Page 2 of 130 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wipeout HD Cup

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

well thank you guys for answering to my call so quickly! Triboy that's exactly what I'm talking about, I mean slowly but surely spread the info through the internet, and local communities. I'm French and I know how much it can be difficult to understand something here, but hey, why not moving some mountains in the next few months uh?

First basic step is to gather the maximum of people here, old guard, new aces, and most important the people who are just playing wipeout HD casually but frequenting these boards; guys our motto will always be the same, right from the start; "The most important thing is not to win but to take part!"
    Would be more than awesome to motivate some wipeout ghosts too, like Wellington, Pirah, Kingheim, evolite, well you see the missing pilot thread lol.
    In the meantime, I'm trying to set up a group of "community managers", simply based on the organisation at the avalon cup; I mean Darkdrium777 helping me with his nice board, and lots of people like Saturn or others giving a hand from time to time, answering in the thread instead of me or dealing wth a few issues and so on, you get the picture I think.

Oh for sure, I have an idea of what could be needed for this project :
    -pictures, like ONlock said (ONlock will try to help me during his spare time), boards...
    -teasers about the wipeoutZone cup
    -Communications through the internet gaming boards (even officials sony boards) all over the world

Arh enough with this crazy **** for now. Oh just wanted to finish quoting Rob ...

"We are fast. We are unique. We are nine." (this for the old legendary guard )

The WipeoutZone cup Project
    ALL INFOS HERE
    Last edited by kanar; 20th September 2010 at 07:51 PM.

PSN ID
    erich123

Me is in

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IndoorSnowStorm

I'll be glad to take part!

We could try the Escapist, though I have an uncomfortable feeling it might result in a Zero Punctuation on HD/Fury. XD

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

I'm in!

I also have a suggestion, Kanar. I dunno how long it would take for everyone, it may not be unanimous, but i'll share my idea anyway.

To prevent the "death sentence" situation lots of us faced during the Avalon Cup (me included xD), why not do a 2 out 3 for every 1 on 1 showdown? A single Avalon Cup showdown was kinda quick anyway, so 3 of them shouldn't take much more than 1 hour. If we base ourselves on the average time a Single Race takes - 2 minutes x 6 races (3 for each pilots), we have 12 minutes total. Add the 2 extra minutes for the final race, we get 14, rounded up to 15 minutes. So within 45 minutes approx., we're done. How about that?

Now i know the a WipEoutZone Cup may be much bigger than the Avalon Cup (even more with WipEoutArena people). I know it will take much more time than doing a single round and that most probably some people won't be playing Single Race Mode only. But at least it would give much more chances to make our mark, even more if unfair lag is involved. Think about it and let me know!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

mmm. That needs reflexion here Kyonshi for sure, as we're already on our way to reduce the round duration to a best of 5 instead of the previous best of 7, for even more efficiency.

2 out 3 mm. Yeah we could imagine a first best of 5, hosted by opponent 1. (away), then best of 5, same tracks, hosted by opponent 2 (Home). But in case of draw, I think we could just replay the same consolidation track previously played (during round 5).

About the consolidation track, I think a good choice could be anulpha pass rapier weapons on, for the entire duration of the cup, as it's the most played track as far as I know. The major issue regarding this format could be, to my opinion;
    -zone battle : these rounds are longer than single races.
    -rules are becoming a bit more harder to understand, although we should be able to sort this out with basics explanations lol.

"For the record"
    ALL INFOS
    HERE

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I'm not sure there's any way that we can really account for lag. It could be the closest match ever, but the losing player would always be able to point out at least one point where they were affected by lag and therefore could feel hard done by. I think that's human nature really, and don't see a way around it unless we play in the same room as each other.

I can appreciate the point about it being a very short competition for anyone with a tough draw and an early exit. I feel that's the nature of a straight knockout though. Maybe qualifying group phases are worth considering. Or maybe there is some original way in which the first round can be extended, e.g. do a best of 3 or best of 5 but do it against 2 or 3 other players. But the longer and more complex it becomes, the harder it will be to organise, especially if non-regulars are to be getting involved.

Whatever happens, just make sure the Japanese get involved this time.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

@Saturn

I was really talking about an ultra-tight photo finish, but more specifically about the random collisions with a solid ghost, which can cost the race in most occasions. I should have made this clearer.

