Page 98 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Does anyone know how to pick a font, change its width and save it back as another font without much effort? Cos I can't seem to find anything to make it real... thx in advance

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

you could probably open the font file in illustrator or something, export a picture file of it and stretch that file, then you should somehow be able to make it into a font file, though I'm unsure of the specifications of a font file of course.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Short history how turned out my attempt to change font width:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hell yeah!!! I've somehow managed to change their width Ok, so now into Unity... hmmm, shouldn't they be different?... eeeerm..... oh, after changing this option and it changed to my version, yaaaay! Hey, why it turned back into this unchanged one? Why this option that was working before is not working now?! Unity!!! WHYYYYY!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    And that's how I've been just f***** up again by Unity To be continued...

EDIT: Hah! I had to take this font again from system folder, open it with font editor and save it changed with the same name and put it into the same folder as other fonts I'm using (differently colored fonts).. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ^^ Sorry for another part of "Angry Zero" xd
    EDIT2: Nevermind, it stopped working again after restarting Unity...
    EDIT3: Eeeeh, Unity created itself a font file which was taken from system fonts folder and deleting it helped... lol
    EDIT4: Uh huh, when compiled game uses properties of system font instead of properties of font that I've put in the folder I'm using font from...
    EDIT5: Oh, now I've changed some things inside the font and now it's working xd

Anyway, small change log:
    - game code is much faster than before
    - physics is a bit tweaked but that's just because I'm still working on it...
    - new HUD
    - HUD is shaking on collision (strenght depends on collision strenght)

@Xpand: What do you think about this idea: When u'll be done with exams I'll send you the newest version of SSGX Project with "FullShipController" script full of comments so you'll know what is happening in there and tweak physics related parts as you wish and later you'll send a demo which we will test and comment/post suggestions about it so we will have a nice physics in SSGX?
    @Aspect: If you want I can send it to you too so you can play with it too
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 30th June 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

YO!

School's out so, I have 2 months with this "big family" here

Meh, as all my intro's get read over quick , let me get to the most asked question... from me;

What'd I miss and what should I do?

P.S. I see a new guy, sup

Zero: sounds great, I'd love to do some testing for you!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Hey there.

I was thinking about creating some new & interesting race modes for Slipstream but it's really not so easy to think about something groundbreaking since we know about Zone, Eliminator, Detonator etc. already. Anyway, I wrote down a few ideas but since I don't know all of this is realistic to code, feel free to change the ideas or tell me it's nonsense

Wavebreaker
    Multiplayer
    Would be the first team-mode race for a Wipeout alike game. There are two teams on the track, team one starting a little ahead of team two. Team one is the "wave" and team two the "breakers". Basically the breakers just need to stop the wave. In detail that means that team wave wins if they complete 5 rounds or eliminate all breakers. Team breaker wins if they eliminate all guys from the wave-team or simply overtake all guys from the wave team.
    Further on, there are no speed pads on the track and you won't get a turbo pickup. Team wave actually only gets dropable stuff like bombs and mines [and barriers??] and team breaker gets canons or rockets. Of course both of them can get shields. Oh and of course it is not possible for anyone to drive backwards [like if team wave managed it to get far infront, team breakers can't go backwards to wait for them]. If you go backwards or your speed stays under 10% for a certain time, your shield energy will decrease immediately.
    I know the idea is in early state and I don't know if it's even possible to do this, but it's just an idea after all.

Training
    Singleplayer
    No AI, infinite rounds. The track has more contrast than the ambience, or the ambience is black&white or blurred. This mode is just for training on the track. Kinda like speed lap. Of course, this mode can't be used in campaigns aswell.

Double Race
    Singleplayer, Multiplayer, Campaign
    "Double race" instead of "single race". Half of the contenders are racing the track forward, the other half backwards. Of course it works only on tracks where both directions can be raced. This could be kinda interesting if you imagine a quake rolling up on you from infront because someone from the other half of the players shot it. Also there are speed pads for both directions of the track so if you race over a speed pad for the other direction, it actually slowes you down for a moment [just like in Wipeout].

Nightflighter
    Singleplayer, Multiplayer, Campaign
    Actually the opposite from "Training". Basically a normal race with AI, weapon & speed pads. The difference is that everything is much darker, the contrast between track and ambience is not so high and there are no ambient lights [also no lights on the track itself]. Of course you can still tell where the track is, it shouldn't be totally dark of course xD but you have to be familiar with the track after all cause you can't see so well. In fact the only real light is from explosions or from the engine. This video inspired me to the race mode:

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

@Aspect: Okay, uploading now...
    This version is stable one although there needs to be some adjustments added (especially stability related things). As for now engine fire changing is turned off as I plan to change it a bit, results screen is is not working as with HUD change, script has to be changed too. (that's probably not everything I wanted to say so I'll add something later)
    Enough of this, now, to open the project you need newest version of Unity (gooogleee), when you have it installed go to project folder and find Assets/Pre-SetScenes/C-Distra+Cassandra.scene, here if you press play button you can play normally. Now open FullShipController in Assets folder and search for huge green noticeable text where you have function that controls anti-gravity. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask

Controls: "r" to restart, "x" to thrust, "c" to change camera, "b" to boost, arrows: pitching, turning, barrel rolling

Compiled version of game for everyone: https://rapidshare.com/files/3545173..._Beta_Test.rar
    Project files: https://rapidshare.com/files/7385951...ject_Files.rar
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 30th June 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Looks great! Only decrease the track scale by like 5-10% and it's good! Also I edited the track so the walls are smaller and the ships don't look very small in it. But you have to use the "trackwall" object to make the wall collision work correctly. I'll send it whenever I can... next monday or so!
    Last edited by Xpand; 30th June 2012 at 07:15 PM.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

If you want you can set-up everything and send me set-up scene back cos I think I'm not going to take care of anything not related with programming anytime soon xd
    Anyway, project files are up 2 posts earlier

@Docfo4r: Wavebreaker sounds good Something like car chase in Most Wanted Nightflighter is nice too with its climate ^^ Although multiplayer gameplay is still far from being begin...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Thank you zero
    Yeah I know, we're far from multiplayer at the moment. It was just an idea that came into my mind and since it won't be really enjoyable in single player mode, it could be a multiplayer thing.

