Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WipEout 2D - A Fangame Proof of Concept

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Default WipEout 2D - A Fangame Proof of Concept - Now on V2!

WipEout 2D is a fangame I have been working on by myself for a short while using Game Maker, a simple game making program.

Aside from the physics and graphics scaling, which have been adapted from Game Maker Community resources, the game has been made from scratch. The sprites and track environment have been drawn by me using Photoshop and MS Paint.

I'm releasing the current version of WipEout 2D to the WipEout Zone community for feedback and testing. I know there is another fangame project going on at the moment, I don't want to interfere with it so I'll try my best to keep this one separate to avoid confusion. If you find anything wrong with the game or have any suggestions, then please let me know.

Instructions on how to play the game can be found on the menu screen when you press F1. To download the game click the download link below.

Download - Revision 1

For latest version and change log click here.

Also thanks to the WOZ community for the sound effect files and fonts that I've borrowed from the download section, they've been useful!

If the image is too large or this thread is in the wrong forum area then feel free to change it.
    Last edited by Amorbis; 13th December 2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: New game version.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I really like it. A few things from first impressions:

1. I tried Piranha on track 1 and it made a 'clunk' sound when I hit walls. I then tried G-45 on track 4 and there was no clunk sound, but I was still hitting walls (lots).

2. A countdown seems to be absent when starting a race.

3. A 'Quit' button from the menu would be good.

4. The track checking pattern moves around in a way that I imagine would be uneasy on the eye after a little while.

5. F11 doesn't bring up any help menu or anything for me.

I think it's really cool in all and as soon as I started it I imagined people would even be competing for top times on it if you can make it bring up their time at the end and then go to the menu on a button click.

I think there's plenty more that can be done with it but am not sure how much more you want to do with it so won't throw a million suggestions at you at once.

Anyway, good job.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Thanks for the feedback Saturn!

The clunk noises should be easy to fix, I'll have to go and look at the collision detection on the other ships. Same for F11 and the quit button.

I used a checkered pattern for the track to improve the sense of motion, so that it looks like your moving quicker. I'll try a texture or something similar to be easier on the eye. I missed out on some of the obvious things like a countdown so that I could make it public a bit sooner.

I forgot to mention, how was the performance of the game? I have it running at around 40 to 60fps average on my mid range computer, so it might run worse on different machines.

Edit: Turns out the instructions button is set to F1 for some reason, silly me.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

No idea about performance, but it ran perfectly smooth on my laptop - Sony e series with intel i5and 1GB ATI Radeon graphics. I guess it shouldn't have any problems with that.

I tried FEISAR on track 4 and it wasn't making the collision sound either, so it may be the track rather than the ships.

My Win 7 64bit machine doesnt like your .exe, which is a shame, I was looking forward to playig this!

I did like the retro ASCII Wipeout 2D splash though- might have to use somethign similar in my game.....

PSN ID
    Amorbis

That's odd, I'm currently using Windows 7 64-Bit. Have you tried running it in any compatibility modes? Or in administrator mode? It's something I might have to look into otherwise, but it might be a problem with the game making software and not the game itself.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Mine is Windows7 65-Bit too and no problems here.

No issues here on XP, and good grief, this is good. Well done Amorbis, this is good fun. A+

OK, got it working. It was me being a bit of a divvy actually. What I was doing was selecting the track directly, so that it only loaded the track (and no ship!).

I like it! Have you thought of doing different graphical styles, for exmple 2D ASCII, Vector (pun fully intended!) graphics or chunky 8 bit goodness? I would frankly wet my pants right now if you intergrated some Designers Republic typography into your project.

