Page 53 of 179 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsBom View Post
    i am rather limited to what i can do on google sketchup, and on 3ds max i havent even got the hang of it yet :/

So Xpand/zero3growlithe/anyone who is an advanced user of 3DS MAX or Blender(?), i will have to hand over the work, i have done so far, to you.
    Not to discourage you .. but your mesh(es) contain allot of double / hidden / unnecessary polygons. So it would take quite some time to clean them up before they can be considered game-ready and / or somebody can continue with them. Obviously, SketchUp is ( at least partially ) to blame

Check out the following video to see some clean-up work on your mesh, so you can see a bit of the work involved.

http://youtu.be/eqm94mVtI4k

A design tip I was taught in college: never design on the computer.

What this means is finalise the design on paper first-the design should require no extra work once you start making the model.

If you are unsure of what shape your ship will take as you make it, start again on paper otherwise the design will be muddled and lack direction, as well as taking double the time to construct.

Yeah, Rotational is right.
    For example, for the ships I usually do something like half of the top view and the side view:
    http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...5e-d3juodc.jpg
    You can see the Solaris ship I made on the top...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

With drawing skill like yours Xpand, yes, but my skills for example are poor like hell and my concept drawing is so bad that final model would be better... but there sure is truth in Aspect's post if it comes to making models.
    I can only paint some landscapes and that's all if speaking of paper work

btw. Just finished my engines effects (looks realistic and better than WOHD's one although it totally different) thanks to your advices I got timer working and showing next lap timer on new lap. Now I'm correcting ship physics [still, it's really hard to get everything right although it doesn't look like so] and planing to make finish race screen with place and times shown.

Oh, come on zero, it doesn't have to as detailed as mine. Just as simple outline of the shape of the ship should do it then just add the cockpit window where you wanted it to be...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Outlined pictures of super strange ships with random details for example like this. Any of them looks at least a little nice to make in 3D? (i just don't want to make something useless again like my last tracks and ships "too many poligons")

btw. Getting rid off those particles I had in my game speed up my game by at least 40% ^^
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 11th January 2012 at 09:16 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Deleted
    Last edited by TrackEditor; 24th August 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Zone ship side views...

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=2531

It's 2 mb each, forcing me to use MyWZ...

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Quote Originally Posted by kei View Post
    Not to discourage you .. but your mesh(es) contain allot of double / hidden / unnecessary polygons. So it would take quite some time to clean them up before they can be considered game-ready and / or somebody can continue with them. Obviously, SketchUp is ( at least partially ) to blame

Check out the following video to see some clean-up work on your mesh, so you can see a bit of the work involved.

http://youtu.be/eqm94mVtI4k
    my bad i am quite new to this so yeah.... and half of the lines that i see on the ship, i didnt even make or see them before i exported it

Quote Originally Posted by Rotational_aspect View Post
    A design tip I was taught in college: never design on the computer.

What this means is finalise the design on paper first-the design should require no extra work once you start making the model.

If you are unsure of what shape your ship will take as you make it, start again on paper otherwise the design will be muddled and lack direction, as well as taking double the time to construct.
    about drawing on paper.... i am the world's absolute worst at that xD so i dont even bother, i just cant draw on paper
    oh and thanks for the tip, ill use that for later.... if i ever do draw things on paper

Quote Originally Posted by Xpand View Post
    Yeah, Rotational is right.
    For example, for the ships I usually do something like half of the top view and the side view:
    http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...5e-d3juodc.jpg
    You can see the Solaris ship I made on the top...
    Ill take that tip on board

thanks for the feedback everybody, although i kinda do fell a little discouraged.... oh well i'd get over it sooner or later

@feirsar rocket: the pictures are blurry and unviewable:/

Why are you limiting yourselves to basically use Wipeout as a full reference? Be creative, make several ships with more sources of inspiration other than wipeout. And then pick the one you like the most, improve it and post it. My ships are partly based on wipeout and partly in the aerodynamic properties of planes and partly from marine animals, mostly dolphins. But you can even look at star wars for inspiration...

Timezone
    GMT + 12

....Why are you limiting yourselves to basically use Wipeout as a full reference? Be creative, make several ships with more sources of inspiration other than wipeout...
    about that...... lol im actually not that creative but i will try to be next time.

and i now have nothing to do :/

Sorry for the double post...
    So I've been working on some menu music and I'm quite enjoying this one:
    http://kiwi6.com/file/66wwa1wso7
    What do you think?
    Keep in mind that it's like at 10% complete... I only added the main patterns. Still missing the variation patterns, plus the effects and stuff like that, plus correct some minor mistakes...
    I'm used this game's soundtrack as inspiration:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brJTy6kseWY
    Last edited by Xpand; 12th January 2012 at 01:07 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

So I've been working on some menu music and I'm quite enjoying this one:
    http://kiwi6.com/file/66wwa1wso7
    What do you think?
    i actually quite like it

@TrackEditor: i hope you read this!!! i keep getting an error on the application "TrackEditor" (refer to attachted pic) how do i fix it?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsBom View Post
    ...the pictures are blurry and unviewable:/
    I know, it's just that it's night time... night mode sucks at night but at day, it's some se*y-ness...

EDIT, one of them are okay but idk if I uploaded it...

LOL WET-ness...

Xpand I love it on it's own (10% completed) . Sounds like a black menu with 3 ships racing in the background and one blows up... in a WO3 fashion! Pixelating lines = WO3 ?
    Thats what I saw (imagined) with it until the piano comes.
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 12th January 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

... limiting yourselves to basically use Wipeout as a full reference...
    (sorry for double post)

No, XGRA this time

Except armored bikes don't fly...

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Deleted
    Last edited by TrackEditor; 24th August 2012 at 03:27 PM.

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Quote Originally Posted by TrackEditor View Post
    Here's an update of TrackEditor

What's new in v0.5?
    - UI internal improvement
    - Faster response time in subsection edit
    - Minor bug fixes
    So how in depth is this 'track editor' then?

Also i'm not sure XP can have the latest directx... you'll have to try and add some sort of compatability for us.

PSN ID
    apemax18

@ Killercrusher: The latest DirectX for XP is 9.0c. I have XP and the latest DirectX and the track editor works fine on my computer. You can update to the latest version of DirectX using this installer:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

@zero3growlithe: I got a new desktop for xmas (3GHz CPU, 1.5GB ram, 214MB graphics crad.) so i tried the latest version of your game (Page 94, Post 937.) and it runs very smoothly. The lowest it got to was 50 fps. Also if you hit the barrier in the right way you can make your ship fly really high up and fall back down again.
    Last edited by apemax; 12th January 2012 at 10:49 AM.

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

yeah, I checked afterwards. but now the problem is that track editor won't work because it can't find a specific file...

A few questions for zero:

Regarding your pathfinding, how are the ships moved? Are you using physics or simple delta location?

I am thinking about having various nodes that tell the ships what speed to do (i.e. this corners sharp, slow down to 20kph etc) but this only applies to the Bullet physics engine in Blender (without it the ships will crash on the first corner): if I use simple delta location the ships will never deviate from the path waypoints as delta location just teleports a shape from one place to another.