Page 78 of 179 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Woo, ship showcase video.

Nice, has a 2097 vibe to it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

just randomly popping in for a question;

is there a reason why you didn't chose UDK for this? (it's free for non-commercial use)

and epic vid there^^^^

Cipher

ps sry if it was asked before

If you look in another thread in this section (I cannot remember the title though) I believe someone is using UDK for a project.

Well, zero3growlithe was already learning unity, so we went for it... That's why we didn't use any other SDK. I had Dark GDK too but I knew nothing about programming at the time, so it kinda died.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

^i'm a pro with UDK level design and kismet ^^
    don't start about scripting though

and saw that many ppl are doing projects like these, you guys want to make a computer version?

@rotational_aspect didn't find the UDK one, did find a cryengine guy ^^

and going to study Diital arts & entertainment and we'll be using unity cryengine and udk ^^

maybe, when this sin't done yet, i can jump in

Cipher

I think I was mistaken- that CryEngine example was the one I was thinking of.

For my project I use Blender, mainly as I am a beginner with scripting in general and I just like the idea of a combined 3d tool / game engine on a small usb stick for free.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

@Rotational_Aspect: Well, it's just turning ship and moving it in direction where next node is so putting a simple line of text which will detect mine/lock-on it's possible for an unexpected maneuver to occur
    @Xpand: Wooo, awesome ship-packed video Oh, and DarkGDK sucks... loading 3D models is lasting forever...

btw. Here's my simple example of new camera I've just implemented By the way you can check if AI difficulty is not too high as I've made them under my preference xd
    https://rapidshare.com/files/1099540...meProjects.rar

NOTE: Don't press "c" in-game, if you do just press "r" to restart game. In track selection screen "Tristans Inferior" is not completed so it's just for a simple ride. Some functions has been deactivated in-game due to works in progress in scripting. Brightness of engine flames is low due to missing shader needed for it so It's just light "trying" to make it glow... Airbreaks animations will come in later. end of message
    Ah, and "X" button is for accepting things and for thrust...
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 22nd April 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Wow it looks awesome. But why didn't you use the 1.2 scale on Cassandra? The ships look way too small... That's the only fault I can find in terms of looks. That and you should put the engine fire without shadows, self-illuminated if you wish. Also Tristan looks awesome. Does Unity support texture painting for terrain?

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Yes, BUT MY FREAKIN PC IS F SLOW LIKE HELL!! xD That's the only reason i can't paint it :> It's so goood I'll get new one this week (it was supposed to be ready to take on friday but Corsair RAM didn't come on time to magazines...).
    About scale... hmmm, for me they're too big with this scale xd
    As for Tristan maybe it looks nice but track is boring to fly on, especially on lower speeds... gotta correct that :/

Lol, well, put the ships any smaller and might as well call Slipstream RC (Radio Control).

Timezone
    GMT + 7

Jaws are dropped.
    Looking good so far! I know things is still in the works but I would like to list out a feedback, hope you don't mind :
    - Camera jerk quickly when you sheer in different direction. It need not fixing to the center of AG craft. Can we make it swing side to side like original Wipeout?
    - AG crafts' physics. The thing doesn't seem to slide. (But if you aim for something like WO Pulse/HD then disregard this feedback. )
    - Also the pitching should react quicker, both when ordered to do so and when returning to default pitch level.
    - AI beeline/slipstreaming right after each other, need more variety.
    - Interface. This bugs me out the most. In race no one's gonna have time to take a look at small little text at the side of the screen. It need a visual that makes every info players needed (Shield, speed, picked up weapon,lab time etc.) comes out clear by just a glance of it.

Suggestion/question:
    - How do we replenish our shield? Pit or absorb? (I'd go by absorb. Makes planning your line more important.)
    - Any mascot like WO3's Curly? I thought it'd be cool. I had drawn one named Blocky in my corporate logo sketch I posted before.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Actually I don't know why pitching is delayed so much as it worked fine is previous versions... I'll just change the way it works then xd
    As for rest of feedback... that's all? I'm kidding... well, I'll do something with A.I behaviour someday And for mascot... hmmm, show me your "Blocky" and maybe I'll think of something where to put it... I have to make an Race Start Counter other than this one I have now so maybe there like in WO3 ^^ Now for HUD... well, these days we have huge variety of different monitors with different aspect ratios and resolutions so making a HUD is a little hard... especially if you want to write script for it so I'll take care of it later xd

btw... any ideas on what cockpit to put into my ship, Estanteon? xd My damn imagination left me and I can't finish this damn thing... (this "thing" in the middle of my ship's "arms" is my Junky ship I've put just so Estanteon have something to connect these arms)

The AI question is an interesting one. Both Zero and myself have similar node based systems and from my experiments at least its not simple to add an avoidance system:

1: The ships are ALWAYS pointing toward a node- this means that if a ship sideshifts it (the ship) will swing out and it looks a bit strange. If this happens too close to a node the ship might even miss the node and double back on itself to pass the missed node, or the sideshift angle is too wide and the ship looses speed as its pointing the wrong way.

Another way would involve switching off the navigation quickly to dodge and then re-engage it, but again you have the problem of missing a node.

This can be solved by making the distance trigger of the node (i.e. a ship needs to be within this range to trigger it has 'passed' it) larger. This makes pathfinding slightly sloppier though, as the node path is not followed closely.

Also, if you are using linear velocities to sideshift an move forwards, you are mixing vectors which sometimes have unforseen interactions.

2: It would need a few rays to get working: one to detect the obstacle, and another (plus logic) to check the space the ship is moving into is empty. For those with i7s or quad cores ( hee hee ) this is not much of a problem, but for low end CPUs this is an extra thing to do.

These things are not impossible to solve, but they highlight the limitations of node based navigation.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Ok, in short:
    1. These are my nodes which cannot be missed: here
    2. Simple "for" loop is enough for objects near ship on specified distance to detect bombs and other things

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

took it upon myself to help out with some 3d modeling... I'm not as good as xpand or zero... well anyone obviously and I cant do textures worth a damn but here are some basic renders of Ifreet and some livery suggestions ifreet render 3.pngifreet render 4.pngifreetlivery1alt2.pngifreetlivery2alt.jpg

Zero: I forgot that Slipstream was track based! Since my game is set in the sky (i.e. flying) 3d movement has its headaches- I sometimes wish I stayed on the ground!

Oryx Crake: Nice!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I present the first pictures of Basin Park Run and incidentally Basin Park Hill an idea I've been working on for a while: 2 tracks on the same map, lower and upper level of the Basin park district in a hitherto unnamed city. Enjoy.Basin park1-2.jpgBasin Park 1.png

Draco cavernae update
    Attachment 6086