Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't connect??

Timezone
    GMT -5

guys stop giving me so many options

Timezone
    GMT + 4

These are dark days for PlayStation 3 gamers. The PlayStation Network has been out of commission since Wednesday evening, and ever since then, access to the PSN and the PlayStation Store has been cut off. That means that you can't download titles, sync your Trophies, or even play online multiplayer. In a sense, outages like this should be expected with the PlayStation Network. It's a free service and as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. But this lack of a financial stake for customers seems to equate to the lackadaisical response from Sony itself.
    Look here for further info

I have to say, I disagree saying that Sony should 'refund' us for damages caused. Sure, I'm angry about the disruption, but there's nobody to blame but the hackers that caused the damage. Sony's had its' share of hard times with the tsunami that damaged their Japanese HQ and brought down PSN Asia for a while. I'm unhappy I can't play my games online, I admit. But I'm not paying a monthly fee for this, I don't see why I should somehow get 'refunded' for something I didn't pay for.

It would be nice if say, there was a discount on some items in the PSN store, but I think we have to grit our teeth and get through this.

*fires up Steam* Anyone for Half Life 2: Deathmatch?

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

mdhay_wz. Add me and I'll install it again.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

It may be a 'free service' but what about the people who bought a ps3 to play online! psn is sonys biggest selling point and without it its just a blue ray player...
    and besides its not free for ps+ subscribers.
    Im not to botherd by the downtime because iv been busy,
    But, The People 99% of them (sonys customers) are asking 1 question.... How long? but just like all customer service... they never answer the real questions! even if they said "a month" i would be happy!! at least i could forget about it.
    Our details are safe, but sony's details aren't. they HAVE to tell us if our accounts could be affected. its Law

Timezone
    GMT -5

You guys need to chill over all this.

It's just PSN. I understand that some of us played it everyday, and I've also been inconvenienced over all of this. But come on, if you can't do without it for a week then this is probably a good thing for you.

On the case of Sony not giving out enough information, yes, it's really annoying and bothersome but did you really expect something more?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I honestly just dont get it... or rather what makes me angry is that the only thing the hackers have achieved is to piss off people who want to enjoy a good evenings gaming every now and then (or too often, as you said, in my case) so theres no real purpose to the attack. That pisses me off more than anything because that indicates to me that the hacker in question is just an asshole who somehow gets off on angering other people.

I dont care much about how long it takes for sony to rebuild the system(yes I am a bit bitter that there was no avalon this weekend but these things happen) so long as it stays free, safe and stable. BUT as I've already stated it angers me that some little creep thinks it's funny to mess with 70milion users and for what?! it just doesnt make sense.

anyway rant over have a nice day/Oryx

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    icarasDragon

The only thing that tips me off a bit is that Sony aren't releasing enough information. All I want to know is wether they've salvaged the account list (so we don't have to recreate them and lose any credit we have) and wether PS+ users will have their billing months reset or similar (For the portion they couldn't use), and JUST HOW LONG will the code monkeys take.
    I'll be happy just to know to when it'll be down let alone account info.

(I'm also wondering how will the littl'uns like 6yr olds who use the service for LBP or something taking this)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

To put the PSN outage into perspective.
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/x...preventing-fu/

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

I already linked to that.

Still it serves as a good method of showing how bad we don't have it, really.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

This is just an update i found about how far sony are at getting psn back online.
    They still dont know if personal details have been compromised.... This tells me that they are still a long way from getting psn back up and running.
    So it will be at least another week before we can play online,
    Now i can put the ps3 away because i know it wont be getting used for a while
    http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/04/...tails-and-psn/

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

If nothing else, this is a good way to find out which games are truly epic and fun when they're all on their own, without online experiences to affect your judgment of them...or how badly we're addicted to gaming online.