Actually these are just basic ideas. If you like to, keep them in mind so we can create a list of ideas for racing modes and when we reach the point to program then, we can decide which ones would be nice to be intregrated in SSGX.

Hey how about someone write a definitive, or at least partially definitive backstory for the game? But I mean a whole backstory, not bits of it. It probably won't be something you will do in a day. It doesn't have to be very long. Probably just to work as like an introduction to the game, or an extra.

BTW I hate rapidshare... It's saying that 52 minutes are left since 1.5 hours ago... I even downloaded Unity (500 so MB) in the time that the project (400 so MB) advanced by 1%...
    Last edited by Xpand; 30th June 2012 at 10:19 PM.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

During night time it seems to limit speed for free users cos I have same problem... better give up and try again tommorow.
    btw. Did you know that by pressing "d" or "f" you can side shift in SSGX newest release?

LOL Dude! That crash effect is awesome! And the AI camera thing is just genius! Almost looks like a regular Wipeout game!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

He he, thanks Camera while barrel rolling is fixed too (if you manage to download project files open Delcor City scene and check them), although making this barrel roll using torque is still on my to-do list. Also, don't know if you noticed (you had to xd) that hotizontal aligning of ship is present in this version (just stand somewhere on a hill perpendicular to a wall ) achieved by creating external axis for player's ship ^^ That means that I can make ship bank on mag-strips if someone wants xD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Hey I can write a backstory if you like to
    Yeah, it will take a few days for sure to work out something with quality, but we don't need the story to be done within the next hour anyway, right? I'd love to write something down.
    Should the backstory go on in the career mode? I have some good ideas already

For now I'm thinking more of a generalized story, like what events happened before the amateur league and how they sparked the creation of an Amateur league. We can include how some teams were formed, based on their description, though I would keep pilot names out to simplify. Things like that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Alright, got it

BTW Zero: I tested your latest demo of the game. For the HUD, I must say it looks awesome! Really good job. Maybe make it a liiiittle bigger but it's cool. But I have to say something about the controls... Did you chance them since the last demo? Because they feel kinda strange and uncomfortable, sry to say. When I hit the thrust-button, it feels like the ship is gaining speed after 2 seconds or so. And when I crash into the wall and let go of the thrust for a second to correct the line, the ship always comes to a full stop. Acceleration is very slow in the beginning but at some point increases like crazy, don't know if that is good for a race feeling...

But maybe you just wanted to demonstrate the HUD, it's awesome. Same goes to the shaking effects when crashing, good work on that!
    Last edited by docfo4r; 1st July 2012 at 12:45 AM.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Well, I need to do some corrections to this feature called "Engine Torque"? in which when you hold thrust button an variable increases which multiplies acceleration variable (this should make ship start fast when stopped by constant collision with wall becouse engine is already rushing and doesn't need to spin-up) and when relased this variable is dropping (a bit too fast xd)

Lol, if my teacher heard me saying "Engine Torque" in the context of a linear movement he would kill me! xD
    I can get thrust acceleration data from real jet engines and apply it into the game. Assuming we are using jet engines to move the crafts I can get thrust-increase ratios so we can calibrate our acceleration with that. But that's a very smart system and pretty realistic, because a real jet engine wouldn't stop producing thrust when you collided with the wall (providing that it would survive such impact forces).

By the way how do you made the light map on your version. What settings did you use?

And where do you change the ship's height?

And where do you change what ships can be selected by the AI?

And why doesn't the AI respond when I make changes to their top speed in the AI script?
    xD So many questions!
    Last edited by Xpand; 1st July 2012 at 05:44 AM.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

1. Lightmap settings: Mode (Single Lightmap), Quality (High), Ambient Occlusion (0.75), Max Distance (0 (unlimited)), Contrast (1.5), LOD Surface Distance (1), Resolution (80 texels per world unit)

2. You mean how high it is over ground? Well, there is no single value for that: try changing ray lenght + "anti-grav" force (comments should lead you to you destination xd)

3. Search for "RaceSequencer" script in assets/scripts/other, there: first add a new variable under comment "Enemy ships models" and name it as shown (doesn't have to be like that but just for readability), then in "function Start" add new line where: "name of variable you've just created" = Resources.Load ("prefab name in /Assets/Resources");

Ok, now look for function LoadEnemyAIShips where u must
    change Random.Range (0,"number of ships") and add line in "switch" like: case(8): RandSelectorModelEquivalent = "name of your variable"; break;]
    Finished, enjoy ^^:+

4. Hmmm, wait... which variable are you changing: "Speed" or "SpeedVar"? Cos "Speed" is for that (this one in inspector window)
    btw. Newest version of Unity allows you to select multiple objects with same variable and change it the same as you would for one object.
    btw2. You can start placing speed and weapon pads on cassandra ;P

EDIT: Full PS3 controller support added to SSGX :)
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 1st July 2012 at 12:48 PM.