Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New wipeout game in production?

Just read about this, and my first thought was to come to the Zone and check out what people thought!!!

potentially awesome news. I'm hopeful of a full console WipEout myself.

look now description changed, futuristic could have meant motorstorm apocolypse , (wens release window for it?)
    also hit the mainstream
    http://www.1up.com/news/sony-liverpo...g-wipeout-game
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...turistic-racer
    look at comments for 2nd link read the comment on edge games, may be random lol, didnt know they were still about but racers game defo futuristic
    Last edited by brainbeat; 21st October 2010 at 12:07 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ONlocke

I just hope for something WipEout related. If it's a new game,
    or another add-on to WOHD, It doesn't really matter to me.

I agree with amplificated. The latest game really is a solid game,
    and building more on that, adding maps, game modes - just stuff in
    general, won't bother me, even if a brand new game would be the
    most awesome thing that could happen!

Who doesn't want to see "Blue Ridge", or "Arc Prime" f.ex. in HD?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I grabbed a screen shot of the full job description before they changed it.
    Actually the only thing that has been changed as far as I can tell is from the initial smaller ad where the word "Futuristic" has been removed.
    It does lend itself to make you think that this position is for making a full console game.

The PS3 is starting to show it's limitations graphically with the latest games FFXIII, Enslaved are two examples where it's had problems keeping up.
    And the new slims were brought out for two reasons,firstly to get the price down and secondly to hopefully fix the problem of peoples consoles dying on them like the Fat PS3's.
    They couldn't really be called a technical advancement, so I don't think it is that far fetched to think a PS4 has been on the drawing board at least.

Now that Sony is starting to show a profit again from the Playstation it might want to get the jump on Microsoft and bring forward the PS4's release.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 21st October 2010 at 04:44 AM.

I want a new WO- make it happen Sony, I dont want Motorstorm.

Slightly off topic:

I cant see a PS4 being released soon for many reasons:

1: People may not have enough cash for a new console- the PS3 new was £400.

2: People may be wary of console reliability- as each generation passes more and more problems arise.

3: Its only really now the PS3 has become a mature product worth buying- at launch it was rubbish (bar WO), now it has several rental utilities, tv catchup channels (PlayTV) and games that I want to buy- plus I can stream my media using PS3 media Player.

4: What will a PS4 bring value wise? Better graphics for sure but what else? 3D gaming? 3D TVs are not selling (since no-one has £2000 plus £150 for glasses)- better storage? DIY a new HDD. DLNA? etc.

5: Programmers are getting lazy- the PS2 did graphics on a par with early PS3 stuff but more and more they rely on new hardware (OK, more of a pop at PC game programmers).

The PS3 is a good Blu Ray player, OK browser and (did/ does) do Linux if you are living in the 3.15 era or are naughty and have a dongle. With these features I cant see Sony releasing anything soon- and they have only just started making a profit on a feature packed machine that is well set for the future.

But a 3D, 2560×1600 WQXGA 60 plus Detonator match on a PS4 does sound tempting.....

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

Job description may have changed because I can only see an offer for "an experienced and upbeat Senior Designer to work with a talented and experienced team on a high profile racing franchise."
    Not futuristic anymore.

Well, despite that little change, I think it will be wipeout (it's too late to get a senior designer for MotorStorm3).

But since SL wipeout team has been disbanded earlier this year, I don't expect anything for PS3.
    Wipeout Pure was a stunning line up title for PSP, so I think it will probably in order to develop a stunning line up title for PSP2.
    Last edited by Sch@dows; 21st October 2010 at 12:59 PM.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is not gonna be WipEout. Nor is it even something for the PS4. My main reasons are as follows:

1) Motorstorm: Apocalypse needs a -lot- of work. I played the Alpha release at Eurogamer Expo, and I think it needs a bit of retooling. They're still developing it, given that the words 'Alpha Release' were in the corner throughout my playing, and if Sony wants to care for one of its' franchises, it'd be the one that's been with it since the release of the PS3.

2) WipEout is a pretty old game, lets' be honest. Coming up on its' third year... now why on earth would they release DLC for that old a game unless the userbase is big enough to warrant a good recall of money? As much as I would pay for it, and I'm sure anyone on these forums would, I don't know if the three hundred of us + however many yappy venom eliminator players there are would really constitute enough to make it up unless it's a high price.

