Thread: Why didn't WipEout HD launch with the Eliminator game mode?

PSN ID
    Ez_I_iNFaMoUs_x

Lightbulb Why didn't WipEout HD launch with the Eliminator game mode?

WipEout Pulse had an Eliminator mode when it launched, but it was only the WipEout HD Fury expansion pack that brought this game mode into the game.

I am just curious to know why WipEout HD di not launch with the Eliminator game mode, it seems a bit stupid that they waited until the new DLC. I also think that all the "New maps" in WipEout HD Fury are recycled from previous games (Pure and Pulse). There are not many maps in WipEout HD that haven't been in a previous WipEout game. Thankfully all the maps in this game have excellent gameplay and fantastic visuals. Still... They need to bring new material into the game. Mainly, Maps.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I don't know the answer, but I would speculate that time was the main factor.

The developer diary blog might have some more information:
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/tag/wipeout-fury/

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Correction: all tracks are from WipEout PurE and WipEout Pulse.

PSN ID
    Ez_I_iNFaMoUs_x

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Correction: all tracks are from WipEout PurE and WipEout Pulse.
    As this is a "WipEout" forum, I didn't really feel the need to put "WipEout" in lol

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I don't think you understand.

I read that you said most tracks came from WipEout PurE and WipEout Pulse.
    There are not many maps in WipEout HD that haven't been in a previous WipEout game
    My correction is that all tracks come from these games.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

There was a hint given by one of the Studio Liverpool staff when they got the news at the beginning of the year that a lot of them were going to be retrenched, that they had been at least partially started working on new tracks, but Sony had said to them that there was to be no more new Wipeout games after Fury.

So Wipeout is in limbo atm, if and when it will be resurrected again, who knows.
    Don't expect any new DLC for HD
    And if eventually a new Wipeout is given the go ahead, expect it to be different from what has been before, as a new team will be building it.

PSN ID
    Ez_I_iNFaMoUs_x

@Darkdrium777

Those are the only wipeout games I've played apart from the very first (Wip3out). I did put Pure and Pulse in brackets. Lol, I thought you were making a joke because I didn't put "WipEout" in front of them ! Sorry man :S, lol.
    Last edited by RiPPeRZz; 2nd September 2010 at 07:57 AM.

PSN ID
    Ez_I_iNFaMoUs_x

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    There was a hint given by one of the Studio Liverpool staff when they got the news at the beginning of the year that a lot of them were going to be retrenched, that they had been at least partially started working on new tracks, but Sony had said to them that there was to be no more new Wipeout games after Fury.

So Wipeout is in limbo atm, if and when it will be resurrected again, who knows.
    Don't expect any new DLC for HD
    And if eventually a new Wipeout is given the go ahead, expect it to be different from what has been before, as a new team will be building it.
    Really, there not making any more?, thats annoying. Even if they do make a new game, you said it yourself: it's a new team, so I won't even bother buying it, because it won't be the same

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well, WipEout is a grand classic for Sony. I'm guessing the next team that will create a WipEout game will be as talented as the one that just left us. They may have a different vision of the game, but I would give them a chance.
    After all, each WipEout game is different. And each are excellent.
    We have:
    WipeOut and WipEout 2097 (And WipEout 64 arguably) - One vision.
    We have Wip3out and Wip3out SE - Another vision.
    We have WipEout Fusion, and though many feel that it is the weakest (I haven't tried it) it is still - One vision.
    And finally, we have WipEout PurE, WipEout Pulse and WipEout HD - All from Colin Berry and associates.
    Thank you all for these different approaches to WipEout.
    For me there's no doubt: WipEout will come back at some point. It will be different for sure. But it will be good. Give it a chance

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You need a strong vision behind any new wipeout.
    As Colin Berry said previously, as soon as he joined SL as QC he had designs of making his OWN wipeout, that became Pure/Pulse.

If it were left to a committee or forum like this to design a new wipeout, I have a feeling we would not be happy with the end result.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

Wipeout is selling too much to just go away. You don't drop a franchise when it's still doing very well (Yea they're gonna make another Halo, I guarentee you that). It will probably be different than what it is now, but it'll still be awesome.

As for Fusion, I recently bought it to check it out and it's not that bad actually. Don't keep the other Wipeout's in mind and you may enjoy it. I do wish they'd incorporate the off-track sections of that game, those were kinda fun. It's different and not as good as the others, but it's by no means a bad game.