Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't connect??

PSN ID
    jesse9705

well, their is too much speculation, sony is a large corporation and will deny and fault on their behalf, and the hacker's will deny it as well so you can't believe either side's so we might as well just let them work it out only time will tell

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Be that as it may, I'm getting a new credit card just the same.

It's all about trust. There are very few places on the internet I trust to keep my primary email address and even fewer I let keep my credit card number. PSN was one of those places.

And quite frankly, if Sony exposed their entire PSN infrastructure to be raped by that bunch of Anon/OtherOS retards they don't deserve my business anymore. They are simply not fit to be allowed to handle money on my behalf. Did you see that logfile? Amateur hour. FFS...

I can now look forward to even more spam, and if I'm really lucky my account details was already sold on and abused.

Shame really, I liked the PS Store, but from now on my games will come from a disc, bought in the local game store.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

One of the reasons I mentioned I pulled out of the cup was because I was concerned about PSN security and didn't want to log onto the network. Shame that wasn't enough and every single user's data has been stolen.

I'm just glad the information for the CC# I used has expired. I used an email account I try to only use on "secure" sites and stuff, and didn't get any spam; now that may change... this is a colossal failure on Sony's part, and if CC details have been compromised, I totally feel it'd be okay if the company got sued into oblivion right now for this.

Some mild entertainment is not worth this hassle. Pathetic security.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    icarasDragon

This is why my family always used vouchers, in case of this exact event. To be brutally honest Sony never looked at the possibility that the piss-poor security of the PSN would be breached. Even if its going to take ages i'm glad they are rebuilding the PSN and it's security measures. Hopefully we can secure our money, let the Sony code monkeys do their work and we can be assured it won't happen again. I just hope Sony knows what they are doing and don't come out with malware-anti virus levels of security!

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Just wait till we will get a full story but, Sony is in serious jeopardy of their Network due their serious potential customers, which they don`t want to lose...

You know, this is not a good business but Sony is the blame to themselves!

You know what my wife just told me the now and I advise all you guys and gals to to change all your passwords through all your personals stuff, just to be on a safe side.

After all this happening, I will never use PSN again to their **** ups!, thank you hackers, you just made my day!

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -5

On a serious note, there's a lot of bullshit arising from this. From users to competitors alike. I heard Microsoft unbanned every Xbox ever banned from Xbox Live. Sony is going to have a hard time coming back from this one.

And to think all they had to do with encrypt user information... something so small.

Edit:
    http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/upl...-psnhacked.jpg
    Oh man they keep popping up, I can't stop laughing.
    Last edited by Frailavi; 27th April 2011 at 09:19 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    icarasDragon

The PSN will still be safe to use, just don't use cc numbers, switch to PSN Cards, change your password and see if your email account has a spam filter and encryption... things and use them! That's what they are for! And if you need to make a new account and change your credit cards. A good time to change your online prescence from a crappy name, just like I did.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

urgghhhh im sick of this im going too complain too sony now, and if they don't give me answer's ill urgghhh....

PSN ID
    MENGKESHI

Bleeeeeeeeugh, I have just seen "Anonymous" video statement denying the attacks. What a "laughing-man" wannabe cringeworthy EMBARRASSMENT!! lol PS Thanks for wasting my morning with bank visits, little script-kiddies!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by icarasDragon View Post
    A good time to change your online prescence from a crappy name, just like I did.
    Wise thing to do, i thought about changing "leungbok" into BADTESTERZ (like my Youtube account) since months, it's the good timing to do it !

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

To the people raging at Anonymous:
    Firstly, Anonymous is a largely unorganised group of individuals with no relation to each other. There are people who are just there for lols, people who want to change things, and they all have varying degrees of ability to succeed in either category. Hacking a company like HBGary (a security firm) was by no means a job done by "script kiddies". That means some people in Anonymous are not retarded, and I don't think anyone calling them as such will bother them. However, it kind of is funny that someone in the group decided to release a statement saying it wasn't them. There's no way for them to know that, and as of right now, to most people, the hacker truly is anonymous - including to them.

