Page 4 of 130 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wipeout HD Cup

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Aka-sho

Thank you for inviting to "Wipeout HD cup".
    I will join in this events, and translate to my japanese wipEout fansite/blog soon.

WipEout Japanese fansite - [WIPEOUT 推進委員会]
    http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa.../7230/wipeout/

We love wipEout all over the world.

PSN ID
    Jodiroga

I'm in!

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

I've got a message from 'muldoon2k9' and 'imre92' that they are joining the party. Hopefully by Aka-sho we are going to get most of the Japanese wipers to get in it too

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

oh - my - god. this stuff is looking so impressive already. Everyone at the command center made a fantastic job, giving to this cup a serious badass look! We're at the middle of the spamfest, ONlock & R3BU5ER are now spammer experts awesome job guys so far.
    Aka-sho!!!! thanks a lot for your support, we really wanted to involve the fantastic Japanese wipeout family into this cup, and now you're here!
    abukii, jodiroga, Luri, thanks a lot for your posts & for joining!!! jeez this stuff is growing days after days, at an unexpected rate. So, what about targetting 256 pilots now

The Wipeout HD cup
    "For the record"
    ALL INFOS/RESERVATIONS HERE

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

I'm a bit confused with the rules. Can you actually choose to play Zone Battle 3 times if you wanted to?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Yes Jav. I'm a speed lapper myself, and a single race lover most of the time. But, I'm respecting so much zone mode. I'm a complete noob at zone battle, but it's a fantastic one, ProblemSolver & lots of great pilots could testify about that. So that's why I decided to include zone battles (and so yes you can pick 3 ZB), this for rewarding the most complete/all around pilots. Jeez need to involve ProblemSolver on this one lol, by any means necessary .

Even if you're not a zone battle fan, and on the most dramatic "case" lol (means 3 zone battle oppositions), single race will always prevail, as round 7 is default single race rapier.

Are you in Jav btw
    Last edited by kanar; 26th September 2010 at 11:02 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

Ok then. Well I was just asking since I've whored out Zone as well, with the odd world record here and there. Not that it matters, I just think being able to do 3 Zone Battles is unfair. Why? Just because I play Zone the most (or used to) doesn't necessarily mean I'm bad at normal races. Like you, I really like speed laps too

Now, say my opponent has not played Zone Battle much at all. Let's agree with the fact I win all 3 Zone Battle races. In that case I have 4 races remaining and I only have to win 1. Don't you think that's a bit odd?

I suggest the following: if someone decides to play 3 Zone Battles, it's the opponent who gets to decide the tracks. That should at least balance it out a little.

I'm not the best pilot on here by any means, and it's not like the odds for me to go through would improve if this were to happen. I just think it would be better Please think about it, or if you don't like the suggestion I could come up with something else...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

Im in! Although i will need dates and times a few days in advance, school can sometimes mess up my WO schedule

I hope most people will choose phantom, the last time i raced anything else was in the campaign two years ago
    Last edited by jan709; 26th September 2010 at 11:22 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ONlocke

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Ok then. Well I was just asking since I've whored out Zone as well, with the odd world record here and there. Not that it matters, I just think being able to do 3 Zone Battles is unfair. Why? Just because I play Zone the most (or used to) doesn't necessarily mean I'm bad at normal races. Like you, I really like speed laps too

Now, say my opponent has not played Zone Battle much at all. Let's agree with the fact I win all 3 Zone Battle races. In that case I have 4 races remaining and I only have to win 1. Don't you think that's a bit odd?

I suggest the following: if someone decides to play 3 Zone Battles, it's the opponent who gets to decide the tracks. That should at least balance it out a little.

I'm not the best pilot on here by any means, and it's not like the odds for me to go through would improve if this were to happen. I just think it would be better Please think about it, or if you don't like the suggestion I could come up with something else...
    That's right, first to 4 wins, goes to the next round. What's not fair about that?

If you don't want the match to end so quickly, you could mix it up, say, first one of your maps, then one of your opponents.

This is how most competitions are arranged, and if your opponent can't play zone battles very well, he/she will simply be left in the dust.

Personally I don't see the problem with one player being better than the other.

I for one, suck at zone battles! Err, maybe I shouldn't have said that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Thanks a lot for joining guys! Jan709, it's totally up to you for your 3 choices (speed class, br or no brs, single race or ZB, number of laps), and same for your opponent (3 choices too). Only round 7 is default single race, anulpha rapier.

Jav. I think you raised an important point there; thanks for that .

MMMm. I totally see your point. But then, I can't get out of my head the fact zone battle users are maybe more all around players than me, for example, as I only spent my life in speed lap mode. So yes, there's 2 solutions;

-keeping a 3 ZB possibility, and assuming the fact ZB users will have maybe a slight advantage (because they explored more the game and its possibilities)

-Restricting ZB to 2 rounds per opponent, and give to this cup a single race oriented aspect.

