Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watering down the Class to win...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Default Watering down the Class to win...

I don't know if its the right term or figure of speech to describe this, but anyway...

I find it sooo childish that the host passes from Phantom to Rapier, or (s)lower Classes for that matter, to win against someone who's on a considerable streak or just to win straight away. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be the WipEout police and tell people what to do. But when it's so obvious, when i'm on a winning streak, i see more and more people do this. Don't know if it's been going around since a long time. Also, i can understand when the host is a newcomer or a low rank, low experience pilot. But when someone do this move, i just think it's kinda lame. Even more if the host is an outstanding pilot, starts the race right away, without giving people a chance to change ships...

Not trying to be deliberately offensive to anyone, but that's how it appears to me.

I find it worst than rage quit actually. I don't make a big fuss out of it though, it's nothing dramatic. And you people, how do you react to this?
    Last edited by Kyonshi; 7th September 2010 at 01:23 AM.

what are you saying kyoshi
    are you saying it is bad or cheap to lower the speed class to win ro are you saying it is cheap and bad to not allow a player the time to change the ship or leave the room.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I'll leave Brummpahh to defend his own actions, but I'll say now that I don't much like it when people start threads calling out individuals in such a way, seemingly without having spoken to them individually. To me that does seem like more of a fuss than is necessary, because it immediately makes it a bit personal. Not a fan, to be frank, or steve, if he's feeling frank. That came out wrong, but you get what I'm saying, i.e. talk to brumm for any issues with brumm.

Anyway, to answer the question in general: Yes, it is annoying when someone changes speed class and we don't get a chance to leave before the race starts, but there's a quit button in the pause menu. It doesn't really take that long to leave the game (unless it freezes or something), and the only negative impact is a possible loss of some ranking points, which I don't think many people are bothered about anyway. So although I find it a bit annoying, it's not a bit deal to me, and I'd never think it's because someone was trying to stop a specific person winning. Maybe to stop themselves getting blown up all the time at Phantom, but I doubt it would be an action so aimed at you Kyonshi, even if you were on a big winning streak.

PSN ID
    morfeo378

for example I personally do not mind the change of speed, so if it bothers me, is not giving time to change ship

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

When i'm host - i'll select mode. That's it.
    I gave enough time to select ship or leave
    or whatever. I'm best at rapier - so why don't
    select that ? Feel free to leave my room and go
    for a cool nice beer to calm down

pretty much how it is.

i have upped the speed from venom to phantom in my rooms cos i can do phantom ok.
    i have also gone from phantom down to venom too
    i allow time for ship changes and for players to leave.
    i see no problem in this and no one has ever complained though i do sometimes get requests which i do when im hosting so everyone has fun.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I usually pay little attention if the host has changed the race class or tracks until the race has started.
    It's a "your the host, surprise me" sort of attitude
    Phantom to Rapier is OK by me, Phantom to Venom though is too big a shock to the system, I think I'm suffering huge lag when the race first starts, until I look at the amount of laps, then it twigs it's Venom and I can go and make a cup of tea while racing.

Changing race type though annoys me, if I wanted to play Eliminator or Zone Battle [rare for me to play either] I would of chosen a different room.
    If I'm hosting and want to change race type and the room is full of people I don't know, I quit my own room, and then start another with the different race type.
    If it's friends in the room then I'll message the change Y/N and wait for the reply.

fair point....especially about game modes as not everyone knows all the modes...
    for me i dont play eliminator so i wont ever join a room if the room i am in changes to it i wil leave and find a race room..

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

First of all people, i'm not über-pissed off, fulminating all around about this issue, like i said in my first post.

I did not proceed with a personal attack against Brummpahh with this thread. I was more an interrogation regarding such way to react/act. To illustrate why i ask such things, i had to explain somehow what happened for me to point out the question, and that involved such skilled pilot like him. Maybe that's what lead you all to think i was secretly angry?

I said it and i say it again: i didn't say he was cheap/lame, only the move that seemed to be happening here. I know its easy to think i did. But again, it was not the case, and i still have respect toward him, and he knows that.

The answer your 1st question Jasmin, i think both are cheap.

Saturn, i know there's the Quit button and all. Maybe i didn't want to quit and try to search again for the very few Phantom rooms available these days, if there's any. With the introduction of PS+, a lot of newcomers are into WOHD and they don't necessary play Phantom. I actually did the race anyway also.

Brummpahh, again, i didn't want to hit you on the head, but i assume what i said and don't try to give lame excuses or change my comments like it was "just a joke". In opposite to what you said, you did not allowed some time to change ships and you keep the same track (Chenghou Reverse) to race on. Mostly that's what brought me to think this was kinda suspicious and cheap. It also crossed my mind that a pilot with expert skills such as you didn't need to do that, i was surprised of this. And again, it's not the only time i see this happening. Another reason why i came up here to ask people. People have aaaall the rights to do whatever they want while hosting, but sometimes its very hard to keep abstraction of the obviousness of changing Classes and start the race in a split second because the host is facing a losing streak, and not necessarily facing me. There's much better pilots than me out there, i don't try to buy pity out of people and say i SHOULD have won.

In the end, i didn't want to send you out in the bonfire. It could have been anybody, it's nothing personal. You're free to think whatever you want, but i'm saying this out of good will.
    Last edited by Kyonshi; 7th September 2010 at 01:24 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

Hey Kyon, I think you make be over thinking it xD. If you are in a room where pro pilots are simply pulling away every race in their particular speed class I think it is understandable that the host would want to change to a speed class where they can be more competitive. Downshifts in speed I don't think are that bad, phantom to rapier being an example. I don't think the host is trying to sabotage you as much as simply be able to keep up you know? Even though I know a lot of us here are super competitive over Wipeout there are still people who aren't and like to keep things mixed up, casual racing in a way. What I find worse is when I get into a venom room and the host switches it up to phantoms real fast and hits go. There he's just trying to punish new players or get easy times.

