Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New to wipeout hd/fury... need people to race with..

Quote Originally Posted by greenymac View Post
    I hate it when im in 1st or 2nd I never get mines or bombs to slow people down, .
    sorry that was me, i usually steal all the mines and bombs from the weapon pads before the race start LOL (obviously the reason why i load so slow heheh )

anyway being 4 seconds behind on reverse tracks you've never done before on the fastest speed isnt bad at all. as i said before in my first races i was getting totally dominated by everyone, 10 to 20 seconds behind on practically all the tracks (now ive narrowed it down to a just a few tracks lolol)
    Last edited by Nutcase:259; 30th March 2011 at 11:29 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

I'll be around on and off today. I have to go out later and get a fresh haircut as the brillo pad on my head needs a touchup.I went to speed lap last night and did a little modesto. Forwards not terrible. But backwards is another story. I'm having problems being able to steer with any semblance of control. I mean when Im steering I dunno what t0 use airbarakes? dpad steering? or both. I'm reaching a certain level of frustration now. makes me wanna snap my dualshock 3 in half.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

well everyone has their own style I guess but I'm usually aggressive with the dpad and less so with the airbrakes, sometimes just tapping them when I need to improve on my steering from the dpad. Though there are alot of corners you'll find that basically only needs dpad, and a slight correction with a sideshift. Actually on that note one advice that I found really helpful back when I first joined woz was to master the sideshift. I found that, after I had done so everything else just started getting gradually better/easier the more I played.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Let me give you an example of what i mean. Lets take modesto reverse after the mag strip and the two boosts near the beginning. That long left hander that leads into the tunnel, I just dont grasp it. or coming out of it on forward. I just dont know when to airbrakeand when to normally steer. Im just generally confused on airbraking and actual steering. The sideshifting isnt a problem for me, thats cake. The simple execution of steering is screwing me all up. I dunno, i think i'm starting to hit a wall...Oh and when i say something is "cake" I mean its easy to execute.
    Last edited by greenymac; 30th March 2011 at 01:01 PM.

usually for that modesto corner i stick to the far right as the inside seems a bit uneven and tends to throw you into the inside barrier. and just try to hang on using the analogue stick (not a D-pad user BTW) just tapping the airbrakes to keep a stable curve through the corner.

well thats me. its similar to that long corner on Tech da ra

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

I started out with analog and flippers, but now i use d pad and l1,r1. analog just too twitchy for an already twitchygame.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

I always crash on that corner on phantom speed, im a rapier pilot lol. but as someone said earlier in this topic, practice on zone... and soon you will master those pesky corners! I used to use the dpad but i changed to the stick, maybe try that? theres more control instead of pressing a button but like oryx said everyone has there own way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutcase:259 View Post
    ive always thought doing zone helps learn the tracks, also helped me tidy up at the higher speeds (if i can do it at supersonic i can race at phantom right? right... )

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Nah man I can barely handle phantom and wheni go back to flash from phantom my timing is all screwed up and I figure it would be even worse going back from above phantom to phantom. Plus i do not really care for the zone races and zone stuff in general. It doesnt feel like a normal ship to me and doesnt drive like one and that just confounds my muscle memory. So no, I respect your advice, but theres no need fpr me to go above phantom. All i would do is slam walls and be even more frustrated and at this point added frustration is what I dont need. Quite sick of losing. Nothing like hearing the announcer say"perfect lap" then you look up at the timer to see if youve cut in on someones lead and instead they're another second ahead.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Look at this video by yeldar and observe how tight the side shift is. how is he bringing it under control like that? Is there some thing Im missing because when i sideshift it doesnt do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPbmVTyKeA&NR=1

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

well I dont know how the physics engine works exactly but if you look at all those side shifts they are in the opposite direction of where the inertia is carrying the craft which I find usually makes the sideshifts tighter... but again I'm not exactly an expert on the wo physics engine ^^;

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tug_14

using airbreak to sideshift is essential to make a good time whatever the class
    u can stop the sideshift (left or right) by using oppsite airbreak briefly
    Last edited by tug_14; 30th March 2011 at 06:05 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Yeldar knows that sideshifts are more efficient on speedpads ! And if you use them like that, the boost due to the SP will give at your sideshift a forward direction instead of a lateral one !

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

If you're having trouble with weapons, turn them off.

Weps off = epic racing. Nuff said.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

@ tug 14 thanks alot man, thats exactly the information I was looking fo.r I didnt know a tap of the opposite brake will dampen the inert motion of the shift. I plan to get online in a couple hours if anyone of you guys are still awake. Just got a fresh haircut....I figure it'll help my aerodynamics

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Hey MegaGeeza if you look at this thread again good races earlier. I seem to be so focused on barrel rolling and getting speed that I use all my shield energy and get destroyed,lol.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Your quite a good pilot from what iv seen! those races earlier were tough lol, it was like eliminator! at least 3 people blew up in each race and you beat me a few times!
    i got a message off some guy -
    "STOP your extreme slingering in corners and pushing others to the wall peace"
    LOL

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Nah, I'm not a good pilot yet. I've got a long way to go. Today my track to learn is ubermall reverse. I fall so far behing sometimes on the tracks i dont know very well. I should have plenty of time this weekend to put down some speed laps for familiarity. And yeh man, those races were hectic. Seems like a couple people got destroyed every race.

PSN ID
    slimjim2097

i was one of them

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Alright guys, its the weekend! Get your asses online and lets race.