Secondly, the biggest problem in this circumstance is Sony's grossly incompetent security measures. Accounts indicate that all user data was provided in plain text and freely available on the dev section of the PSN, which itself should not be part of the the user PSN at all. Blaming any hacker(s) for compromising user data forgets that Sony has a duty to care for the user data provided to them for a service. There's always a risk of being compromised, and Sony did not do enough to protect users. There are simple measures that could have been taken to prevent this from happening, and there are so many of these measures that have just been entirely discarded in the creation of the PSN it truly beggars belief.

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

New username for me then....

hey, I wonder how long its been going on before they realised and shut it down?
    there statement says "when we learned of an external intrusion"

it could have been happening long before they "learned" of it

also, how can you change your usernames? you need to be online in order to do that
    Last edited by Nutcase:259; 27th April 2011 at 12:26 PM.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Why are people changing there usernames and cancelling their cards???
    Just tell your bank not to pay out to anyone that your not already paying out too and to contact you personally if an irregularity happens... and if we do get spam emails just ignore them just like every other spam email.
    Whats next? you all going to change your home address?
    It all seems a bit too extreme...

PSN ID
    MENGKESHI

@amplificated

Personally I disagree. Sony's security shortcomings are a problem but the main problem is the selfish losers who decided to put 70million+ people out in order to boost their own egos.

EDIT: Regarding their competence, fair enough I'm sure some of them must have very advanced computer security skills but it's always easier to pull off an attack than to pre-emptively defend against all possible attacks. If they're really that great, they should be putting their skills into top tier security jobs.

@megageeza

If they have your card no, expiry date, name and dob, then all that's really lacking from making bogus payments is your 3 digit security number which is not really a sufficient security barrier so replacing your cards really does make sense...
    Last edited by MENGKESHI; 27th April 2011 at 01:01 PM.

ion harvest is offline Banned for sending profane and abusive PM's Rapier Pilot
    PSN ID
    ion_harvest

Really? ****. This is very stupid I only have one card. I don't plan to buy anymore games but still having my info vulnerable like that worries me.

Bloody heck.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

I can understand if you want to cancel your cards because its not hard to do and you get peace of mind.
    Iv always had an overseas block on my card and i unblock it when i leave the country (rare). Any irregularity in my spending habbits is also blocked unless iv spoken to my bank manager previously. so i wont be cancelling mine.
    but changing your psn username is useless...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You don't need t change your PSN ID [User name], I would change your password though as soon as possible.

What I would like to know is if the PSN has been down for a week, and the official Sony Playstation forums are linked to the PSN, they to should be unable to be logged onto and posted at, just viewable, which has been the case for me.
    But I notice that there are 4 or 5 people that have still manage to post there over this time, and they are not moderators or admins.
    Also I know of two people in Sweden that have been able to connect to the PSN and update their trophy stats, although they have said it has been tortuously slow for them to do so.

Honestly Sony, I don't know why you just don't cut out the middle man and just move all the servers to Nigeria, at least we would KNOW where we stood if that were the case.
    A total Fiasco

By the way Amplicated, it's not duty of care [that's for alcohol service] , it's due diligence regarding the safety of the personal information.
    And NOT having it encrypted on their servers is going to get them in big trouble.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 27th April 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    Blaming any hacker(s) for compromising user data forgets that Sony has a duty to care for the user data provided to them for a service. There's always a risk of being compromised, and Sony did not do enough to protect users.
    While I largely agree with you (but still thinks whoever did this, anon-/OtherOS affiliated or not, is big fsckin w*nker!), I just don't think that position is defensible. Sure, IMHO Sony acted down-right negligent, but even if I don't lock my house, it doesn't make it OK for anyone to just walk in and take whatever they want.

The whole "they took our OtherOS so now we steal from +70 mill users or at least wreck their network" is getting old real fast.

God, I can't believe I'm actually starting to side with Big Bad Sony. I must be either getting old or drunk...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

Here's the news (with link).

*sigh* I'm very distraught about seeing that PSN was hacked...