Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WipEout 2D - A Fangame Proof of Concept

Good update!

Suggestions:

Make the tracks bigger- perhaps its me and my keyboard skills but the corners are too sharp, and its too easy to oversteer. If you scaled up the tracks the corners may become smoother (and easier to steer around).

Custom soundtrack

If you do the first suggestion, up the AI numbers to 8 or 12- with weapons!

But it is shaping up well!

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Thanks for the input Rotational_Aspect. I could make some changes to the tracks, making some of the thin areas wider, but I was planning on including some different speed settings to that issue may resolve itself eventually. Adding extra AI might be a problem due to the track layouts and having too many ships on the track. I could add 8 ships but it would probably cause problems with the paths the AI take and when they collide.

There is a custom soundtrack already implemented, though it's a bit confusing. You need to add MP3s renamed "music1.mp3", "music2.mp3" etc. to the same file as the game and it should work.

I've also uploaded a video of a slightly newer version of the game here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xOJiyhBpJs

You can watch the video if you don't want to download the game.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Sorry for the bump/double post, but I have a more recent version of the game to share. I'm not sure what I should do about the name of the game. I can keep it the same and cause confusion with the existing Home game, or change it to something silly like a date.

Download by clicking here.

Change log as of 13/07/2011:

• Added speed classes, including Vector, Venom, Rapier and Phantom
    • Made changes to track 2 to widen the track
    • Adjusted the stats of Auricom for game balance
    • Changed game logo and loading screen

Watch gameplay footage of the game here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xOJiyhBpJs

Nice to see the project progressing!

Crits:

I dont like the new splash screen. Its a shame you can't take the ascii text and use that as an influence on the overall style of the ui- perhaps take some inspiration from a DR webpage http://www.pho-ku.com/ that always gives me ideas (hover your mouse cursor over the options for a laugh!). Or if you can't decide, somehow get it to shuffle splash screens.

Names? How about (off the top of my head) Wipeout Elevation, Wipeout Pixel, Wipeout Arial (the little mermaids going to die?), µWipeout (since your game is tiny 2mb, thus micro µ), Wipeout Retro, Wipeout C64 (make the people who use the Wipeout64 forum do a double take!), Wipeout Raster (as in rasterisation), Wipeout GM (should please the GameMaker crowd).

I still think you should try to make the buildings 3D, or at least have another layer above the ships in parallax to give an impression of depth (look at the original GTA on the PC as a guide). At the minute it still looks a bit flat.

If you can, try to get the timer to show a float value (as with most on-screen timers) rather than integers. Having only seconds looks a bit 'odd'.

Hope this is of some help!

PSN ID
    Amorbis

The home screen is streamlined as I keep adding to it without really thinking about where things should go. The Designer's Republic is always an influence on anything WipEout, the only thing is that most of their stuff isn't exactly designed with user friendliness in mind, which I feel is important for a game. I'll still make use of their design ideas though as they are some of the best and form the basis of WipEout's style.

The issue I have with 3D buildings is performance. It might run fine on time trial with a decent PC, but on a laptop it doesn't run very well if I have 3D and the other craft switched on. I am adding to the environment though, such as with the parallax sky and clouds, maybe parallax buildings too.

As ever I appreciate the input. I'll see what I can do about the timer, I was going to add a speedometer as well. I'll see if I can get it to work properly.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Because this is a computer game, you need to make your game have customizable settings. Wipeout games, being on consoles, don't have to worry about random graphics cards, processors, or memory. You do. Some people want 3D, but on some computers it runs too slow. The solution is to program both 3D and 2D graphics and allow them to be toggled from an options menu.
    I've done that in my racing game, which has reached alpha. For speed considerations you should also be able to toggle the background effects. Some PC gamers are also biased when it comes to full-screen/windowed and the having their computer monitor resolution changed.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

This is cool, reminds me of the old Starwars Podracer Gameboy color game!
    But i have encountered a glitch with the custom music, When i name them music1 music2 and music3, Music2 plays first instead.
    But i was wondering would you like me to do some weapon and speed pad tiles for you, if so what size should the tiles be?
    Last edited by jesse9705; 5th November 2011 at 02:27 AM. Reason: I forgot some stuff

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

WipEout SD

Also these:

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Amorbis is secretly Zico Liu.

Seriously, good job on this. Very impressive stuff.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Thanks for the interest everyone, I hadn't really been keeping up with my own thread, I haven't touched this for a long time as I'm busy at University.

This isn't an open project so I'm not taking any work off anyone. Thanks for the offer anyway Jesse, you can have a look at the other project going on here if you haven't already.

The side on ships are good, but they aren't the Wip3out designs so wouldn't really fit in. I could see using a side on view for ship selection maybe.

I'm not Zico, but perhaps I could set some times for you all to beat in 5 minutes.

After digging through some files I've found a later unreleased version for you to look at.

Changes as of November-December 2011:

• Menu System
    • Ship menu
    • Options menu
    • Speed choice in options menu
    • Turn Ai on/off
    • Other small tweaks

Download here: WipEout 2D v5
    Last edited by Amorbis; 13th December 2011 at 12:28 PM.

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Send me some screens of the ships (sides preferably lol) and i'll get to work!

PSN ID
    Amorbis

As I said in my previous post it isn't really an open project, but thanks for the interest.

I'm not really looking to add anything else to the game as it is. As a fan game I'm limited to what already exists within WipEout so if I was to take this game one step further it would be as my own game i.e. with my own team and track designs. That way I can have infinite creativity over my own project.

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Timezone
    GMT -5

Well You Dont Exactly Have To Make it an open project.... we would just love to see what we could do with the Extraordinary Program you have already created so far. if you still didnt want to do this... I have Few Suggestions if you want...

The lap times is basically multiplied by four. so One Second = 4 Seconds... which either the game is laggy due to my computers performance... or just how the Timer is set.

Positions are non existent now I know from looking at the Let's Make A Wipeout Game! Thread that, that isn't easy as said.

The Looping Airship sound isn't linked to a ship on the command of Acceleration. so it is constantly playing without any sort of movement... ( With and Without AI)

I Know this is game is far beyond my capabilities... so i don't know how hard is actually is to create this.... I'd Like to say... BRAVO.... I love it...

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I appreciate the praise! However the game can't be perfect.

The timer works fine if the game is running at full speed. I don't have any lower-end hardware to test the game on so some things go unnoticed.

Positions are something I've tried to do a few times. My attempt at it failed and I couldn't find a definitive answer on how to do it from any other Game Maker users. It seems to be one of the shortfalls of the program.

I did redo some of the graphics, but I can't really set on a style...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Cool

Will this run on a Linux OS?? I am running OpenSuse.

Looks awesome, btw

PSN ID
    Amorbis

If you use Wine it should run, but I haven't tested it personally. Game Maker doesn't let you export the game as anything other than a Windows .exe file.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Arrow

Cool, Amorbis.Ill give it a go

Timezone
    GMT -6

Finding lap position depends on how the track and AI is constructed. If you can explain how its built I might be able to provide a method.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Man i really like this game, It'd be fun racing online in 2D, I'd like to see some additional ships though, And a few more tracks