Thread: Controls Gripe

Timezone
    GMT -5

Default Controls Gripe

WipEout HD is lovely, but the one thing I despise is the counter movement when steering. The ship moves slightly in the opposite direction that you're steering, or at least of the back of the ship does, as if the ship is pivoting about it's midpoint, rather than steering normally. I'm not to bad at the first four WipEout games, but this counter movement thing has trashed my ability to play well.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

That is the actual way a hovercraft works. You will have to adapt because I do think that the vast majority of people here including myself prefer it with that momentum you can carry through turns instead of turning on a dime.
    You may like WipEout Pulse because it is more like what you describe.

Allow me to elaborate:
    What you want to do in WipEout to turn is not turn when you are already there, you want to start turning slightly before being there so that the momentum of the ship carries you through the turn a bit. Think of it like motorcycle racing in that sense, and less like car racing.
    If you play the first WipEout games you know how crucial it is to turn before you even get there, so do the same in WipEout HD, but less than in the first game because the effect isn't as pronounced. Like I said in WipEout Pulse that is virtually non-existent.
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 30th October 2010 at 12:51 AM.

its just trying to simulate anti grav i guess ..just like DD says...

my gripe with controls is

sensitivity on the thrust button..like anyone decent needs it..

would have been better to do sensitivity to steering..

Timezone
    GMT -5

I've sussed it! It's not a problem with the /controls/ but with the /camera/! In cockpit view, there are no issues, it's when you view the ship from behind, the camera isn't fixed to the ship so the ship is sliding all over the place relative to the camera, and so for me this is completely counter intuitive because I expect the ship to be where the camera is. D:

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    its just trying to simulate anti grav i guess ..just like DD says...

my gripe with controls is

sensitivity on the thrust button..like anyone decent needs it..

would have been better to do sensitivity to steering..
    It's called the Analogue stick man, usually I hate the thing, but I can't get enough of it in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by augur View Post
    I've sussed it! It's not a problem with the /controls/ but with the /camera/! In cockpit view, there are no issues, it's when you view the ship from behind, the camera isn't fixed to the ship so the ship is sliding all over the place relative to the camera, and so for me this is completely counter intuitive because I expect the ship to be where the camera is. D:
    Glad you sorted it man. To be that camera angle is vomit inducing... But glad it works for someone.