Page 75 of 179 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Well, if you imagine the levitating device being constantly perpendicular to the Earth's gravitational lines. Then you just had to make the ship bank around the levitator:
    Attachment 6001
    The red line is the levitating device plane section and the blue lines are the gravitational field lines.
    That way it would be limited by the angle set for rotation by the on-board computers.
    Jet engines, in principle are very simple. Where you can get more failures is in the mechanics and materials of it: Bird Strikes on the blades (if the craft has a fan jet engine, because there are Pulse-jet engines that do not need fans), refrigirating systems, metal fatigue, etc... I've been learning about jet engines for 6 years now, because of Flight Simulator. xD

A theoretical antigravity ship would probably be more like the Harrier jump jets 'puffer jets'- instead of having all the vessel being used as a repulsor you would have specific points underneath the body that push down (like on each corner to maintain stability). So to pitch up, the forward repulsor increases power, while the rear repulsor powers down.

Also, engines have a maximum power output rating that dictates the engines lifespan. If an engine runs at a higher thrust setting it will naturally wear out more quickly (for example looking at long haul airlines like Quantas and an A380 engine that exploded).

I though of that too Aspect, but here's the thing: if they're anti-grav ships, they are in an levity state. If you apply a longitudinal torque to it in a way that it changes it's position relative to the ground you have to be constantly "puffing" to maintain it controled, not to mention that if the anti-gravity device not 3D (same output force in all positions) you will have the ship dropping when you bank it. The puffing would be efficient in yaw motion, though... That's how you could turn without airbrakes.

This is interesting!

You could go the other way and think of any AG vessel like a helicopter- to go forward you angle the rotor forwards (i.e. tilt the ship forward) and this makes the ship drift forwards....or to turn you would have horizontal repulsors that push in opposite directions (like the reaction thrusters on spacecraft): e.g. to turn left, the front repulsor points right, and the rear one faces left (thus twisting the ship).

I imagined each puffer always readjusting anyway (each would not be fixed, but on a gimbal to aim it like vector thrust) so a sharp bank will have some repulsors facing down (to maintain buoyancy) and others to tilt the ship / propel it forwards. Obviously there would be more than four thrusters in this scenario: one would always point 'down' while the others would do the thrusting/ manoeuvring.

I know with my game I was going to have the racers flying within a magnetic bottle /mirror (like a giant torus or tube), or have generators that make a region 'flyable'.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I actually always imagined it working sort of like quantum locking with the AG generator essentially being a disc or some shape with the same properties where turning occurs due to the the motion and control surfaces much like it works in a regular aircraft. kinda like they tried to do in fusion with not so lovely results design wise, which is why the way I rationalize it they haven't included animations for such things. Just my thoughts anwyays

The quantum locking is the basis for my idea above. The levitating device is static while the ship banks and pitches around it. The actual yaw turning is achieved by jet bursts, like Aspect said...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Dusk118

But then how would you get that to work on tracks that don't have an actual track underneath the ship? Wouldn't the absence of it cause the ship to drop to the ground, rendering it immobile?

That won't be a problem since this is an Anti-Gravity ship, not a magnetic bsased Quantum lock. The ship uses the Earth's more or less constant and omnipresent gravity field to stay aloft.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Dusk118

Gotcha.

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Science, but not as we know it...

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Do you know what Mount Panama is...? It's a steep course, running up a hill and back down. That is my idea. Start low, race high reversed. Atlantis Run east is based on mount panama (the race track). So the complete atlantis run is about a 3 min lap.

Is it too long?

Yes, yes it is. Normal laps don't take more than 30 seconds, if played properly, this in a 5 km track. A 3 minute lap at max speed is as exhausting as a whole wipeout phantom race. One thing we could do is make that like a point A to point B race. Like in rally courses.

So, that track I was talking about in the canyon. It would have a section like this:
    Attachment 6012
    Only it goes underground inside the canyon walls, comes down almost vertical and levels down underground.

In case you're curious, here's a video of the rollercoaster:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApA3-kPAZwA

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Now you made want to ride on a rollercoaster xd As for your image of new track it sounds interesting One day i had nice image of a new track but i somehow lost it when i was making it in 3D so i don't know if it will look nice now... (classic)

EDIT: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Somebody take this fkin Unity from ahead of my eyes!!! This s*** is damn annoying! It hangs when I'm moving with just a f**** scene camera and newest version requires to reimport all fk**** assets again and it is fk*** not working as it should becouse scripts are fu**** up and textures are not assigned to objects! F*****!
    Wow... now I can't even run this sh** anymore.... GAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 3rd April 2012 at 04:25 PM.

I'm sorry for your troubles, Zero- sometimes new versions of Blender throw in some gremlins.

Out of interest, what has changed with newer versions of Unity? I assume from your problems the API has changed.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Well, for now i've only noticed that particle system has a lot more options and it's really cool now, and there is some mesh nav thing and i don't know what it is for xd Aside for that there is one problem with importing new models which are not in *.fbx format so i have to export them manually :/ Oh, and scripts seems to work now Somehow...
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 4th April 2012 at 05:40 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Unity 1, Zero... erm 0

I did some concept art in a lecture...

One question, is there any bridge on the track, Xpand?
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 5th April 2012 at 01:29 AM.

I haven't though about it in detail. I only have a vague idea of the track...
    So I got bored of studying calculus and added a bit more detail to the draco cavernae track:
    Attachment 6013
    Attachment 6014
    Attachment 6015
    Attachment 6016
    Attachment 6017
    Attachment 6018

While I don't come up with ideas to finish Vinet... Ahem... Cassandra...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I made a drawing of one Xpand this picture
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/att...3&d=1333661763
    But just at the crossover since you didn't put detail. I put my own in

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

@Feisar Rocket:How's my track coming along? If it is not done yet,I don't mind it being "DLC"