Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't connect??

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The hackers didn't bring the PSN down.
    Sony found out that the hackers had gained access to the trusted developers portion of the PSN by manipulation of this new CFW, then entering via a proxy server and by using a signature that Sony's security wasn't programmed to verify.
    That's like you having a PC security program that doesn't look for Trojans, pretty useless, or a thief putting a mask on disguising themselves as somebody you know, and you thinking it's them letting them in your house.

The major security lapse by Sony was not thinking that they were vulnerable to people being able to access the core of it's servers via this means, and being so trusting that no verification was asked for.

Sony would of had no option but to shut the PSN down after such a horrendous breach.
    As it is Sony has no idea what data was taken, or I imagine how many different people were using the same exploit to enter, or how many times they had done so before the breach was discovered.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 26th April 2011 at 04:35 AM.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

my guess is they most likely stole data needed to make down-grader's for most OFW, and possible exploit's in firmware
    but with this data they could end up being able to make a exploit on any PSP or PS3 system,but who knows

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well once they were in they had access to the raw game code for any game that is up at the various PStores, very easy to copy it.
    And from what the moderator at the PSX site said, he had to delete a post explaining just how to do this, so I guess somebody DID actually do this otherwise this information wouldn't be known.
    If you follow the timeline of events as they unfolded over the last 2 weeks you will see that it was the Japanese server that got hit first, I suspect that is the core entry port for developers, the one the hackers found themselves entering by.
    The Japanese PSN's services were disrupted a week before the others, they were on & off, mostly off from what I've been told, and I guess somebody finally twigged what the hell was going on, once it was verified Sony told all regions to shut down.

Sony would of shut down the PSN as much to stop the gathering of credit card/account details of PS users as it would to protect the actual games themselves.
    I imagine everybody in the gaming industry would be extremely worried about just what was taken during the time these hackers had access.

You have to realize that these are legitimate copies of games that were made available via this security breach.
    It would be easy to replicate them and make them available as disc versions to be played back by any legitimate standard PS3.

Keep an eye out at your nearest dodgy supplier of burnt DVD/Bluray discs for some PS3/PSP games that can be downloaded into Media GO! then transferred to your PS3/PSP.
    Or even played directly from the burnt disc.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 26th April 2011 at 11:22 AM.

ion harvest is offline Banned for sending profane and abusive PM's Rapier Pilot
    PSN ID
    ion_harvest

Edit. Keep racism ou of this.
    Last edited by ion harvest; 26th April 2011 at 11:56 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

I agree with ion.... That last part of your post was racist as **** and could've been left to your own thoughts.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I have amended and removed the offending portions of my last post.

Who said that the hackers were European/white American?
    I sure as hell didn't presume that, never ever mention it.
    A presumption on your part.

Maybe you would like to likewise remove portions of, or amend your post unless you want to come across as hypocritical.

ion harvest is offline Banned for sending profane and abusive PM's Rapier Pilot
    PSN ID
    ion_harvest

I used that to serve as an example. It worked coz it rattled your cage

Btw I'm white.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

I applaud you both for being the bigger man...well handled..

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

I guess that attacks online can be shifted to someone else. Proxies can be used to make the traffic come from nations which are on the so-called blacklist of spam countries.
    I really love being cynical...and maybe evil.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Sony will release a statement in a few hours....
    http://www.thesixthaxis.com:80/2011/...soon/#comments

thanks for answering my question about what the hacker are up to..

now i know i do not support them.they steal games and distribute them and help close down game developers ..lose jobs and push up prices..

i hope sony get hard and do that thing i heard of and lock up thier ps3's and render them into bricks for anyone who are known hackers and distrubuters of pirate software..

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

Loss of personal details confirmed in hack.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

My feeling is that those hackers aren't even video games fans :-

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

yep, definitely a sad day there, just read they had access to our personal datas. I'll analyze my bank account these next few days... Tbh I'm really fubar. These stupid hacking genius are just very small dickheads only able to hack a poor earthquaked/tsunamied company who sold at a loss the ps3 during 4/5 years... They're just starting to earn some money, & now... that???

So thank you Geohot, & all the crew, you really helped all the Russian/chinese whatever country hacker mafia there, here we go stupid psn spam to death in our inboxes, & maybe worse.

Geohot is just a stupid ass, just like anonymous all the others. If you guys are so ****in genius, why not REALLY HACK something big, like the NYSE for example, you want a new, free world? just focus on the real targets, seriously... Pffff. The guy is considered as a genius cos' he hacked a phone? & woaw, a ps3? pathetic.

datas stolen by pathetic hackers who have nothing else to do link http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/26/so...k-data-stolen/
    Last edited by kanar; 26th April 2011 at 09:34 PM.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

This is serious stuff there and I`m not happy with that!

You hackers are a piece of

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

If you have a credit card or debit/ATM card on your account, CANCEL THAT STUFF ASAP. Order a new one if need be.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Yes but if PSN is down why can i access it with my PSP, it is really odd,but seriousally the hacker's could of just kep't on making their little exploit's and homebrew without spoiling it for everyone... :'( i was planning on going online with my Game buddy who is in the US, we were going too play tonight....dumb hackers

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

The bad thing about hackers is that they rarely get punished....
    They get employed by the person whom they hacked to help prevent future attacks, which is stupid but understandable...
    If they ever catch the person who fronted this attack they will just get a slap on the wrist and a seat at sony headquarters...
    This always happens and the hackers know it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Firstly it HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED that any personal data was stolen.
    Read the statement Sony issued.
    It says Sony can't be sure that no personal data was or was not stolen.

This log of a security intrusion to the Sony servers has been posted.
    http://shockwavelounge.blogspot.com/...of-hacker.html

If it's the one that has caused all this trouble is another matter.

Either way, corporate business wise this is to Sony what the recent earthquake/Tsunami/Nuclear disaster has been to Japan.
    Depending on the outcome of personal data loss or not Sony has got a PR minefield to cross, it's going to make BP's oil spill look small time if ID theft on a grand scale befalls people.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 27th April 2011 at 02:01 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

"out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

Doubt they got the CC info, just username/passwords/emails. Pretty much anything directly tied to your account (aka almost anything a 12 year old next door could get). Even so, pretty funny they were able to do it so easily.

You guys should calm down still, jumping to a new conclusion every time they post something is annoying to watch.
    Last edited by Frailavi; 27th April 2011 at 05:48 AM.