Page 6 of 130 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wipeout HD Cup

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I see your point about people who don't have the Fury DLC obviously not being able to play in ZB races, but I don't think they should be denied a chance to play in the WC based solely on that reason, mainly because ZB is played by so few who do have Fury anyway.

We could stipulate in the promotion that it is strongly recommended that anybody wishing to enter the WC have the Fury DLC, so that if the opponent they are drawn against requests ZB as their selection, then they are obliged to either get the Fury DLC and compete or forfeit those races.

There's two decisions we could make with this that would make matters clear cut.
    1] At least one Zone Battle race is to be selected and raced by each player [no opting out of this] = Fury DLC required for entry.
    Problem arises when neither player likes ZB, which I can see happening quite a bit, plus it would deter possible entry into the tournament from people who read that they have to race at least 2 ZB races when it this race mode holds no interest for them, or they don't have or want to get the Fury DLC.

So basically IMHO it's a bad call if you want to attract pilots into the WC by making ZB mandatory or Fury DLC ownership for that matter.

2]Then you have the more relaxed option, if you can race Zone Battle at the request of your drawn opponent then you are obliged to accept the challenge.
    Same goes for Fury tracks generally, if you draw somebody who doesn't have the pack but your choice was from it, well tough luck, plenty of other HD tracks to choose from.

Most people will have Fury anyway, so I think it would be very rare for this problem to occur, plus we are not alienating potential contestants from the start by making the tournament more relaxed in structure.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 27th September 2010 at 06:14 AM.

wooo count me in!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    AiiRW0LF

I missed the Avalon Cup but i would love to take part in this,so count me in!
    Last edited by AiiRW0LF; 27th September 2010 at 06:37 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Already told you on WOArena, but count me in too Kanar please

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

@blackwiggle :
    lol i forgot that everybody didn't purchased the fury dlc !
    But it gave me an idea :
    when you meet an opponent with fury, you should be able to choose zb, eliminator or detonator mode, and if you (or your opponent) only own HD, you should be able to select zone, sl or tt mode (for the proof it's easy to send at your adversary through psn an ingame picture with hud activated for zone or sl mode, for tt or detonator i have no idea yet). about offline modes it can be possible for the opponents to start together and to decide of a time like 15 mn session or something. Well i don't know if it's possible to organize but it can add variety and attract people that like essentially offline modes (wowo's idea ), and also make some to race some mode they never do and to give more chances at those who're better at some modes than in multiplayer races.
    Of course half of the challenge will be classic online races (or tournament) but to make a grand final we must try to use the game at his full potential, no ?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

!!!!
    Goooood morning guys. First and foremost, wanted to say .

90 reservations in one week. That's just completely nut. Big thanks to all, I've no words for that... Just awesome!

Regarding the issues discussed above ; TBH all your inputs guys are really great, there's tons of good ideas that we could try, but if you're checking the reservation list, you can easily imagine great but complicated rules couldn't be applied.
    As Blackwiggle said, the format really needs to be set in stone quickly. Saaadly we don't have wipeout HD TV to relay our talks here, or detailed/elaborated/stratified rules. So I'm going to stay UBER simple and go with Saturn here :

-Both players have to pick at least two different modes (modes are single race weapons, single race no weapons, zone battle).

BUT

Here are the "hidden rules"
    If the 2 opponents are reaching a common agreement : They can pick WHATEVER they want. Green races is going to hidden rules too.
    Even wanted to add an easter egg to that like "In case of draw before round 7, and if the opponents are both owning the Blur game, they can play their last round on this game" ... But I think it's too much ah ah.

The Wipeout HD cup
    "For the record"
    ALL INFOS/RESERVATIONS HERE
    Last edited by kanar; 27th September 2010 at 08:23 AM.

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

Good morning there

I agree Kanar, I think the rules are properly settled now.
    Gor a message from a new competitor: 'fabimus' is in!

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

And 'valy91' also in, whoei!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

ok just wanted to tease you guys a little bit, but JJPAP's revelation teaser is OUTSTANDING. Stay tuned for the upcoming link , should be available in a few hours!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ONlocke

kanar you tease!