I'm aware we can't do nothing about these issues. But having more race opportunities with a 2 best of 3 would give a chance to get back in the competition somehow.

PSN ID
    Chesterknight

i'm in to kanar.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Thanks for joining Chesterknight !

Sat I'm really fond of this round robin idea, but I'm finding it impossible to set up if we have lot of non WZ pilots. Communication will be the sinews of war for sure, so we'll have to stay on strict and uber simple rules. So I'm thinking about 2 choices regarding the rules.

First pick : strict best of 7, exactly like the avalon cup, with anulpha pass default rapier race as Round 7. 3 tracks Home hosting, then 3 tracks away hosting, round 7 hosted by away if necessary.

Second pick :
    Best of 5, home & away tourneys :
    5 tracks home hosting (opponent 1 (home) hosting his 3 choices + 2 choices of opponent 2) THEN
    5 tracks away hosting (opponent 2 (away) hosting his 3 choices + 2 choices of opponent 1)
    FINAL ROUND OF DEATH in case of draw : default anulpha pass rapier hosted by away opponent.

"For the record"
    ALL INFOS/RESERVATIONS
    HERE

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

I am of course in too, but 128 players? Ambitious! If you manage to pull this off, you really should get a race-mode named after you

I would be all for keeping the 7 races from the Avalon Cup. IMO it's enough races to rule out any accidents/coincidences/luck etc. 7 races is also relatively fast to get done, the ~20 minutes it takes is a lot easier to arrange than having to invest 1-2 hours into each meeting (disregarding the triboy/DJT marathon ). With 64 matches in the first round, you'll want something that's super easy to set up. As the tournament progresses, then maybe increase the number of races?

Edit: Oh... Saturn wrote pretty much the same, just much better. I'm with Sat

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

lol mic, I just want to see wipeout HD in the spotlights, no more
    Yeah I'm finding the best of 7 pretty cool regarding the chosen cup format. Motto is really to keep it fast, fair & simple, because this time we should do our best to involve everyone on earth with an AG ship sleeping in his garage. 128 pilots is our goal, because this is for the record.

Wipeout HD deserves a nice blaze of glory.

(I'm actually extracting psn IDs datas from my previous avalon threads, ONlock I'll contact you in a few days on that matter, planning a massive psn cup advertising campaign. (Guys feel free to contact me if you wanna help me to spam XXX psn inboxes lol)

Oh a basic translation of the cup infos in Italian, Spanish, German & Japanese would be awesome too. Tri you said you'll spread the infos through Polish forums, that's already a good point.
    Last edited by kanar; 21st September 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Email Zico & get him involved

although seriously you (or peeps in the know ) could ask some development staff? if you asked nicely

reminds me off the a team intro.
    "i... and if you can find them maybe you can hire..."

Last edited by Nutcase:259; 21st September 2010 at 01:10 PM.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

For what it's worth I think the settings should remain the same as the current Avalon Cup (7 races / zone battles). It seems to have worked well and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I assume I'm wasting my time asking for an Eliminator option? ;-)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

you're right Nutcase, I'm working on a psn ids listing to spam first atm, but I'll send some pms to the wo devs registered here, finger crossed they'll check their inboxes. I'm thinking aboout a first wave of psn pms, then pms here, then posts on other websites, official sony's boards included. A pic & shooting teaser wave would be awesome, as we already have lots of thematics like "for the record", "the wipeout cup" "project overlord"

Oh, about eliminator. Well, maybe we could allow one "eliminator card" for each opponent? We can talk about that too for sure, if people are interested.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JJPAP

Haven´t read all the posts ´bout the rules, but I´m - of course! - definately in!

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

Hey this time I'm in! Probably gonna get my Ass kicked, bit I'm masochistic in Ã* way offtop: since the psn update this afternoon, i can't het online :s says my password is wrong, but it's defenitly not. What's up with That??

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

general psn maintenance for the 3d update stuff mate, until tomorrow I think. Thanks a lot for joining, and for your pm!

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

Ahh, how can I say no to this? Count me in Kanar

PSN ID
    triboy

Its about maintenance maybe: http://www.community.eu.playstation..../td-p/11525112
    Kanar, the info is already spread