Other than doing my 3d racing game (on 'Lets make a wipeout game for real' thread) I always wanted to do a 2d game or fan edit F-Zero into Wipeout. I bet Nintendo would probrably sonic boom my nuts though! I'm surprised how any WO projects exist now that Sony are on the offensive over IP after the PS3 was hacked.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Its good! i tried it out on my new pc and it worked a treat!
    The only bad thing i found was when you crash head on into the side, you cant move... it would be good if you could turn when the ship is stationary.
    Its a million times better than anything i could make so i cant really moan lol.
    Great job

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Rotational_aspect I like the idea of multiple styles but it may be difficult to implement, mainly because I'm not a great pixel artist... But I can look into increasing the DR influence though as I'm a huge fan of what they did in Wip3out especially.

I probably shouldn't be getting as much praise as they physics engine is not my work, but is a modified version of a car physics engine that is available on the Gamer Maker forum. I did have to tweak it a lot for the floaty feeling of an AG-Ship, but as you've pointed out MegaGeeza, you can't move while sitting still very easily.

I'll look into making an error message when you don't choose a ship and then do something about sitting still.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Sorry for the double post, but I have made some progress with implementing the things that you have all suggested.

Change log as of 03/04/2011:

• Quit button on the menu screen
    • Help menu should now appear when you press F1
    • You can no longer choose a track before a ship
    • Menu screen has sound effects
    • Curly now appears at the start of a time trial to countdown
    • Ships can now move when still by pressing left or right
    • Your final time displays at the end in a pop-up
    • Custom soundtracks - you can place up to 4 MP3 files named 'music1.mp3', 'music2.mp3' etc in the same folder as WipEout 2D

Download the new version here: WipEout 2D V2.

I'm still looking for feedback, so feel free to contribute your thoughts and errors you may find. I've found some Wip3out track layouts here on WOZ so if I have the time I'll start to add those tracks into the game.

Also I remember there being a GIF animation of Curly doing her countdown floating around the Zone and the internet. I've found one on DeviantArt but it isn't a direct rip and is on a billboard, plus it isn't mine anyway. If anyone has the one I'm thinking of then I would appreciate it!
    Last edited by Amorbis; 3rd April 2011 at 02:19 PM.

Much more polished! I didnt manage to break it this time.

The only thing now is to keep on going and add as much WO goodness as you can, like powerups, sideshift etc, as well as some AI chums to play with.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

The custom music suddenly blasting at the menu was a bit...shocking.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I gave your game a shot. Not optimized. Seeing you are using someone else's engine and just doing a proof of concept, I can understand that.

I've been programming Game Maker for 5 years. Been working on a commercial racing game for almost 4 years now. If you need any help let me know. But you need to decide your priorities before optimization (it could drastically affect your AI, like in my game).

Question: is the game running in d3d mode, or are you just using a parallax scrolling system?

PSN ID
    Amorbis

It isn't using D3D mode, but scaling to give the impression of a 3D wall. I'm not sure how far I'm going to take this project, especially with implementation of AI and other modes. Really it was more of a demo of what a WipEout game could be like as a top down PC game.

I'm not that great at using Game Maker, so I've been looking at the Game Maker forums for tips on how to do stuff. I certainly wouldn't be able to make a commerical wuality game.

Why not transfer to Blender? Most of the hard stuff has been done in the other game thread (AI, weapons, controls), its just the graphics that need doing (they would be 3d but top down).

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Since my exams have ended this year I have decided to bring this project back from the dead. The latest release doesn't have any new tracks or ships, but does feature some basic AI ships and some small changes to the handling of the player ships.

Download here.

Change log as of 03/07/2011:

• Added opponent AI
    • Opponents can be switched off on the home menu
    • Handling for FEISAR and Goteki45 has been modified
    • Tracks 3 and 4 now feature scenery
    • 3D wall effect has been removed for performance reasons

As usual you can leave any feedback, suggestions or bugs/weird things that you've found in the game.

That's pretty cool! Is this inspired by the PlayStation Home WipEout 2D?

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I've only ever played the 2D game in Home once when it was first available, so there isn't really any inspiration from it. I think my game is more about what WipEout would be as 2D game from the ground-up, but I can see how the two games are similar.