Don't wait too long though! I'm off to work in a couple of hours.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

Quote Originally Posted by ONlock View Post
    I understand what you are trying to say Jav, but truly, I do not see the point, so let me get this straight:

Old rules:

Racer Vs Racer: 7 single races <---------- (If they really want to)

Zoner Vs Zoner: 6 zone battles and 1 single race <---------- (Again, if they really want to)

Racer Vs Zoner: 4 single races and 3 zone battles

Your rules:

Racer Vs Racer: 5 single races and 2 zone battles <---------- (If these guys want to play 7 single races, why shouldn't they be able to?)

Zoner Vs Zoner: 3 single races and 4 zone battles <---------- (If these guys want to play 6 zone battles and 1 single race, why shouldn't they be able to?)

Racer Vs Zoner: 4 single races and 3 zone battles <---------- (See any similarity with the old rules?)

If I understood your rules correctly, this is what I get.

As I said, I understand what you are trying to do, but it just doesn't work for me. The result of doing it your way would simply be; to force diversity into other peoples games, when they can have more fun by deciding what to play themselves.

Only good thing I see from it, is that the racers would get some much needed zone battle practice.

Just my 5 cents.
    They shouldn't be able to because I thought we had all agreed on the fact we wanted to reward the all-round pilots? In my set-up you need to be able to perform in both game modes. Also, I would like to point out a difference in the Racer vs. Zoner one. It may look the same but it isn't. In "my" rules the Zoner picks 2 ZB tracks and 1 race track. He will most likely pick his best race track and so he has a chance of winning it. The racer will also pick his favourite ZB map so that he also has a chance of winning it. In the old rules however, the ZB would pick 3 ZB tracks and the racer would pick his 3 race tracks, making it harder for the Zoner to win a race (and vica versa) because it may not be his favourite race track. In my rules it's more balanced.

It is balanced, it's fair, it's all-round and most of all, it's simple. YES there is gonna a lot of Racer vs. Racer match-ups but they should at least have to play Zone Battle so that being all-round would be rewarded, right? I thought that much was clear.

But apparently not. I can't say I'm feeling a lot of sympathy from you guys for the Zone Battle mode in general. I ask all of you, do we want to reward all-round players? Because you might as well scrap ZB entirely if the answer to that is no.

Kanar:

By seeing Weapons ON and Weapons OFF as two different modes, you can have a 7-race match-up. If that's really what you want to allow, then okay. Also, 'racers' have the advantage in this scenario: 3 races is possible but 3 zone battles is not.
    Sooo... we go from agreeing on the fact we want to reward all-round pilots, to a potential 7-race match-up.
    All that within just 24 hours...

Make it:

Both players have to pick at least two different modes, the modes being:

Single Race
    Zone Battle
    Last edited by Jav; 27th September 2010 at 10:43 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

it's up to JJPAP, soooorry, as it's on a private webpage for now lol. Oh, ONE MORE NEWS :

Back from his retirement and his apartment on Moa, The EXTREME Shortcut Master is IN. The guy who found most of the secrets of HD is IN.

PIRHAPAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this line up is ****ing AMAZING.

EDIT : Jav just saw your post right now after posting mine, I'll read that in a bit as I'm currently on my lunch break. SOooo, BRB ah ah

BACK.
    Well. In my mind, here are the actual settings :

If you & your opponent are agreeing on your 6 choices, during the 72h information exchange delay

====> you're free to play whatever you want. (play wipeout hd please though)

If you & your opponent are not agreeing on your 6 choices, during the 72h information exchange delay

====>you guys must choose at least 2 different modes. (by modes I mean weapons/no weapons/zone battle)

So here, I'm admitting this cup is going to be a bit single race oriented, as there will be an inevitable limitation to 2 zone battles (in the worst case). But Fury isn't a requirement anyway, so there's some kind of justification here about the max 2 ZB limitation (in the worst case the 2 opponents don't agree on anything)
    Last edited by kanar; 27th September 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JJPAP

The WipEout HD Cup (We can dance - if you want to?) will be up for anybody by tonight the latest.
    Working on some minor details.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

Quote Originally Posted by kanar View Post
    BACK.
    Well. In my mind, here are the actual settings :

If you & your opponent are agreeing on your 6 choices, during the 72h information exchange delay

====> you're free to play whatever you want.

