Thread: Does WipeoutHD have forward/rearward pitch to the vehicle controls?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Does WipeoutHD have forward/rearward pitch to the vehicle controls?

Long time HUGE fan of the wipeout series. Wipeout, XL, 3 & 64 were the years I played the game. When they released Wipeout Fusion I believe on PS2 I was super excited just to be let down by how terrible they made the controls. Felt like you were pinned to the track and the element that allowed you to basically fly if you wanted to off jumps was removed. I loved being able to not only control left and right but up and down. Like on a steep downwards drop off I would either pull back on the analog stick to allow my vehicle to pitch upwards and fly off the drop off or press forward to hug the track. I really feel this added a huge deal to the controls and really is what made it FEEL different then old Fzero or car games.

I haven't had a chance to play any newer Wipeout titles since the disappointment in Fusion. Please tell me in Wipeout HD they got back to their roots the controls aren't like Fusions and allow for more then just left/right controls?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It has pitch, but it's nowhere near as significant as in the early games. You're never really going to have to pitch to prevent yourself from bottoming out or bouncing around on landing. Neither can you flt off jumps in the same way. It's more that you have to pitch down to get back to the track earlier, or avoid flying off it after boosting off a jump, for example. But you're not completely stuck to the track either.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You are definitely not stuck to the track. Emphasis on not stuck.
    But the ships are heavier and you can't really fly off everywhere. However in certain parts, you can definitely fly.
    There's no more law that governs anti-gravity ships staying five meters above the track constantly.

i think pitch really counts on chengu left hander through the tunnel and subenco both ways its also 100% vital for hard barrel rolls and turbo barrel rolls to get the exact height needed to do what you want to do..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LurifaxFlux

As far as I know, pitch only counts when you are on the ground, so if you want to make a higher jump for example, you have to hold pitch before the jump.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure pitch have no effect while airborne.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Pitch has an effect when you are airborne as well, but not in the same way as in the older games.

In WOHD if you pitch up or down whilst airborne it's usually because you're trying to land more quickly/slowly depending on the situation. Usually it works in conjunction with having done some pitching before becomming airborne but it still has an effect Sometimes you want to go a little bit further (Tech De Ra open section boost), sometimes you want the opposite (Ubermall boost) (excuse the crap examples ).
    What you need to know about these things is that neither of these will have much of an effect on 'how' you land, so like Saturn said, pitching up/down won't really prevent you from bottoming out because it's not really part of the game dynamics any more.

As for pitching when you're on the ground it's also more of a control factor; helping you get somewhere (whether it be sticking to the floor by pitching down or pitching up to batch some air), it won't really effect your speed along the ground because you'll never properly smack the floor if your not controlling your pitching properly.

In short, it's not like fusion where your ship is glued to the track, but it's not floaty in the same way as 2097 (the only one I can remember, could be the others too) either.

Something along those lines