Thread: Just had a lot of fun getting the Gemini trophy -- with 1 player!

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Default Just had a lot of fun getting the Gemini trophy -- with 1 player!

So I finally got a second controller -- saw the rare FFXIII Lightning PS3 in a shop for cheap and decided to buy it and eBay it to fund my next trip home -- and realized that I had the chance to finally get two trophies that I'm missing.

"Stats Life" was easy as it came with my first split-screen race. The only stat I hadn't seen yet.

Now for "Gemini". I've got a second controller, but no second player: my beloved future wife doesn't have much of a desire to play HD (she loves Fusion and will do TTs over and over on Florion Heights, though ), leaving me to somehow get this myself.

So I load up a Racebox single race and finish the race with P1, leaving P2 there doing nothing. But the race doesn't end until P2 finishes! So I had to plck up that controller and race three laps again.

Takes much too much time. How can I make this more enjoyable? Then I get an idea: I'll control both ships at the same time.

Pilot Assist does most of the steering for you, right? And Anulpha Pass has very few walls to mess you up. So I load up that track, put the controllers on the floor, and put my right middle finger and thumb on the two accelerators. Just doing this will in fact get you through the race, but it isn't much fun just sitting there waiting for the race to be over.

So now for the challenging and fun part: the goal is to get your two ships to finish in first and second place, while manipulating both at the same time.

I really got into it -- if I got a rocket for the 5th-place left ship when the right ship was in 4th, I wasn't about to use it! Same for mines if my "partner" is right behind me.

An autopilot was gold -- use it right before any kind of turn, and my ship will make the turn a lot better than any pilot-assist could. Speed boosts were used on straightaways, where I could let the ship fly without worrying about it hitting walls. All kinds of things became interesting when dealing with the handicap of having one ally nearby that you don't want to hurt -- and of course you can never devote 100% of your attention to just one controller!

I was able to succeed on Anulpha Pass several times, and then tried Vineta K. This was harder because there's a point where an unattended ship will fly off to the right and hit a wall. So you've got to have your fingers ready to hit the left D-pad on occasion. The course is basically only left turns, though, so it's only a little more difficult. Next I tried the Amphiseum, which has turns in both directions, but they're easier to handle.

Eventually I finished 20 races and got the trophy, but not before having one very satisfying race where my two ships finished #1 and #2 within 0.06 seconds of each other.

A "true Gemini" player could maybe get both ships to really be "twins" and take the course at the exact same pace, and could thus easily make better turns since you could have both controllers doing the same thing at the same time.

And then I'm sure there are total maniacs who can actually control two ships simultaneously, with no pilot assist at all!

Does this sound like a really stupid challenge, or could it be fun? I was really enjoying it once I got the hang of it. I chose Rapier class as Venom seemed too slow and I was afraid Phantom would be too fast for even Pilot Assist to counteract. Rapier seemed just right.

(Mods, if you think this post belongs in the "Trophy Hints" thread or the "Challenges" section, feel free to move it.)

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

That's crazy, sounds fun too.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Hah, at least you had fun doing that. I had to force my wife to help me. 20 venom races, PA on for her. I think that was the first real test of our marriage... 'come on honey! Only 17 more to go!'

After a few races, she found a magazine and started reading while dutifully holding down X and letting PA do the races...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

I didn't have access to a 2nd controller
    What I did instead was reassign the controllers to select ships
    Then I eliminated Player 2 then finished the race with player 1
    It was time consuming >_>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXD-1Lg_ODM

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Default Spoiler:Zone Battle(Fury expansion required)

I remember getting my Gemini trophy with one player by playing Zone Battle and reassigning controls.I set Zone 15 as target ,Anulpha Pass and just let the "second player" die repeatedly as I just boosted to 16.After each zone battle,I just selected "Race Again".Easy and quick(and (I feel)cheap)way to get Gemini.

...I got it by playing with my brother. :/

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

FEISAR, your method sounds a lot more efficient than mine!

I've never made a YouTube video before, but I think I might try making one to show how I did this challenge.

Does anyone know if both ships gain loyalty points in 2-player matches? It looked like only one of them got points.

Only Player One's ship gets Loyalty Points.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Now that's pretty unfair!

(I had been thinking that they only displayed P1's points but that P2 was still getting them. The least they could do is let the higher-finishing ship get the points!)

PSN ID
    someguy789

I remember turning PA on for player 2 and using my toe to hold the X button on the 2nd controller so it was half way round the track when P1 finished

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KomatosRecords

Cool

My way of getting the Gemini trophy: I couldn't afford a second PS3 controller at $50 after buying my used PS3 & WO:HD back in March 2009, so I used my remote control for playing movies as a second controller. Assigned it as controller #2 in the system settings, fired up HD, chose Split Screen races, turned on Pilot Assist for both players, chose Venita K Venom Forward, and mashed the X button on both controller #1 and the remote for about an hour. Was sure the battery in the remote would die before I completed all 20 races, but thankfully it didn't. I have nobody around me who'll play Wipeout, so that was my only way to get the trophy.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

@someguy789:Use your toe to press down on a controller? Ew.
    @Xavier:I do have a younger bro,but he is not so good at WipEout without Pilot Assist. And I had the Fury Expansion with the multiplayer Zone Battle.Useless and waste of effort to do Syncopia 55 Zone Zone battle when you can do a 15 lap Zone Battle at the "newbie" track Anulpha Pass.

I feel cheap