If you & your opponent are not agreeing on your 6 choices, during the 72h information exchange delay

====>you guys must choose at least 2 different modes. (by modes I mean weapons/no weapons/zone battle)

So here, I'm admitting this cup is going to be a bit single race oriented, as there will be an inevitable limitation to 2 zone battles (in the worst case). But Fury isn't a requirement anyway, so there's some kind of justification here about the max 2 ZB limitation (in the worst case the 2 opponents don't agree on anything)
    Hmmm, it sounds decent but here's my what I think. Communication should not play a part in deciding the rules, because of this:

SO OFTEN (I have experienced this with other games a lot and it's really annoying), you try to communicate with your opponent, but he just won't reply, or he will take ages to. Communication can really delay the whole tournament. That's why I'm not a big fan of big tournys with a lot of players involved you don't know well. It usually goes like this:

Me: Hey, looks like you'll be my next opponent! When are you available?
    Me: Yo?
    (3 days later)
    Player B: yo eh sry man I been away, how about tomorrow afternoon man, see you then peace lol
    Me: Huh? What time zon-

*Player B has gone offline*

Me: ARGH. What time zone are you in? When can you play? And we haven't even agreed on what modes and tracks?
    (2 days later)
    Player B: yo where were you man, I said yesterday afternoon and you didnt show up pfft. Jeeeez man
    Me: What?! I tried to set this race up when you suddenly went offl-

*Player B has gone offline*

Me: I give up.

--------------------------

Just saying... Past experiences have taught me that it usually doesn't work. But hey, it could be different this time... I hope.
    Last edited by Jav; 27th September 2010 at 11:58 AM.

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

I can really understand your concerns jav, but I must say, I've never met such polite, cool and trustable players in any game (online). As in wipeout. Really. I think rverybody who participates is really going for this, so don't worrie mate, do not jet bring up the problems where there ain't none.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

totally agree there Jav, as we're currently experiencing these kind of situations at the avalon cup (well at least we had minor issues, & currently working on the Falcopelle case, I promise KGB, tonight). So that's why we'll be UBER STRICTS with the 72h information exchange delay. We MUST have a strong cup community manager crew, in order to report any troubleshootings with this so important rule. 72h in order to set 6 choices, agree on all of them without restrictions, or finally go with the default settings (2 different modes obligation)

I know we'll have to adopt a raptor-style for the cup community managing, smelling any MIA pilots at a long distance lol. But we're already 26 at the command center working on this cup, I should find a good crew of cup community managers.
    27 now, as you joined lol.
    Last edited by kanar; 27th September 2010 at 12:09 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

Nice to know others have these concerns too. And thanks for letting me in Yep, I think being very strict is the way to go then. If a player is not active, it should be reported immediately. There should be 2 or 3 (maybe 4) people who can be messaged to report such things. Community managers, like you said.

Everyone needs to know that communication should be as clear as possible. So when messaging your upcoming opponent, mention the time zone you're in, mention when you're available, mention what your preferred modes and tracks are. We will want communication to play a minimal role before the games so it should all happen very swiftly. 2-3 messages should be enough.

After all there's nothing quite as annoying as an inactive opponent.

Who gets wipeout and doesn't get FURY>? face palm right there.
    I can guarantee that 100% of the people on these forums have got fury.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Rob doesn't have it

The Wipeout HD cup
    "For the record"

ALL INFOS/RESERVATIONS HERE

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Ok, make it info needed to enter the cup.
    1]PSN ID * &/ or Forum you saw invite/applied to join from[that's if we are going down this route, makes it easier to trace recalcitrant pilots ]
    2] Country of origin* and time difference from GMT*
    3]Availability to race or days that can NOT race, in GMT*
    4]How did you find out about the WC/who invited you?
    5]Somebody else who is on your friends list who is either involved with the WC or invited you, and can contact you if needed to inform you of your race opponent draw & race schedule if needed.*

Maybe?
    But I don't really see the point.
    6]Preferred race type/speed class

* donates must have info
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 27th September 2010 at 01:47 PM.