Fact is Fury extension isn't a requirement for the cup anyway, so I think the two choices are both interesting; waiting for your thoughts guys & gals

TBH I feel like ONlock on this one; there's a part of me saying "it's fair, ZB is awesome, even if I suck at it", and the other part saying "jeez I havn't spend all this time in speed lap to loose like that" . But hey, ProblemSolver told me that long time ago ah ah "you should play more Zone modes
    Last edited by kanar; 26th September 2010 at 12:06 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

I don't think we should allow 3 ZBs. The difference between Zone Battle and Single Races is that with Zone Battle, you can't really get lucky. The better player always comes out on top on Zone Battle because of how the mode works. If you're not good enough, hitting zone barriers is inevitable and you're not likely to have many perfect laps, etc. Especially when the target is zone 55, the better player has enough time to make the difference.

Now, single race. Even when you're structurally better than your opponent at this mode, you could still make a small mistake in just 1 race and you would be out (assuming the other player has won ZB 3 times). Luck (or bad luck) plays a much bigger role in single races. Mess up a boost, a sharp turn or even a barrel roll and you could be out. What if, on Ubermall, you fail the shortcut right after the start? You get respawned and you have lost the race. What if you take the sharp Chenghou turn just a little too early and end up hitting the side of the track? Lost the race. What if you fail the overpass BR on Anulpha and don't land on the overpass? Race over. The thing is, you are somewhat forced to take these risks as you HAVE to win all 4 remaining races.

I'm gonna think of the best solution and report back later.
    Last edited by Jav; 26th September 2010 at 12:27 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 3
    PSN ID
    ma3oony_na

im glad to join the race

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

mmm right Jav; arh too bad I can't add a poll in the thread, would have been easier to know what the people think about this issue. So any thought is welcome guys.

Actual discussion :

Would you guys like to see zone battle restricted to a maximum of 2 per opponent?

The Wipeout HD cup
    "For the record"
    ALL INFOS/RESERVATIONS HERE
    Last edited by kanar; 26th September 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I really want to be a part of this! If it is sometime after the 20th of December I will be able to play. How long is this event expected to last?

Well, kanar and Assayeah are both fantastic pilots I've recently raced against, and couldn't touch them in race mode. But I play Zone a lot more and so when I asked for some Zone Battles against them, I beat them both. I knew both of them had a weakness for ZB but I chose it because - well - I enjoy it.

Somehow I think that though Race is an integral part of the WOHD community, if you get the fury expansion pack it doesn't just mean a few mods to the ships and the Piranha suddenly becoming even worse. Just as TT, SL and Zone were all parts of HD, if we're playing Fury we have to be able to play Eliminator, Detonator and Zone Battle.

If kanar wants to make a two-race ZB option, then he should make it for two races and one ZB from both people. Otherwise, the point of the cup is to have fun and if you find ZB fun, why should you be stopped from playing it? If you haven't bothered to play all the modes of Fury and can't do ZB, I think you've missed a big part of the game, Jav.

PSN ID
    Reezellthia

I'll take part.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

no no Challenger, Jav loves zone battle lol, he was just wondering if it's kinda fair at a global level playing field. But for the moment, I still believe a no zone battle restriction is the way to go. But please guys, keep giving your thoughts on that matter!!!

Unctuous, we should begin in the middle of december, I'm putting you in the pending list, as each meeting has a 3 weeks delay to be played, that should be good timing for you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Kurlija

Personally, I play HD online for the races. I absolutely suck at Zone Battle so I wouldn't mind seeing less of that

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

IMO it must be possible for each participant to be able of choosing the mode he knows the most. Maybe with some limitations ! for example we can decide by voting that single race is the mandatory mode (with or without weapons, all classes) and that one single race must be part of the 3 event's choice.
    And i could be a way to attract some members that don't play a lot classic online modes !
    As an example if an adversary challenges you in an eliminator or detonator event, he'll have to manage a tt/sl challenge

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

Damn guys, if it Goes om like this, the tournament really is going to be epic!
    Already so many slots filled, and so much time still untill the kickoff
    About THE ZB discussion: my opinion is that it is a online battle option, so people are Free to choose it, but mainly the event is focussed on single race, so the suggestion of having at least one single race in your 3 course choise sounds pretty fair to me. i vote for that one. The option GREEN is more of Ã* concern for me. I think it has no added value at all, it's more like roulette to me. Of I pick up 3 boost and the other 1, Then it's Already done. I've got big problems with that. I would say Just choose between weps on or off. That's it. Anybody??