Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon vs Speed pads

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

Default Weapon vs Speed pads

I'm sorry if there is already a discussion about it, I couldn't find it.
    So, when you're in a weapons race and you have to choose what to get, a weapon or a speed pad which one do you go for? Because up until recently I pretty much always went for the speed pad. I even missed weapon pads that have to change my racing line for example the first weapon pad in Vineta K and the one after the tunnel on Moa Therma. I just prefer playing without shooting other players shave seconds off my time every way possible. But recently I tried going for the weapon pads and it seems a lot easier that way, because if a speed pad gives me 0.5 sec boost a turbo gives me 1 sec boost a shield may protect me from 2 sec slowdown and a weapon may slow my enemy 2 seconds. And I can do more barrel rolls without worrying for my shield energy.

So what do you prefer in a weapons race, speed or weapon pads?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

Depends what's needed really. On a map with a lot of barrel roll possibilities I'm more likely to go for weapon pads, or whenever I need energy. It depends on the situation though, if you sometimes feel you just need to get away from an annoying bugger then speed pad.

Depends.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Unless its a weapon-less race, you can't really stand up for only one type of pad. If you keep going on weapon pads, you will of course never grab any speed except for Turbos, but they will never happen as often as a speed pad, and the latest can also give you good barrel-roll combination possibilities. Though you'll always beneficiate of having plenty of energy, you will less likely have the chance to catch-up. Its a very challenging way to play, but also the most "unefficient" in some way.

If you stick up for speed pads only, then its as obvious as it is. No energy whatsoever, and augment the risk of being self-destroyed or by someone else. Unless its a Green race, its again a challenging way to play, but highly hazardous. If i really had to choose between those 2, i would choose speed pads, but with my thrustworthy, 90 Shield Fury Mirage.

I have always said that one of the secret to win in WOHD is proper, strategic and efficient pick-up usage. That includes speed pads. So all in all, you can't really stick up for one or the other in a regular race. The best of the best among us always try to keep a balance between the two, and from one track to another, its never the same story and you have to adapt to the unexpected every second. Hence the first WipEout slogan ever; "Improve reaction time!"

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

Yeah, of course your choice will be different depending on the situation. And of course you can't play strictly using one and completely ignoring the other. I meant in the general case which one do you go for

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

If you're just in front of someone, try to get the weapon pads, trust me on this!

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

If the weapon pad is immediately after the speed pad(ie first speed pad then weapon pad),then it's the best. If you have to choose,that depends on the situation.
    If you are in front,you would want to go for a weapon pad so that if anything happens,you can retaliate(ie turbo so that you won't be affected too much by the hit)
    If you are at the back,it's your choice,but hope for the best and try to get a turbo to close the gap.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    icarasDragon

If I'm in full forward places, I'll get Speed Pads until I KNOW that the Weapon Pad right there is going to give me a Shield or Mines, Bombs, or Turbos
    If I'm full back, Weapon Pad spamming

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I have a standard approach for pretty much any situation. Only thing that changes is the track and the technique that goes with it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Just checking, but there's not any way to tell what you will pick up from a weapons pad is there?

PSN ID
    kgb1971

If there is, I don't know what I've been doing for two years!

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

There's a secret way of knowing what will come up

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I don't believe you.

I just wondered as I never realised there were green and red pickups until green races came up, 'cause of my dodgy eyes. Thought maybe pads changed green to red and I missed it or something.

In the first game the colour of the pad you went over determined what powerup you got, but I don't think that applies here. :/

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

I used to think that way as well,but after I read the PurE manual,I saw that weapons are randomised. And I find it very hard to predict what weapon you will get.Unless of course you use probability,but the probabilites are again theoretic.

Of course it depends but usually i prefer the weapon.

PSN ID
    madwiperII

As far as I know wip3out was the only version in the series, where you could tell if you were going to get an offensive or defensive weapon. Offensive weapon pads flash yellow/red, and defensive pads flash green/yellow. In HD, they are just solid red - no way of knowing (shame).
    And as for deciding on a speed pad or a weapon pad, I usually prefer speed pads, and preference them. However, sometimes, when I feel it is appropriate I will go for a weapon pad. I usually end up being called the most aggressive player in the badge section at the end of an online race, so maybe I use weapons more than most other players?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

i think it depends on the situation you're in. if you're closely in front of the pack, it's smart to take every possible weapon pad, cause this way you protect yourself from being attacked from behind. if you're in front by a large gap, it's smarter to take the fast lane (take every possible speedpad). if you're at the back of the pack by a large margin take every possible weapon pad to get as many turbo extras as possible. if you're right into the action (you're one of the pack, but not the leader of the group), you should stay on the fast lane.

this is pretty much my basic strategy, and everyone who raced against me can tell you that i end up on top in most races

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

^^ You mean top in ALL races...!

Yea anyone say it depends and everybody knows.So why is this thread for?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    liquid_kit aka_k_dog

tactics