Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Mode Without Barrel Rolls

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool Campaign Mode Without Barrel Rolls

Anybody who was around here for awhile, may remember how much I hate barrel rolls. It was always my intention, once I finally got HD, to see how far I could go in Campaign Mode without using barrel rolls. Because I had a point to prove, dangitall!!!
    Anyways, I did just that for the last while. I thought I'd have to abandon the Elite setting right away...but actually, I just completed the entire campaign mode, all on Elite settings, without using a single barrel roll in the process.
    This involved aborting a race each time an accidental BR occurred (or tournament, even if it was the very last tourney and it was race 7 and I was guaranteed my final gold ). Unfortunately, my grand dream of having 0 attempted barrel rolls in my stats didn't happen because of these accidental ones. It ended up being 11 attempted, 5 successful. Grrr.
    Anyway, the point is, although quite challenging at times (Chenghou Phantom), it is fairly easy to get Elite Campaign Legend without using a barrel roll. So there.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Show off!

Nah, congrats. A lot of people struggle with elite campaign so without barrel rolls it's all the more impressive. To be honest, I'm not sure if I could pull it off with out them as it seems the only way to fight back against annoying Elite AI weapon usage. Did you do it with weapons turned on or off?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

They're always on in Campaign races

Nice work Medusa

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Ah OK. It's been so long I've almost completely forgotten campaign mode.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

LOL of course with weapons on!!!! All settings were normal. The thing is, I believe the AI adjust its speed to whatever you are doing. I think I remember reading that it goes 15% faster than you...basically, I just had to concentrate on using the proper race lines. The only time I had to even hotlap (use turbo at the start of one speedlap and another in the lap) was on Vineta K forward if I remember right. Also I should mention I used Piranha almost exclusively, to have a top speed ship was critical.
    The AI was actually not too competitve at all until Phantom speed. If I got a Perfect Lap or two (or more LOL), and made sure to use pickups appropriately, the AI vanished at lower speeds.
    I was extraordinarily surprised how easy this was, actually. It just goes to show that new players can concentrate on just racing lines at first, and still do alright.

Also, just wanted to add, to show this really was not that hard, that game time was 6:37:06. And the best part was that the AI didn't eliminate me once.
    Last edited by Medusa; 9th January 2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added stats.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Now do it without airbrakes.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Yeah the AI are hilarious. I like the rubber-banding. Even on Elite, you can wait for up to 20 seconds at the start/finish line before 'starting' and still beat them. Silly bots

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

What!!! Im not jealous... honest. im still trying to do the elite campaign with BRs, i only need this trophy and zone zeus for the plat.. but i think i will carry on using BRs lol.
    Well done!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Lol. nice achievement Medusa ! Especially as AI DO BRs !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

That's a good one Leung

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Now try with Motion controls only.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

@jav, They do !! really ! I never film my races against AI but i'll try one day, because i even saw an AI ship doing a quite advanced BR ! I suppose they adjust their behavior on the human player's.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

If they adjust their behavior, then no wonder they do BR against you,
    LeungBRok

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Lol, the AI DO do BR's, I've seen it.

Congrats Medusa, that's some achievement I make no bones about my dislike for BR's, I think I got about halfway through the campaign and had to switch from d-pad to analog because I just could'nt execute them at all....stupid stick is the bane of my existence, so many thumb slips...so many lost races

Well done!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

"Now do it with motion controls only." LOL! No I don't think I have that much time...and I'm sure zero3growlithe has done that one...
    stinkleroy I had the opposite problem, I've tried switching to the analog stick but I can't do the BRs consistently. The dpad has gotten quite stiff over just a few months, but still it's easier for me to BR with it. And, welcome to the barrel roll hate club...I'm sure we've never met, or I'd remember it!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

Does that mean you're going to turn BRs off for our game in the world cup? Oh noes

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

LOL Jav, you better believe I"m considering it! I've seen your scary times, and I'm willing to take the scheming route and turn them off haha We'll see eh?
    Regardless, I'd still have to manage perfect laps and hit every speed pad.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    haiku_

Now that is some dedication to a hatred of BRs.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phaeton_pl

Firstly, congrats Medusa! I'm sure it wasn't easy

Well, I can't call myself a "BR-hater" but i also like "non-BR" racing. Beating Zico without BR's was great fun and also a good lesson of lines and sideshifts.

I posted an idea in Speed Lap Challenge thread long time ago but there was no interest in non-BR challenge. Maybe we should give a shot with some "non BR Time Trial weekly challenge" or something? It could be good fun

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    LOL Jav, you better believe I"m considering it! I've seen your scary times, and I'm willing to take the scheming route and turn them off haha We'll see eh?
    Regardless, I'd still have to manage perfect laps and hit every speed pad.
    Lol that is no problem, I was just kidding. You can choose whatever you like As can I...