There's children starving in Africa. (and elsewhere)
    And yes, I know they're not paying for internet they can't use. but they're still starving.

ive read on other sites about this group that has hacked psn network and taken it down..tey have put out a statement on other sites about why they did it but they only say thats its punishment to sony for treating us customers bad..so....

can someone explain in detail what they mean by sony treating us badly..i want to understand full story before i take a side

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

The hackers got pissed because sony disabled some things from the ps3 that hardly anyone knew about... apart from hackers.
    They believe its unfair of sony to remove features that were on the ps3 as standard but its a security risk for sony and iv never heard of this thing they removed.
    So the hackers are just doing this for themselves, because there not customers anymore as all there games are hacked and they contribute nothing to sony.
    They also say sony are just money takers.... but aren't all companies?
    F U hackers

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

While running the risk of being repetitive it sounds to me like the hackers in question are just arseholes out to ruin someone's day to make a name for themselves... Or if I'm being slightly more lenient, completely misguided idealists with a cause that is to say the least questionable.

Honestly this is I'm sure a bit of a headache for sony but in the end the ones who are punished are the customers. Not I think the intended effect, so good on ya hackers! way to go on making yourselves look bad!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Anonymous make video statement denying involvement in taking down PSN.
    http://www.digitalspy.com.au/gaming/...-psn-hack.html

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I found it interesting that even though I can't sign into PSN, when I went to try some demos for the first time (that I'd downloaded ages ago), they required updates before playing--the updates downloaded just fine.
    So the servers must be up and running, right?

I'm far happier that they're trying to fix a hack than let us play on unawares and just wait for our Credit card numbers to get stolen...

Also, why does this hack have to be someone who's just out to hate Sony? It could easily have been done strictly for financial gain--there's certainly enough gamers with credit tied into the PSN.

Thanks for info blackwiggle, very informative (unless you're a skeptic)
    Last edited by Medusa; 26th April 2011 at 02:02 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It appears that the reason the PSN is down is because of a Jailbreak misuse.

A moderator at PSX-Scene posted this.

QUOTE:
    Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out by 3rd parties (not Rebug) to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
    1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
    2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on 4/20/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.

Edit #3: Ok, it looks like some various news sites have picked up this story and taken it out of context. Once again, this is all speculation and information gathered from various devs in the PS3 scene. It might very well not be the real reason PSN is down, but as the timeline fits, it's a reasonable explanation. Now, as to Rebug directly allowing this to happen, that's not the case at all. Different CFW's have had access to the dev network the whole time. This is not new news for people in the PS3 scene. It's what people have figured out what to do with the said network that has caused all the recent issues. Saying that Rebug is what did this is like saying a gun manufacturer is responsible for every death that happens with a gun.

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I'm sad and happy that this happend. I can't go online, SO I work on getting trophies! I wonder, what's happening to Sony right now, at this moment...

If Sony and Microsoft uses both systems, on ONE server. Therefore, someone with a Xbox360 hates Sony and tries to hack them (or vise versa), NO ONE goes online... (too far, eh?) Plus it is better than buying both system just so you can play with friends.

If Sony told us what happend and how we can help, I'll hop on a plane and I'll be there, ASAP!

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Well for some reason yesterday i got on the playstation store on my PSP, it's odd, and those hacker's who did it, give a bad name too the hacker's who actually do some good with what they do, but the one's that taken PSN down are bad, the give good hacker's a bad name*rage's*
    but i hope it is back up soon, but can anyone explain how i managed too access PSN on my PSP? i just updated my PSP too firmware 6.38 2 day's ago
    me myself support the PSP and PS3 hacking community, But however this is just too far im angry that this has happened, But When you think about it, it is not just the hacker's fault, Sony should've had better hack-proof security, But the hacker's could've rather then bringing PSN down, they could've just let it slide,like the PSP hacking community doe's,(stupid downgrader's for PSP 6.38 not not existing) but i still think these people who hacked PSN should be Punished

However think of this wouldn't it make more sense if sony let the hacker's continue making game's and extention's for the PS3 and PSP, i know it sound's dum im saying this but, it could attract more people too PSP's and PS3's if sony allowed some of the Special add-on's and homebrew game's the hacker's make, PSP and PS3 Sale's would go up, anyone know what im saying,but still, hacker's have gone too far, some of us may have lost online stat's and everything we had worked for in some online game's and program's *rage's*
    Last edited by jesse9705; 26th April 2011 at 04:14 AM.