3) Sony's just released the Move. That is a massive technological update, which I personally hate (think it's all dodgy) and provided support for 3D systems. Why would it be releasing a PS4 now, when it's sunk so much money into an existing console already? If the PS4 flounders, it'd be curtains for Sony. Yes, the 360 is showing better graphics right now, but is that really that big a reason to release a brand new console? Especially when you can boast your own motion control system and 3D support?

So I'm sorry guys, I don't buy it. They're looking for someone for Motorstorm: Apocalypse.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

That's a senior designer job offer. Why whould they need someone like that now for MotorStorm Apocalyspe ? Isn't it a bit late for gathering a team of designers ? At least if they still plan to release the game in 2011.

Moreover, the job offer is for Studio Liverpool, not Evolution Studios and since the wipeout team is no more, with it's resources split accross the Sony Worldwide Studios (Liverpool, Evolution Studios, bigBIG Studios) ... I think it makes more sense.

But I agree that no new WipEout will be developed for PS3
    Last edited by Sch@dows; 21st October 2010 at 01:00 PM.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

I like to think Sony are pushing the whole 3D thing, wanting to shift tonnes of 3D TVs and PS3s with a raft of new games, including Wipeout 3D ™. I'm probably somewhat deluded there, but it keeps me happy.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

What's to stop Sony bringing out a PS4 and still producing the PS3?
    It's still producing the PS2.

The PS4 is inevitable, it will get sales just through console envy despite whatever price they ask for it.
    Your selling to a market that's very essence is entirely based on competition.

When it will appear is the question.
    I don't think it will be that far off, it was earmarked for 2012 from what I remember reading.
    Hopefully Sony will have learnt from it's design & marketing mistakes with the PS3, and not repeat them with the PS4.
    Sony used to be on the ball until about 5 years ago, that's when things went off track, they are just starting to get things right again.

As for 3D TV not taking off.
    HA!, just wait, you won't be able to buy a non 3D TV soon unless you want a uber cheap TV for a spare room.
    They are already not that much more expensive than solely 2D TV's which are slowly being faded out of production.
    You choose if you want to switch in the 3D effect remember, it's not forced upon you.
    You can also choose to buy the glasses/receiver or not, you can do that later, the price of the SONY add-on receiver and 2 pairs of glasses is around the price of 7 Blueray Disc's.
    Not what I would call expensive.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Now hang on for a healthy dose of unhealthy optimism...the line was almost certainly changed after the news outlets first picked up on the story. After all, the keywords "Studio Liverpool", "racing game" and "futuristic" would almost guarantee that they are working on a new Wipeout game - in the same way that "Namco" and "space shooter" would indicate that they're making a new Galaga.

Stuff like that gets edited or taken down frequently especially if it reveals a project that the company isn't quite ready to take public yet.

If it is a new Wipeout game, great (I've always got ideas ). If not, hey, I've got eight other Wipeout games I could keep playing instead.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    IoannisVita

My guess is that is for a new wipeout for PSP2.
    Sony will probably announce PSP2 on E3 '11 since PSP is almost dead.
    PSP GO was never supported and since Nintendo announced 3DS, Sony won't be late to announce a PSP2, probably with touch screen, 3D support and graphics on almost the same level as PS3.
    In short something like PSP compared to PS2 back in 2005...
    Just theories here by me though.
    Anyway, anything wipeout related is more than welcomed by everyone here i suppose...

Sony please get back to the good old-days and support your fan base, don't ignore them, give them what they want!

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post

As for 3D TV not taking off.
    HA!, just wait, you won't be able to buy a non 3D TV soon unless you want a uber cheap TV for a spare room.
    They are already not that much more expensive than solely 2D TV's which are slowly being faded out of production.
    You choose if you want to switch in the 3D effect remember, it's not forced upon you.
    You can also choose to buy the glasses/receiver or not, you can do that later, the price of the SONY add-on receiver and 2 pairs of glasses is around the price of 7 Blueray Disc's.
    Not what I would call expensive.
    I dont know what sales are like in Oz but in Europe sales of 3d TVs are very sluggish- most people have already bought high end sets (I myself have a 1 yr old 50 in plasma). People will not dump such hardware in a hurry, may be in 5-10 years or so, which makes 3D a big gamble and a toy for the vast minority. This opinion is based on a friend that works in a high end TV shop-in the UK 3D is very much a fad, the real sellers are Intenet ready (i.e. streaming) TVs. And another problem is no-one has money to buy all this gear in a recession, £1000 pounds is a lot (not accounting for the decoder, glasses etc that push the price up).

