Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hd Cup Website: Corrections, suggestions and comments

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Default Hd Cup Website: Corrections, suggestions and comments

This thread is about the Wipeout hd cup Website.

This is where I want you to report problems, correct me on things I might've missed or missunderstood and in general comment on the website and it's content.

This is to avoid filling up other threads and my inbox with stuff about the site.

I should say though that I might not implement all of your suggestions or make corrections right away as keeping the site going is not what you'd call a day job if I dont then you might remind me at a later date or you could just wait and see.

Cheers

(I realize I should have done this sooner but better late than never I say.)

lol..i never even knew a wipeout cup site existed till now..its really good and i updated eagle board too..

nice site..good work

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

well there we go another reason I shoulda done this earlier >.< anyways thanks for all the hard work and for the kind words

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

The only thing I didn't like about it was that there's a video or something on the rules page that requires quicktime. I loathe quicktime as I've had endless problems with it over the years. So if whatever it is could link to youtube or some other flash host then that would be better (for me anyway).

Other than that it's super snazzy. If links can be provided somewhere to youtube accounts of participants then that could be worthwhile. Maybe they are already linked from a board somewhere?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

yeah that quicktime thing is a relic of my being to stoopid to learn real html programming, it's a banner with the animated logos of WZ WA and wohdcup kinda like a commercial banner, and I dont know how to make it work any other way than quicktime (sad I know) os actually if anyone has an idea for how this could be done, please feel free to help me with that.

And yeah your right about the vids... my question would be how to best go about it (some videos have been linked to on the boards like mine and aiirwolf's) I have a few ideas just gotta decide which is best.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

On my screen (I use Firefox, up to date), the Challonge board has a scroll bar at the bottom for about 2cm of extra width. I'd like it if it didn't have a scroll bar...

Also, the names for the pages are a little messed up: Vulture is owl.html, Owl is owl-2.html. If someone wanted to navigate directly via the address bar, there'd be an issue.

PSN ID
    kgb1971

You could click the S for small .

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

but then the text is all small!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

about the challonge board having a small scroll bar... the alternative really is having it look wierd because it fills out too much of the site space making the site look a little limp so to speak... it's a design thing mostly but I get you though and I'd like to hear what other people have to say about it. as for the urls that has been fixed now.

cheers

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Made a few minor updates today and too some opinions into consideration now I know the video archive looks like total crap at the moment but I haven't yet decided how to design it so bear with me

http://wohdcup.sommarpojkarna.com

PSN ID
    novide

Hey Oryx,

i can make the banner in flash, the original animations are in flash...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

oh please do how would I best add it in that case?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Hmm - would it be possible to scale the size of viewable space on the Challonge board with the size of the browser? I have a 23" widescreen monitor and browse in full screen, but I understand that people with smaller screens wouldn't like it if it took up their whole screen real estate. It's obviously not the biggest problem a person could have, but it's a suggestion

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I dont know but I dont think so see the modules are size specific, 1024x1024 to be exact. but then I'm no programmer nor am I really a webdesigner so I just dont know to be honest... but I could launch an inquiry

Edit:
    The banner with the animated logos of the cup WZ and WA has now been changed and is no longer a quicktime file, big thanks to novide for making that job a quick fix!
    Last edited by Oryx Crake; 11th January 2011 at 10:44 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Oryx you're a champ; fantastic work so far!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Wow haha kanar your gonna make me blush in any case a little status update: in the last 2 weeks(that means last week and today and yesterday) alone we have gotten 640 something pageviews compared to the month before that when we got a total of 696, which means interest is growing!

So I'm thinking of maybe trying to market it to scee and other places where this might serve to get more people interested in the cup and the game itself.
    To that end I'd really like to get the video archive section up and running. I'm just not entirly sure how to do it yet so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear from you!

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Hi Oryx, great onestop shop for the cup! I regularly visit it to see what's up within the clouds. btw, who's responsible for the results update? In Krestel there are 'some' missing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

cheers constrictor! as for the boards it's me kanar and the raptors, but as you know alot of results come in all at once so at the end of this week I plan to do a complete look over and check all the boards to make sure that they are up to date.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Some updates!

The boards have now all been synced with the racelog!
    and we have a short sort of interview with some of the players on the news page
    enjoy

Edit:
    We have also reached 1500 views with over 800 of those coming in the last 2 weeks cheers for the interest!
    Last edited by Oryx Crake; 15th January 2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: small update needing no post of it's own.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Big update!

We have added a section called Interviews! where in I will be posting interviews with some of the more famous pilots

this week we start off with Dp89 and Jasmin-jade

so get over there and check it out, oh and dont forget to tell me anything you think needs changing over there.

have fun

/oryx