was in the wallet to the correct difference, and the option now showed to top up to that amount, but it still wouldn't let me to proceed with the transaction.

Little did I know that my Bank detected that someone was trying to do this [ME], so blocked my credit Card thinking something nefarious was going on.

I got a Text message from my bank alerting me and asking for conformation, which I did, but ATM at least, I still can't add any more funds to my wallet.

I'll be buggered if I'll pay double bank transfer fees because of Sony's stupidity, it's not the money so much, it's just that I HATE BANKS and pride myself on paying as little fees as possible to the A-Holes.

So could somebody have a look to see if the same situation exists for them if they already have funds in their wallet, then go to see what option shows when you select to top up their wallet to the max.
    Is it deducting the difference? or Showing the Max allowed only?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

i cannot help you with any useful information, but why don't you use prepaid cards for PSN? that's what i do for all things Internet wise...never had any problem and my credit card information cannot be stolen this way

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I could buy prepaid cards, but the stupid thing is the largest amount for sale here in Aus is $50, so just to buy a preorder version of 'Days Gone' which is Aus $99 or $114 for the deluxe version, means I would have to by at least two just to pay for one game. and once I used them my wallet would then again be pretty much empty, plus I would be charged GST/VAT on each of those purchases.

I shouldn't have to go through such a protracted procedure just to add funds to my wallet

I tried again to top up via my PS3 but then received a error code, which once I looked up what that error code donated, found out that my account had been frozen for 48 hours, as it deemed my failed attempts to top up my account a attempted hack or something similar.
    The thing is I don't know when that 48 hour period started, when I last tried to add funds? or when my Bank sent me a text asking if it was actually me trying do the transaction?
    I'm worried if I try add funds again while the block is still active, it might prolong that to another 48 hours.

It could all be sorted quite easily if Sony fixed the none detection of current wallet amount from the MAX available top-up amount, which is how it was, and how it still appears on the PS3 when trying to do the same.

I'm in Aus, and the PStore we used is in the UK, it's bad enough trying to get hold of somebody from Sony here in Aus for support, you can imagine what chance I have of getting somebody from Sony UK to sort the problem out.

I posted at the UK Sony Playstation forums about the problem, hoping somebody that was actually from Sony would read and act on it, but my thread got overrun by other forum members from all over Europe that just can't comprehend just what the problem is, so I've given up as that as a avenue of getting the problem fixed.

This not exactly the way I would have wanted to celebrate my 4000th forum post
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 19th April 2019 at 08:47 AM.