3D may be inevitable, but the market is fragmented- no 3d tv glasses are compatible with another, 3D 'ready' v built in is another issue that confuses people plus there are many 'standards' of 3D that fry consumers brains. 3D may become sidelined like the Minidisc or Laserdisc- its only now HD has really taken hold and thats been years in the making.

In games, although it is a player choice, 3D is a real system hogger that really diverts development time and energy- I would much prefer 30+ ships at 2D 1080p than 10 in 3D. I just hope the 3D TV user has to compromise and not the 2D player.

Anyway- Wipeout! I do hope the new WO is either a logical extension of WO3 (i.e. high end design/ typography) or WO Fusion (something new to the mix). (And not on the PSP2- I dislike small screens with fast recing games).

Yeah guys im with all the ones saying its for the psp2.
    That sounds about right.

A Ps4 is still 4+ years away.
    and there is no reason to make another ps3 game.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I don't think that a new game being started on this year would be too early for a PS4 release, as the next wave of consoles are likely to come out in 2012. That's only 2 years, tops, of dev time if it were released on the PS4's launch.

@ Rotational Aspect: I think BW's point is that at least to manufacturers, "3D TV" is just jargon for "the new standard". Even if sales are sluggish, soon enough people won't even be able to purchase a TV incapable of 3D. Not just Aus, or Europe - anywhere. Except maybe North Korea.
    Also, the actual expense of a 3D TV is no greater than any other new TV apart from the required accessories.

Anyway, I won't go into detail on the things I think you have mistaken regarding 3D, since in any case this 3D talk is beside the point of a new WO game. As far as I'm concerned, 3D is insignificant, mainstream, doesn't cost much if anything to developers, etc. When there is a new WO game on a home console, 3D will be there.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by mikrucio View Post
    Yeah guys im with all the ones saying its for the psp2.
    That sounds about right.

A Ps4 is still 4+ years away.
    and there is no reason to make another ps3 game.
    There wasn't really a reason to make a second PSP Wipeout (Pulse), aside from adding true online multiplayer, and it happened anyway.

I'll take either a new PS3 or a PSP2 title. Doesn't matter to me. The important thing about this is that SL is far from dead and that they are working on something.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

3D TV sales in Aus have been pretty healthy.
    I put that down to 3 things.
    Harvey Norman is the biggest store for TV's Aus wide, he got the TV stations to do the worlds first live free to air 3D broadcasts of the "State of Origin" Rugby League series of games, his store & Samsung also sponsored this, so there was blanket advertising.
    Then we had the world cup shortly after, again we had SBSTV show all the games that were shot in 3D go free to air on their own 3D channel, these were run on a permanent loop until the next game went live, then that replaced the last.

And thirdly, being very close to Asia we have over the years got a large Asian population, they like to have the newest technology [especially mobile phones], it's just what they tend to spend their money on.
    I suppose you could say it replaces drinking which they don't seem to do that much, but is what the Anglo based community tend to spend there money on.

Guys Sony and MS have already stated that the usual 5 year console cycle is not going to be 5 years this time around. The PS3 still has HEAPS of life in it.
    Dont expect a PS4 until 2013-14.

A psp2 game is highly likely.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

It's been a while since I posted anything on here... Or played a lot of Wipeout for that matter (need a comfortable chair), I've been busy traveling around and working... Starting some classes up eventually and still need to keep in good physical condition, but even though I haven't been very available to Wipeout lately I hope that this continues... Wipeout is and will probably be for a long long time my number 1 racer... Wipeout HD is a masterpiece! (As well as all it's other prequals of course)...

PSN ID
    pufleuk

looks like this might get sl back and hopefully wipeout even better the old sl developers might come back