Thread: Watering down the Class to win...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Default Watering down the Class to win...

I don't know if its the right term or figure of speech to describe this, but anyway...

I find it sooo childish that the host passes from Phantom to Rapier, or (s)lower Classes for that matter, to win against someone who's on a considerable streak or just to win straight away. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be the WipEout police and tell people what to do. But when it's so obvious, when i'm on a winning streak, i see more and more people do this. Don't know if it's been going around since a long time. Also, i can understand when the host is a newcomer or a low rank, low experience pilot. But when someone do this move, i just think it's kinda lame. Even more if the host is an outstanding pilot, starts the race right away, without giving people a chance to change ships...

Not trying to be deliberately offensive to anyone, but that's how it appears to me.

I find it worst than rage quit actually. I don't make a big fuss out of it though, it's nothing dramatic. And you people, how do you react to this?
    Last edited by Kyonshi; 7th September 2010 at 01:23 AM.

what are you saying kyoshi
    are you saying it is bad or cheap to lower the speed class to win ro are you saying it is cheap and bad to not allow a player the time to change the ship or leave the room.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I'll leave Brummpahh to defend his own actions, but I'll say now that I don't much like it when people start threads calling out individuals in such a way, seemingly without having spoken to them individually. To me that does seem like more of a fuss than is necessary, because it immediately makes it a bit personal. Not a fan, to be frank, or steve, if he's feeling frank. That came out wrong, but you get what I'm saying, i.e. talk to brumm for any issues with brumm.

Anyway, to answer the question in general: Yes, it is annoying when someone changes speed class and we don't get a chance to leave before the race starts, but there's a quit button in the pause menu. It doesn't really take that long to leave the game (unless it freezes or something), and the only negative impact is a possible loss of some ranking points, which I don't think many people are bothered about anyway. So although I find it a bit annoying, it's not a bit deal to me, and I'd never think it's because someone was trying to stop a specific person winning. Maybe to stop themselves getting blown up all the time at Phantom, but I doubt it would be an action so aimed at you Kyonshi, even if you were on a big winning streak.

PSN ID
    morfeo378

for example I personally do not mind the change of speed, so if it bothers me, is not giving time to change ship

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

When i'm host - i'll select mode. That's it.
    I gave enough time to select ship or leave
    or whatever. I'm best at rapier - so why don't
    select that ? Feel free to leave my room and go
    for a cool nice beer to calm down

pretty much how it is.

i have upped the speed from venom to phantom in my rooms cos i can do phantom ok.
    i have also gone from phantom down to venom too
    i allow time for ship changes and for players to leave.
    i see no problem in this and no one has ever complained though i do sometimes get requests which i do when im hosting so everyone has fun.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I usually pay little attention if the host has changed the race class or tracks until the race has started.
    It's a "your the host, surprise me" sort of attitude
    Phantom to Rapier is OK by me, Phantom to Venom though is too big a shock to the system, I think I'm suffering huge lag when the race first starts, until I look at the amount of laps, then it twigs it's Venom and I can go and make a cup of tea while racing.

Changing race type though annoys me, if I wanted to play Eliminator or Zone Battle [rare for me to play either] I would of chosen a different room.
    If I'm hosting and want to change race type and the room is full of people I don't know, I quit my own room, and then start another with the different race type.
    If it's friends in the room then I'll message the change Y/N and wait for the reply.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

First of all people, i'm not über-pissed off, fulminating all around about this issue, like i said in my first post.

I did not proceed with a personal attack against Brummpahh with this thread. I was more an interrogation regarding such way to react/act. To illustrate why i ask such things, i had to explain somehow what happened for me to point out the question, and that involved such skilled pilot like him. Maybe that's what lead you all to think i was secretly angry?

I said it and i say it again: i didn't say he was cheap/lame, only the move that seemed to be happening here. I know its easy to think i did. But again, it was not the case, and i still have respect toward him, and he knows that.

The answer your 1st question Jasmin, i think both are cheap.

Saturn, i know there's the Quit button and all. Maybe i didn't want to quit and try to search again for the very few Phantom rooms available these days, if there's any. With the introduction of PS+, a lot of newcomers are into WOHD and they don't necessary play Phantom. I actually did the race anyway also.

Brummpahh, again, i didn't want to hit you on the head, but i assume what i said and don't try to give lame excuses or change my comments like it was "just a joke". In opposite to what you said, you did not allowed some time to change ships and you keep the same track (Chenghou Reverse) to race on. Mostly that's what brought me to think this was kinda suspicious and cheap. It also crossed my mind that a pilot with expert skills such as you didn't need to do that, i was surprised of this. And again, it's not the only time i see this happening. Another reason why i came up here to ask people. People have aaaall the rights to do whatever they want while hosting, but sometimes its very hard to keep abstraction of the obviousness of changing Classes and start the race in a split second because the host is facing a losing streak, and not necessarily facing me. There's much better pilots than me out there, i don't try to buy pity out of people and say i SHOULD have won.

In the end, i didn't want to send you out in the bonfire. It could have been anybody, it's nothing personal. You're free to think whatever you want, but i'm saying this out of good will.
    Last edited by Kyonshi; 7th September 2010 at 01:24 AM.