Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WipEout 2D - A Fangame Proof of Concept

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Implementing new ships would be easy enough, but adding online isn't something I'd plan on doing. I know Game Maker is capable of it, but it seems like a lot of trouble to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    Finding lap position depends on how the track and AI is constructed. If you can explain how its built I might be able to provide a method.
    The track is built entirely out of objects, with the AI ships randomly switching from a number of set paths at certain points based on a dice roll to give the impression of more human racers. So the AI are really only objects set to follow a path and move out of the way of each other.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Thumbs up

Well, I havent tried on Linux yet (my laptop got bricked) but, I did play on Windows and its awesome! Reminds me a lot of the HOME game. Very, very cool, Amorbis.

Any chance of seeing AG's beuty grace your game??

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Amorbis, Do you plan on adding modes like Zone, And do you plan on adding weapons and a medal system, And i'd like to see some Skins of the AG crafts being added?

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I don't plan on adding any more modes, I'd hoped to keep it a bit more simple. Weapons are a funny one because I would have to add damage and ship health, as well as the weapon pads, if I was doing this as a full time project I would probably add them.

I could always add the missing 4 ships, but not ship skins. Game Maker does allow for players to import images into games so I could always do a custom ship and provide a template for it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Germanistgeek22

what's the name of the game engine you used for this game ? i want to make the ame game but with different tracks and ships from pulse.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

You can get Game Maker here: http://www.yoyogames.com/make

If you're using Game Maker you can use this:
    http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=462811

I based the physics on that, but I had to make some big changes to get the floatiness I wanted for the ships. So you will have to make the changes to get it to feel like Pulse.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Germanistgeek22

Oh, an another question : Where did you find your sprites ? I can't find any WippEout ship sprite.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I made all the sprites and graphics myself!

If you have the patience you could always use Pulse's photo mode on the PSP to take a picture of the ship from the top and cut around it in Paint or Photoshop if you have it.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Thumbs up My feedback and suggestions

I don't like the current control scheme. I am used to using the WASD keys like in First Person shooters, and I really do think that it is more natural to me to use those instead of the arrow keys. Can you please add support for those keys, or better yet allow for custom control schemes?

Another cool idea of mine: Steering with the mouse! This would allow you to emulate analogue control. In addition, it would feel right, as you would always be steering in the direction you were pointing in. Admittedly, some ships will still take longer to steer than others, but just think about it! You certainly won't oversteer as often in a FEISAR.
    Some people have objections to this idea, but my idea is actually very simple, you make the game think the mouse is an analogue stick.

Also, Airbrakes and Side-Shifts would be very nice, as well as two different camera options: One where it is aligned to the track (as it currently is) and one where it rotates so that your ship is always facing up. This would be really great for those using keyboard controls. And the physics system is horrible, you should make it more like WipEout Fusion's physics (instead of stopping completely when you hit a wall, you just slow down, and you will be steered slighly by the collision to make it easier to get away from said wall).

Finally, the menu and HUD could use an awful lot of work. You should get Xpand to help you with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    If you have the patience you could always use Pulse's photo mode on the PSP to take a picture of the ship from the top and cut around it in Paint or Photoshop if you have it.
    I use Paint.NET, which is VERY good software. You shoud try it. And if you can get a copy, try Adobe Illustrator as well (just remember to save it as a .png or .tga file). If you can't afford Illustrator, I might be able to send you a copy through email. Send me a private message for the details.
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 14th May 2012 at 12:27 AM.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Thanks for the feedback Amaroq, I replied to your Youtube comment on the video as well. You make good points but I did stop working on this to focus on University projects instead. I did plan on adding all of the usual WipEout features, such as airbrakes and weapons, but stopped working on it before then. I doubt I'll ever start it up again sadly as other things currently have my attention.

In the mean time everyone can play play what the game does have, or look forward to the other fan game here on WOZ, which is looking quite good.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Why don't you join the Slipstream GX team for the time being? Not sure what you could contribute, but I am sure you will think of something.

I also hope your University projects go well. Do any of them involve DigiPen, by chance?

PSN ID
    Amorbis

The Slipstream team seem capable enough without me, I'm sure they don't need another designer or 3D modeller. Having too many could complicate things a bit.

My University doesn't do anything Digipen, they run a course they have written themselves.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Oh well. It would still be nice to have another programmer around.

I did however find someone who uses Gamemaker who might want to continue your work in the near future (once they finish their own project).

Edit: Here is an unofficial Fan-Fiction/Roleplay thread: FlaT'out\

And if you ever restart your project, since the camera doesn't rotate with the ship, you should change the controls to this [you can reconfigure them to your personal preferences]
    [W / UP_ARROW] - Steer North
    [A / LEFT_ARROW] - Steer West
    [S / DOWN_ARROW] - Steer South
    [D / RIGHT_ARROW] - Steer East
    [SHIFT] - Accelerate
    [SPACE] - Airbrakes
    [E] - Fire Weapon
    [Q] - Absorb Weapon
    [ESC] - Pause
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 11th October 2012 at 11:55 PM.