Page 87 of 179 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Yeah? I just read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation

......Thanks now my brain hurts

That bonus pic looks awesome bro

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Oh! That sounds cool!

Zero, do you have my cassandra description?

Mu, that was a good way to start my morning, reading about magnetics. Now Im thinking about it... hmm...
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 18th May 2012 at 10:28 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Cool. Can you also try to figure out how to make something float without having magnets beneath it?

In addition, I want to add airbrakes to my car to make it stop faster. Any suggestions?

Superconductive materials don't need to have magnetic fields present for them to levitate. You can create levitation with electric fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post

In addition, I want to add airbrakes to my car to make it stop faster. Any suggestions?
    Airbrakes are only useful in highway speeds or higher. At low speed they do nothing. The best type of airbrakes for cars are roof deploying spoilers or a boot deploying air brake, like the ones on those Porsches. But roof ones work better for average highway speeds because they catch most of the airflow. I suggest you use a worm gear connected to a servo motor and a regular gear connected to the airbrake's pivot point. It will massivelly reduce the stress on the servo motor, plus helps holding the spoiler in position. The only bad side is that it isn't too quick to deploy.
    Something like this:
    http://www.geardesign.co.uk/images/gears/worm-gears.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_drive
    Last edited by Xpand; 18th May 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Couldn't you use hydraulics or pressurized air pistons to make the control surfaces react quicker though ric? or maybe that would be less durable and not at all as quick... I don't know engineering after all... in any case I read somewhere that really the only speeds where air brakes of the size that would be usable on a car, actually produce enough drag to have any effect beyond the negligible is above 150 km/h, after that though the efficiency rises quite dramatically, so much so that the air brake on the bugatti veyron has the stopping power of all the disc brakes on a volkswagen golf put together at speeds around 400 km/h.

would be fun to know if you could correct my factual errors or misses here actually physics can be fun.

You could use hydraulics or pressurized air. But the needed reservoirs for this kind of operation would take a bit more space than just the motor mechanism. The deployment time with the motor would depend on the motor's RPM speed and also the gear's number of teeth. The minimum area of an effective airbrake at speeds like 120-140km/h would be, I think, about 3-4 sq meters. But air drag increases with the square of the velocity, so yeah, at speeds over 200km/h things would get pretty interesting with this kind of airbrake. You would have to use a much stronger servo-motor, or even use hydraulics.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I wasn't entirely out of bounds then eh? Yey I understand basic science me! hehe. In any case having air brakes on anything slower than an audi-r-something seems to be slightly redundant as you will never reach speeds like that with out miles and miles of open road... Unless you use parachute air brakes like the ones dragsters use, but I think you'd have to be quite insane to fit something like that onto a road vehicle and also it's a one use breaks it kind of thing...

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Hello....has anyone even read my ideas?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

@f.e.i.s.a.r

Can't speak for anyone else but I read them.

Ok speedoval: I find speed ovals sort of boring ^^; plus I'm working on 2 tracks already, also how close to you paper clip design would you want it to be? because as it's a perspective view we cant extrapolate distances and such from the picture which we would need in case we were to use your design. Granted an oval is a fairly simple design but your paper clip design isn't just a simple symmetrical oval so how accurate we can be is all dependent on how close you want it to be to your design, I highly suggest you just get a pen and paper and draw it out on there top view and side view and write your preferred measurements. It might sound a bit anal but in order to make a good 3d model that's what we sort of need.

Mach1 speed: I'm all for it if we make the oval, they kinda go together

air braker ship: I don't ask if I want to design something man just get cracking I can't guarantee it'll make it into the game I know not all of my ship designs will for example but you don't need anyone's permission to design stuff. just make sure you design it orthogonally if you want someone to model it in 3d. Also any design you do we'd need a top and side view to model it.
    Last edited by Oryx Crake; 19th May 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Here's another pic of DC showing the tallest white skyscrapers in the horizon
    Attachment 6168

I'm looking at the track while listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na4Xt...feature=g-vrec

Attachment 6169
    OMG... This track is going to be perfect.... I can imagine the ships flying around with the sun reflecting on their metal skin, leaving dust clouds behind them. Pure speed combined with the beauty of the scene... I can see a white, red and black ship dominating the track. All it's three exhaust shoot reddish flames while the thundering sound of the plasma jet engine makes the birds fly out of the trees as the ship goes by.
    The pure white city in the horizon, while the clear blue sky illuminates the whole scene.
    Oh man... As much as I like Cassandra, DC seems like such a wonderful track...
    Last edited by Xpand; 19th May 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

The track indeed looks wonderful. And it relaxing to look at it with that music. Keep on working on it!

Just one thing: Do you really want to keep the track color like this? I think that brown is too bright for the rest of the ambience, maybe darken it a little bit?
    Other than that, I am really looking forward to this track!!

I'm sorry for my dumb question... But what does "DC" stand for, again?

DC: Draco Cavernae

I based the track's color from Blue Ridge. I think it goes well with the all natural scene and forest. Oh and it's orange, not brown.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Oh, alright. Sorry haha^^
    Anyway, I am excited to see more of your track. I really love the nature surrounding...

Nice track!

Update:

About to finalise my camera select system- I can now cycle through all ships and cycle through any cameras on that ship, as well as have an 'arena cam' that would let me have a more F1 TV style watching experience.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Seems like this project is going along well Congrats to all of you!
    My apologies for "dropping" out of the project back then, hopefully I will be able to help out again from now on.... I cant promise anything though :/

Let me know if there's anything I could possibly help with (not programming -.-)

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Default Mach One Speed Class 'Ovals'

These two are done on paper
    First oval
    Second Oval(Note:Last corner is meant to be a troll corner)
    These are completely digital
    Looks more like the traditional oval,but the corner at the bottom left hand side immediately before the straight can be used to catch pilots off guard
    1st two corners are like Indianapolis,then there is another troll corner...

These were done in a time period of less than half an hour. I would have added more details and quality if I had time.
    Undulations are up to the people who design the tracks.
    Anyone mind if the max speed for Mach One is 1500kph?

Timezone
    GMT -6

That is more than Mach 1, if I'm correct.

Though if there was also a Mach 2 (2450 kph), then that would be nice.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

mach 1 = 1224 km/h

mach 2 would be 2448 (just to be exact lol)

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

@Amaroq:That's the point. As long as it is above Mach 1,why be so nitty-gritty?
    And if the top speed is Mach 1 itself,it would be pointless,wouldn't it?

Mach 1 is 1224 km/h
    But why stop at mach 1 or 2, why not mach 3 with red glowing ships from all the air friction?
    I don't think we would be able to make a single turn without having the pilot collapsing over all the G force... An 80 kg pilot doing an average WO track turn at mach one would suffer a G force of about: F=m*a (=) Fc=m*ac (=) Fc=80*(340^2)/45 (The 45m is the radius of the turn) (=) Fc=... Let me get my calculator.... Fc=205511 N which is about 256.8 G... O.O
    For an admissible G force (10 G) the turn radius of the Mach one track should be of about 1156 meters... Lol That would make a turn length of about 7263 meters... Sheesh!
    Talk about a huge track. I guess it could be a speed-run test track, like the ones they use to test sports cars and stuff like that. But even so those are just like 15-20 km in length! Ahahahah
    Last edited by Xpand; 21st May 2012 at 11:34 PM.