The thing about the instant start however yeah can be annoying but I think I could find the patience to wait until the next race to select my ship. Or u could msg the host or simply quit.

I think the big thing to remember here is that online single race is really not half as serious as say speed lap, due to the inherent randomness of the metagame. Simply fly as fast as you can and blow stuff up. If you don't win just be cool about it. If you don't like the way the room is being run, ummm, well I dunno it never really struck me as being life or death ya know?

A bit of advice that helps me out, if things simply aren't going your way, kill something Always makes me feel better.

If I talk like a scatterbrain I'm sorry Just random thoughts that came to me from your post. Keeps hitting the tracks man

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Reaper, I already said that i can understand that hosts not as experienced as we are may change the Class to something more suitable to their rhythm. The case that specifically happened in my explanations seemed to be based on an impulsive move by a very skilled pilot. I also didn't said i had to win and that i had to be given the chance to keep winning, or that someone tried to "sabotage" my streak like you mentioned. I did the race anyway on Rapier. I never said it was catastrophic but simply that maybe this type of action has been going on without me really noticing it. Of course its not a matter of life or death. I'm far from feeling screwed up if someone change Class lower than Phantom But i certainly don't like someone shifting from Phantom to Flash or the dreadful Venom.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

:O venom is mah buddy :O (lol jk) I went back and read ur posts, okay things changed in your other posts but in you first one what I recognized from your comment was that you didn't like it when people change speed class to beat you(like in general, not specifically u lol)? I think? I dunno I've never been one for reading comprehension but as far as noticing this the only time I have noticed it is when a phantom room has been passed along to another pilot. He lets it go phantoms for a few races and after losing for a bit switches it down to something slower. I can't say I have had the same experience for as you truthfully so it's a little difficult for me to understand. So I don't really have a reaction to express

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding things I'm just trying to put together what you and the others are saying about this topic.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I've experienced this and it was a long time back so it has been going for a while. Something slightly different I noticed on rather a few occasions, the host will set up a Phantom room to goad people in then quickly change it down and hit X almost instantly. This is just plain annoying and in doing so changes my goal from potentially trying to win the race to simply painting a target on and bombarding the host as much as I can throughout the race with the intention of elimination.

The people that don't allow a small amount of time for ship change, not that I change ships but I can imagine how annoying it is also need dealing with, in a swift and rockety fashion.

Haha thats funny.inconsiderates get terminated by way of rockets..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

IMO you're reading a bit too much into someone changing speedclass and starting in a hurry.

When it happens to me (which isn't often), I simply quit the race if I don't feel like a venom|flash|rapier race. Which I don't...

What I hate more is when the host quits a busy room and the new host don't realise that he/she/it is the new host. One would think they would catch on after the same track has autostarted 3 times in a row, but sadly no...

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

If people have such a problem with this, why don't they start their own room? Just throwing it out there if they can't handle pilots who want to make a room more of a challenge by trying to evening out the odds, no other two ways about it in my opinion.

something about room host that bugs me a little..

they pick a track and you beat them..
    they play the track again and you beat them
    they play the track again and they win
    suddenly they pick a different track they win
    but they wont play again cos they won..

i change the track regardless of if i win/lose..as a host i want everyone to have a good time and not get babyish or silly because thats what a host is supposed to do.

plus side about these types of room hosts is you dont feel bad when you turbo past them at the finish line or single them out for some rocket massage..

its also funny when you win 10 times in a row and they still wont change the track and everyone has left the room.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I probably seem guilty of that sometimes. I might repeat the track if crazy lag shenanigans go down, like getting pushed through the track, or like the other day, where I got knocked off Sol2 and stranded on a wing for ages. But it's not like I'm trying to do it until I win, just until I have a normal race. If I do win though, then that's exactly what it would look like. When I host, I've more recently started to do two races per track if it gets like that. That way everyone has a second chance if the first one sucked for them.

thats fine me too.but im talking about serial play till i win that track types..not the host that messed up and plays again here and there..

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    something about room host that bugs me a little..

they pick a track and you beat them..
    they play the track again and you beat them
    they play the track again and they win
    suddenly they pick a different track they win
    but they wont play again cos they won..
    Or after all this, they leave the room the minute they finally win. I chuckle everytime i see this... Pfffff...

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    I probably seem guilty of that sometimes. I might repeat the track if crazy lag shenanigans go down, like getting pushed through the track, or like the other day, where I got knocked off Sol2 and stranded on a wing for ages. But it's not like I'm trying to do it until I win, just until I have a normal race. If I do win though, then that's exactly what it would look like. When I host, I've more recently started to do two races per track if it gets like that. That way everyone has a second chance if the first one sucked for them.
    Exactly my type too. I will repeat the track if:
    - Laggy ships are pushing me around and making me fall off track.
    - I slightly touch some structure on the sides and it rockets me 100 feet high in the sky for half an hour.
    - I get destroyed because someone initially hit me with a weapon and while i'm paralyzed on the track, the following pilots take the opportunity to unleash the Apocalypse on me.

At this point it doesn't really bother me if i win or lose, its like you say, i wanna have a normal race.

I will also do the same track again if someone among the pilots, who is my friend online, gets destroyed. Just to give a second chance because i know how this can be heavily annoying