Page 7 of 130 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wipeout HD Cup

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

BW that's interesting there. We'll ask for some of these infos in our future cup registration confirmation pm, so community managers will be able to give these preliminary infos, each round beginning to the concerned pilots.

The Wipeout HD cup
    "For the record"
    ALL INFOS/RESERVATIONS HERE

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think once other forums are hit you are looking at at least a 500 to 750 pilots that want in, quite easily more.

Be ready for it.

The only reason people haven't joined in something like this is because it has never been attempted before.
    Well not at this level anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Great, I always wanted to give a final touch to the website, but had lost
    motivation after the game slowly died ... I'm finally going to implement the
    EVENT tab

Count me in!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

YAY connavar! I'm sending you an invite to the command center too, so you could contact the artist crew in order to synch wth 'em.

awesome story so far.

PSN ID
    JPA2097

Smile

yeah, i wanna to play this wipeout hd. no fury tracks?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

JPA!!! welcome to this cup! just check first post, the German translation is available as an attachment mate, thanks to R3BU5ER. Fury extension is just not a requirement to participate, that's all.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JJPAP

WipEout HD Cup (We can dance - if you want to?)

Epilepsy Warning!!!

PC/Mac (WMV/41,2 MB) | PS3 (DivX/65,4 MB) | PSP (mp4/6,25 MB) | YouTube

A VERY BIG THX to Novide and Unctuous!!! You guys rock

Will post other formats later on, but I´m working hard to convert the 4 GB raw-file to reasonable (size and quality) formats, including DivX for the PS3.
    Original resolution is 720p, but the WMV-file is scaled down to 640x360, so the size is not too overwhelming to download.
    PM me if you´ve got any probs ... Erhhh, well, not any probs, but probs watching the vid

Enjoy
    Last edited by JJPAP; 14th October 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Wow, JJ!

If that doesn't pull in a thousand contestants nothing will. Wow! Again
    (and Unctuous, that music is smack bang on target! )

I don't know your Big Plans, but maybe release a second one with some one-on-one action, so somehow show what it's all about? I know, the first teaser has only just been released and now I demand more...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

this is freakin awesome yes. Freakin awesome isn't enough though. Put a HUGE link to your post in the first one of this thread. JJPAP you must put that on your youtube account as soon as you can! this is one of the most impressive stuff I've seen since... The official wipeout hd/fury advertisings lol. OMG the dance. A thousand contestants mic? Billions yeah!!! LOL
    Last edited by kanar; 27th September 2010 at 07:00 PM.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

Regarding the ZB issue - remember that the idea of the cup is to make it as simple as possible, so I think it's best to go with the "each player must choose at least two modes" option; the modes being:

Weps On
    Weps Off
    ZB
    Green (I'm not sure on this one, but it's up to everyone else.)

If one person does not have the Fury DLC, then they don't have to choose 2 different modes.

Just my $0.02.

JJ - That was a fantastic video, I was really impressed Have a on me
    Last edited by Dark_Phantom_89; 27th September 2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Personally I think all this is complicating something very simple. A few of the pilots in this comp will be playing on the slower classes and wont stand a chance with the ZB, green or weps off side to it. To make them pick something they don't feel comfortable with is a sure fire way to stop them playing.

The Avalon rules work fine for me. I don't see why it needs to be changed. If I came up against someone who played 3 ZBs and I lost them all and then he won one of my phantom races then fine, I lost because he was the better all round player.

Just my thoughts, but majority rules

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

Just leaving it like it is would be the best, imo.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, the teaser rocks big time, JJPAP, great job!

We have got a brand new competitor 'ID_7of9'

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

you'll be free to accept these 3 ZB KGB, if you're up to. And you'll be free to ask for at least one single race if you're against ProblemSolver. Well no, he didn't signed yet lol. I know there's some pilots around who don't like no weapon races, so if someone is coming with 3 no weapon races, his opponent could ask for at least one another mode. Same thing for a weapons allergic.

But as I said, if there's common agreement (during the 72h delay to exchange track infos) on the 6 choices, it's really up to you guys.
    Last edited by kanar; 27th September 2010 at 09:45 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    The Avalon rules work fine for me. I don't see why it needs to be changed. If I came up against someone who played 3 ZBs and I lost them all and then he won one of my phantom races then fine, I lost because he was the better all round player
    i agree with that !

PSN ID
    mrconkin

Just got word of this from a psn friend. Still open?

PSN: mrconkin

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ONlocke

I'll stand by the old rules, they work like a charm. Not that I'm afraid to try something new.

Communication is key!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I think the point originally, at least partly, was that someone who has spent most of their time on zone and zone battle has enough skill that they could jump into normal races and potentially gain the edge with luck there, whereas the opposite isn't really true, as there is no random element to zone battles. I kind of see the point there really.

In terms of being an all around pilot, this game is not just races or zone battles. What about all the TT/SL fans? That's a big part of the game too. Weapons off races are probably the best way to include something like that as we don't have online TT and green races are a non-official type of race. Weapons off and weapons on races are a very different prospect, IMO, and I think that's clear when we see that certain people can sometimes win a load of weapons on races, but then not have the accuracy and consistency in their racing to win out in the weapons off races.

I also feel that having a racing bias is fine, because that's what the game itself has. More game modes are based around racing than they are around zone, and online races are really the backbone of the online community, whereas ZB is far less popular.

The Avalon Cup hasn't gotten very far yet and so I don't really know how the current rules will play out, but I think anything that encourages a little variation is a good thing, as long as it doesn't force someone to pick something unfamiliar as part of their own three choices.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    What you want to do if pilot assist is asked for, I say let them use it if they want to, as we old timers know it slows you down, so it's not really going to be an advantage to anybody that needs it.
    I disagree with this. It's not as simple as PA just slowing you down. It's a matter of PA not allowing you too close to walls, thus preventing you taking tighter lines and doing shortcuts etc. But that only matters above a certain skill level when we start looking to really improve. But this competition is open to all, and some competitors in early rounds may even struggle with not hitting walls (I swear I still do sometimes). Someone at that level could get ripped off if they were doing their utmost to race at their best, while their opponent, of similar skill, just sat there holding the x-button and got lucky with weapons pads, or just stayed out of the walls on Moa Therma, thus having higher shield when the two start lag ramming each other and survived as a results, or something like that. I admit, it's a theoretical situation which is, perhaps, unlikely to happen, but I just think it should be turned off, and we should all fly ourselves to the finish line.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

I completely agree with Saturn for the first part of the post. I guess Weapons OFF are the closest to TT as it gets online. Basically, you have just convinced me of the fact it is a completely different mode. So I think the following rule is our best bet

"You have to pick at least two different modes, the modes being W-ON, W-OFF and ZB."

It keeps things simplest and it's quite all-round, if not a bit single race oriented. But since that is played the most by far, I guess it's a good representation. You can also still have 2 ZBs which is nice for those who want it.

----------------------------------------------------

As for PA, I think we'll all agree on the fact that a player who needs PA is never gonna be good enough to win a 7-race match up. They won't be a 'threat', and thus won't threaten the fairness of this competition.

Besides, if we are allowing ANY pilot whatsoever (taking part is what matters), then they should have the possibility to use it. If you don't allow PA, that's like saying you need to have a certain skill level in order to participate. But we have already clearly stated literally any pilot can participate.

PA allowed, imo

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Ah, PA. I believe it won't be a big deal there, I'm not sure a PA pilot can really be annoying when you're only 2 on the track, and tbh if you're using PA that means you're errrr... Well you won't stand a chance in this cup. You could ask the question to your opponent during the 72h exchanging information delay, but seriously I'm doubting to hear any report of a PA user during this cup. So it remains "as is", I mean we don't talk about that, it's kinda tolerated but won't be a big deal anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

thanks to kanar, who drew my attention to this thread (because I've become an ignorant forum-browser in the last months ) I will definitely take the offer to participate in this biggest and hopefully not last HD Cup!